Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to start holding local cloth diaper meetings and/or teaching classes, and would like to get in touch with others who have done the same thing. I have lots & lots of questions, and would love to talk! Reply here, or e-mail me at this address

Also, is there still a yahoo group for those organizing classes? I know there used to be, but I tried searching for it once and didn't find anything.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
but not for big groups of people. Just for the ones who come to buy diapers. They are so much more willing to come if someone can show them how to use them. I don't have worksheets or anything.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If anyone is interested, I found the yahoo group!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cdclass/

I'm wanting to do larger-style meetings...more along the lines of the diaper parties that have been held in several areas around the country. I feel that it really needs to be broad-based diaper-wise, so that the focus is on cloth in general, and not just a promotion of MY type of cloth diapers, yk? Not everyone can do a whole stash of fitteds, and my ultimate goal is to get as many babies into cloth as possible, regardless of the type.

Doing short classes for a childbirth class is a very good idea! Any suggestions as to what should be covered in a short presentation like that?
What would YOU want to hear & see, if YOU went to a diaper class or meeting?

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Thanks for posting the yahoo group link. I have been thinking of contacting our local hospital(s) to do the same thing. I was thinking of contacting the woman who was my lactation consultant - she runs classes at the hospital - and seeing if she had any ideas about a class or discussion on cloth. I agree with you too ... let's get them in cloth!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have offered them here, not too much interest yet. I contacted an AP friendly hospital and a birth center and they are getting back to me about it. I offer them for free though. Not too many people want to pay for info. I am going to contact the adult education around here and offer a natural parenting lass that includes, babywearing, slinging, making your own baby food ect.

Corrie

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Mehndi Mama- That is a great idea, I've been thinking of how to spread the word some too.
I think that a quick class at a child birth class should cover a little bit about why cloth and not sposies, health, comfort, etc, a lot of sites have some great info you could get permission to share for people to read more later. I would take a variety of diapers to show too. You could demo a prefold, a fitted and a simple AIO like Bumpkins or another velcro AIO that works like a sposie, since those are most appealing to most people I think. I wouldn't go into every choice there is.
I would also have a hand out with the numbers on costs sposies vs. cloth. I would also give people a list with a few web sites where they can learn more/ shop. I hope that is helpful.
Good Luck!
Personally I had no idea cloth was a real option until I started coming here when dd was about 12 months, after I learned, I switched, but I wished I knew when she was smaller.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'd check the route of natural childbirth classes first just to get started. Usually people who are choosing an "alternative" birth are more open to other "alternative" ideas. My Bradley class is where I first learned about non-vaxing, cding, circumcision, etc. There was a woman on her 3rd baby and she brought some Kooshies to pass around but that was really it. No class time was set aside. I think it would have been different if we had had a guest speaker, kwim? My teacher did put a pamphlet from the local diaper service in our packets, though. That's how I got started

Someone posted about classes awhile back. I can't remember who.

There are so many options I wouldn't know where to start. I remember not liking the Kooshies right away. They felt plasticky and I couldn't imagine them being able to get very clean if they were aio, lol. I loved my diaper service but was always looking for a sweet wrap
After 3 kids, that's how I ended up here. FWIW, I think parents need to know how easy cloth is, how inexpensive it can be, and why it's not grose to put poopy diapers in your washing machine. I just tell people it's no different than when kids have pting accidents or your kid pukes all over the bed, pillows, blankets, etc. You put all that in the machine so what's the big deal?

Good luck. I'd love an update on how it goes when you get started.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.