Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is starting part-time daycare next week (sob!), just a few hours each day, and the daycare has given me a list of things to bring and keep there for him, including diaper ointment. They say they'll use it only if he has a rash, but he often has just a little redness: we use cloth at home and never really use ointment because I recall reading somewhere that you can't use ointment with Fuzzi Bunz, which is what he usually wears.

I am planning on giving them a couple 7th Generation sposies each day so they'll use that instead of the yuckie sposies they have there. They say they'll do cloth if I bring a bag for the soiled dipes but I think they'll probably put ointment on him each time they see a little redness and I don't want his dipes ruined by the (unecessary application of) ointment.

(I would push the cloth issues with them but am picking my battles--I'm already going to be bringing DS's snack so he doesn't get the hot dogs and cookies they serve the other toddlers, bringing water so he doesn't get the cow's milk like the other toddlers because he's still BFed, etc. They are quite willing to accomodate these needs, so this is my compromise... but if I can use some kind of ointment with FBs, please let me know that too...)

Anyway, does anyone have recommendations for a more natural diaper cream/ointment? We used Burt's Bees at the beginning and I can't recall why, but we didn't think it was that great. Actually, we didn't think anything was that great--we've always found it better to NOT use ointment, but the daycare circumstances are forcing this issue on us. And we'd rather have something that's not too bad for his skin if it must be put on.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I really like THESE from Northern Essence. I got the Lavendar/TTO free one as a freebie and use it whenever my dd gets red (especially from teething). It works great on her bottom and seems to leave no residue on my diapers (unlike Weleda and Burts Bees). Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
you could try providing the daycare with a few cheap prefolds and a snappy. then you don't have to worry about ruining your fuzzy bunz. also you could try the lanolin cream (the same stuff they recommend for cracked nipples. I ran our of diaper cream once and that was all I had on hand. And it worked great.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Honestly if you don't want them to use ointment and use cloth just bring the cloth and no ointment they cannot give him wha they don't have.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandsprite View Post
you could try providing the daycare with a few cheap prefolds and a snappy. then you don't have to worry about ruining your fuzzy bunz. also you could try the lanolin cream (the same stuff they recommend for cracked nipples. I ran our of diaper cream once and that was all I had on hand. And it worked great.
Interesting! I have a bunch of lanolin cream since I didn't really have to use it... would that not ruin the FBs?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have found that most creams stain FB. Bummer!!!
I would be carefull with Lanonlin b/c if your ds has a diaper rash d/t yeast- it can promote more yeast growth.
From previous experience of using a daycare, I usually waited until my child had a diaper rash before I provided them with any ointment. Like ocotbermom said, they can't put on him what they don't have.
Good luck.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I love Weleda. It works really well, smells good, and hasn't stained any of my dipes. I don't have FBs, but I have an assortment of pfs, fitteds, AIOs, and pockets with liners of fleece, microfleece, flannel, suedecloth, microchamois, etc.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I don't think it qualifies as natural, but Boudreaux's Butt Paste worked well for us. You can get it at Target, etc.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
FWIW we use cloth for my DD preschool mostly velour lined snap EZ AIO trainers which I prefer not rash ointment to touch so if she does need some I go to eaither tri folded prefolds and Bummi wraps or her ME AIO's and some burts bees it comes out.

You could maybe just send the FB if he's truly getting a rash and needs something them use the 7th generation with whatever.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I also (like someone above mentioned) like Weleda Baby Calendula Cream. A few times we've gotten it on our prefolds and Fuzzi Bunz and it's always come out. It has taken an extra wash or two sometimes, but I've never found it to adversely affect the performance of our FB.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I bought a yard of non-pill fleece in a soft brown color. I cut it into rectangles about 4" wide by 9" long. I place these in as a liner with my FB. That way if I have to use any creams, the fleece is blocking the diaper from getting it. And if she poops I can scrape the poop from the fleece liner and just wash the liner in with the dipes.

That way you can still use your CD's, and if the daycare puts ointment on DC you don't have to worry.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by griffin2004 View Post
I don't think it qualifies as natural, but Boudreaux's Butt Paste worked well for us. You can get it at Target, etc.
Ditto. Worked like a charm every single time. Warning: it does stain cloth dipes! (It was worth it, though, when dd's bottom was so sore it was bleeding)

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Burts Bees works great for us and doesn't stain anything. I settled on using it after trying out lots of other diaper creams, after initially thinking that I would never use it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts