Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,<br><br>
I'm just writing to share something useful I found. I went to a friend's house and she had a dog, and she had these special dog poop bags that are designed to go in the toilet. I was visiting with my DD Gracie and she had a messy diaper. When I changed her, my friend suggested I use the dog poop bag to dispose of the diaper. While I got Gracie diapered up, my friend slid the dirty diaper into the bag and tied it shut. She then took it next door to the bathroom and dropped it in the toilet, and flushed. To my surprise, the bag and Gracie's diaper both went down the toilet without any complaint. She gave me some of the bags and told me which pet store had them.<br>
I've since not thrown any of her messy Pampers away, every one of them goes in the bag and down the toilet. (Wet ones I don't care about the smell.) It sort of causes it to become slippery enough to not clog up. I think this is much more hygenic (but more costly) than a diaper pail or trashcan. I can find them for $12 per package at the pet store, and I found one place online that wants $20 (too much).<br><br>
-Natalie<br>
Mom to Gracie, 14 months

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
this sounds kind of scary to me! i just can't imagine flushing something as big as a disposable diaper down the toilet! i can just hear my pipes moaning and threatening to clog!<br><br>
also, i wonder what kind of impact that would have on sewage treatment? i can't imagine that the diapers would be breaking down with treatment and so the diaper would just end up in the landfill, anyway. not exactly energetically nor environmentally friendly.<br><br>
for flushable diaper alternatives, have you heard of gDiapers? they have completely flushable inserts, if you are interested in flushing waste down the loo. they are completely biodegradable and seem to me to be a much, much better option than flushing regular disposables down the drain. JMO.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Um...wow.<br><br>
This doesn't even sound possible. I would think that even a wadded/rolled-up newborn diaper would be too big to fit through the hole at the bottom of the toilet bowl, regardless of how slippery the bag surrounding it might be.<br><br>
I'm also pretty sure that there are local laws (varying from place to place, naturally) governing what may and may not be flushed. I can't imagine the "gel" in a sposie should be dispersed into the water supply.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yup. And then if you're like us who has a septic system, probably not a good idea.<br>
Hmmm, I don't know. It seems odd to me.<br>
Even with dog poop. I'd probably just put it in a dustpan and toss in the toilet and flush. No need to waste those bags.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I can't see pushing a size 5 diaper fully loaded down my pipes and my toilet is non efficient yet. Paper waste in our city that does get flushed down the toilet and doesn't biodegrade along the way gets incinerated, which doesn't really do much for the environment. However thankfully our city also accepts diapers in our green compost bin-which is basically a bin for organic things that you wouldn't throw on a traditional compost pile. So we chuck them in there.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Ew.<br><br>
Seriously, I would not want the plumbing charge when that did break up, or to be one of the workers at the sewage treatment plant wondering wth these hundreds of floating diapers came from.<br><br>
Ew. No way. CD'ing did the trick for me - open dipe, let poop fall in the toilet, and put diaper in the laundry pile. Cheap, hygenic, no smell, and no worries about how many more ways I can screw up the earth.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You can dump poop off a disposable almost as easily as you can off a cloth. We use disposables occasionally and I dumped the solid waste into the toilet out of habit the first time, there is surprisingly little smell once that is done. Then I lay the diapers flat in the trash to make them more easily degraded (I buy sposies that are mostly biodegradable).<br><br>
No way could I put an entire diaper down the toilet here. Everything must be able to go through a grinder in a 3" pipe to meet our sewage systems requirements. I don't think a diaper would grind well.<br><br>
If the dogs have an accident in the house, I also dump it in the toilet. Outside we have a special buried composting bin for dog poop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts