Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Two years ago before DS was born we got a Diaper Champ.  It's worked alright, and we've never had smell issues with it, but it only holds 12-14 cloth diapers (big problem now that I'm about to have 2 kids in diapers), and they tend to get stuck in the piston so every 2 or 3 diapers I have to open the whole thing and pull the previous diaper out from the bottom of the lid.  Last summer I finally got a cloth pail liner so I wouldn't have to throw away a plastic liner every week or two, and it wouldn't fit in the Diaper Champ - the drawstring top was too thick to allow the lid to close.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So I bought a 13 <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=motheringhud-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FCountry-Save-Laundry-Detergent-160-Load%2Fdp%2FB001561MWS%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1%3Fie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1290196941%26sr%3D8-1" rel="norewrite" target="_blank">gallon kitchen trash can with a touch lid</a>, and it totally solves all the issues I was having with the Diaper Champ - the cloth pail liners fit it perfectly, it's only half full when it's time to wash diapers, and the lid is super easy to open and close.  As a plus, the dirty diapers never touch the lid, so I don't have to worry about DS opening and closing it.  Problem is, I now have odor issues.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It starts stinking of ammonia the second day.  I usually use prefolds the first day, and bumGenius pockets the 2nd and 3rd day, and wash at the end of the 3rd day.  Since the smell started on the 2nd day I though the problem was with my BGs, so yesterday I turned up the water heater and ran them through 5 hot rinses while I used only prefolds.  But today it still smells of ammonia, even though there are only prefolds in it.  Should I give up on the touch lid and get a pail designed to hold cloth diapers that has a carbon filter lid?  I guess I will try also stripping my prefolds before I do that, but any suggestions would be welcome.</p>

·
Registered
615 Posts
<p>was going to say, boil the prefolds. They shouldn't smell so quickly.</p>
<p>my pail doesn't normally smell much, though when I dump them the bottom of the bag diapers do stink.</p>
<p>I just use a step pedal can.</p>

·
Registered
811 Posts
<p>Just a tip I've found to work for me....I bought a big bottle of Bac Out and put some in a little spray bottle I keep by my diaper pail. I spray all poopy diapers with the Bac Out and sometimes I'll just open the lid and give the whole can a spray or two. It really helps- I never smell my CD pail anymore. My pail on the other side of the changing table for my sposies is the one that stinks.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts