Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ordered from diaperkit.com? Would you suggest ordering from them, or would it be better for me to order my own fabrics? Should I try a little of both?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
The diaper kits look really cool, don't they? I haven't tried them, but it looks like a great way to try diapersewing without investing a lot of money.

It would be interesting to run the numbers and see if you would save, and how much, in using the kits versus your own fabric for a whole stash.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would think it would be a great way to get started on your first few diapers. So much of the decisionmaking and reasearch and buying has already been done for you. Time is money!
I spent a lot of time and money before I discovered the right kind of fabrics and notions to get. If you get a kit for each type you might be interested in, you could save money in the long run if you decide not to order a bunch of a certain type of fabric!
After much experimenting, we decided that we like PUL pockets lined with MM microchamois or Powerdry. Others prefer organic fitteds with wool covers. You won't know what works best for you till you try.
If you don't count all the unused fabric in my sewing room, I figure each pocket diaper costs me under $3, including shipping (to Canada) and stuffing. If you do count the unused fabric and my time spent since I started investigating diaper sewing (assuming minimum wage)....each diaper I've sewn probably cost me over $100!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Quote:
If you do count the unused fabric and my time spent since I started investigating diaper sewing (assuming minimum wage)....each diaper I've sewn probably cost me over $100!
You should see my closet...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just received my kit today and I can't wait to get started!
It looks like it might have a little longer crotch then the pattern I have already which I know I'm going to like and the instructions are very very nice and professional looking.
The kit has EVERYTHING you'd need to make your diaper and it's all cut already! Wayyyyyyy cool.
I also like the idea that for only $4.99 for the cotton AIO I can get one of each PUL color and not have to purchase a whole yard of PUL that I most likely won't use all of it anyway.
AND... on my next order I'm going to get some of her inserts cut from Certified Organic Hemp/Cotton terry and Bamboo/Cotton because I have been wanting to try it but I can't part with that kind of $$$ and Amber sells them for only 99 cents!!!!!! (pant pant pant OK calm down Julie)

It really is true that once you get started on making your own cloth diapers you get addicted! After all, I don't drink or smoke so I guess CD's are the way to go!
I'll post pictures when I get finished!

(I'm done with my rant now)

HTH,
Julie

·
Registered
48 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blueberrymama View Post
IAND... on my next order I'm going to get some of her inserts cut from Certified Organic Hemp/Cotton terry and Bamboo/Cotton because I have been wanting to try it but I can't part with that kind of $$$ and Amber sells them for only 99 cents!!!!!! (pant pant pant OK calm down Julie)

Breathe, Julie! If I'm reading it right, the flannel ones are 99 cents -- the more expensive fabric doublers are more (as they should be!)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Julie, now I'm completly jelouse!! I can't order my diaper kit until Friday when we get paid!! What will I do till then? ok ok,I'll keep practicing! Do the instructions give a good explination of how to sew in the elastic. I'm having so much trouble with the elastic sewing and I can't seem to get any good tips.
Elizabeth

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thank you for pointing that out to me Granny!

(note to self: pay closer attention from now on)
Well I thought that was a little too good to be true, but I think it's still a good deal for the convienince and that way I can try the different "fancy" soaker fabrics.

Thanks,
Julie

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Do the instructions give a good explination of how to sew in the elastic. I'm having so much trouble with the elastic sewing and I can't seem to get any good tips.
Elizabeth
The written instructions include illustrations, we also have video tutorials for the elastic sewing...
Ooo, I'm excited for Friday

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phiababy View Post
Thanks Julie, now I'm completly jelouse!! I can't order my diaper kit until Friday when we get paid!! What will I do till then? ok ok,I'll keep practicing! Do the instructions give a good explination of how to sew in the elastic. I'm having so much trouble with the elastic sewing and I can't seem to get any good tips.
Elizabeth
It just gives the regular tips but she includes some practice fabric and elastic.

The best tips I can suggest is to just practice on scraps.
I like making a 9" square so I have 3 side to practice on, leave 1 side to T&T if you want.
Make sure it's the same amount of layers of fabric you would have on a regular diaper like 1 layer of PUL and 2 layers of flannel then sew a 1/4" seam allowance and start on the PUL side (a must)and use the 3 point zig-zag if you have it, if not just the regular zig-zag and put your needle in the down position, anchor the elastic and pull your elastic tight while you sew making sure your needle stops in the down position.
When you get to the end do another back and forth to anchor your elastic.
This is really just what all the sites say to do, but I think with practice you can check how gathered your practice piece is next to a premade diaper.

Here's a link that show sewing elastic...
http://www.geocities.com/mytafadhali/contourdipes.htm
and on Diaperkit.com she has a video showing how to sew it!
http://www.diaperkit.com/video_aio_elastic.html

I hope this is helpful!

Julie

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by love2bmom View Post
The written instructions include illustrations, we also have video tutorials for the elastic sewing...
Ooo, I'm excited for Friday

This is what happens when you start a post while cooking and finish 2 hours later!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I put in a somewhat larger order a week or two ago just to "try" everything... I ordered some AIO, Fitteds, Covers, and then a few flannel doublers just for fun (not that I couldn't make those myself but if I was being lazy and not having to cut I figured that an extra buck or two would be worth it to get it all done and not have to prep extra stuff).

I didn't get the "expensive" fabrics because I've never sewn a diaper before - just kept it really simple with the basic things she offers.

The customer service I got in placing my order, answering questions, email responses was AMAZING and I was sooooo impressed! I then recieved my packages and was also impressed - the way she has it all packaged, the directions, etc. And now the videos on the site to help you!!!

Yeah - I haven't sewn a stitch yet (I am due in just 6 days and trying to get other things done) but I ordered the second size up so that would give me time to get to them.

I am impressed, already, with all of my dealings with the company - so I can't wait to actually make a kit!

For anyone else who orders - be sure and post pictures when you have completed your diapers so we can all see!!! I think for a few dollars to get it all washed/cut/ironed and the pattern and everything you need - it is SOOOOO worth it! (Not to mention having someone to email with questions each step of the way!!)

:) AL

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, I got my Diaperkit.com diaper sewn last night after the kiddos were tucked into bed for the night and it went together very smoothly! I'd say it took me a little over an hour just because it was a new design with new instructions (and I was watching tv), but I bet they could be sewn in 20-30 minutes if I had made a couple before and again was able to sew uninterupted!

Anyhoo.....I think it turned out really cute, I love the red PUL it looks so sweet!
Here are a few pictures...
Finished:
http://static.flickr.com/122/284955380_eb36564fb1_o.jpg
Open so you can see the way I sewed the soaker in to "quick dry"
http://static.flickr.com/108/284955390_3bd61fc3c0_o.jpg
On Gorgeous Gus the diaper model:
http://static.flickr.com/119/284955404_c204357cb4_b.jpg

The only modification I made was that instead of sewing the soaker to the inside, I serged the edges all around and then sewed just the ends down so it'll dry quicker.

He likes it, I like it....and I'm gonna buy some more!
Nothin' like supporting the WAHM community!
Thanks for offering such a nice product Amber, you'll be hearing from me soon.
HTH,
Julie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.