Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please recommend a diaper pail that works!

I had one by First Years, but they stopped carrying it so I can no longer buy the bags. First Years now makes one that has an air filter run by batteries, but it doesn't get the greatest reviews. People either love it and think it works great or hate it because they say it doesn't work well, is too loud when closing, and breaks.

I was given a used Diaper Champ by a friend - she said it worked well. But it isn't working for us. Even 1 dirty diaper from my toddler and it stinks up the room.

So...please help! Toddler still in diapers and new babe is due in Sept and I need a new diaper pail!

· Registered
1,443 Posts
We have always just used plastic grocery bags hanging from the dresser. Cheap and can be changed multiple times as needed. Of course, it's easier now that DD only poops once a day, but I don't remember having any problem with the system when she was a newborn.

I never used the commerical pails because I always heard they were smelly. Anyway, just another perspective.

· Registered
1,505 Posts
We have a diaper champ that works really well for us, but we also dump any poop in the toilet before putting the dipes in the pail (we use CDs). I don't think anything could hold in the stench of toddler poo!

· Registered
485 Posts
Yeah, I would try and flush the majority of the poop. There's just no containing the stench otherwise.

We use cloth diapers, and I just rinse out the cover and plop the inserts into an empty kitty litter container that has water and vinegar in it.

· Registered
1,609 Posts
Our diaper champ works well. We've had few problems with smell. No vents, vinegar or anything is needed. When you open it up you can really smell the difference. I wonder if the OP's Diaper Champ isn't closing right or if there there is BM stuck on the sliding plunger.
When DD has a some loose stool issues and it couldn't always be dumped some BM would get stuck inside the chute. It was easy to clean up.

· Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No - the diaper champ is clean. Just started using it, although it is used. But there it has been cleaned. I have only used it on 2 different occasions recently and even with just ONE diaper in it, it stinks.

And we use disposables. Just an FYI.

· Registered
2,259 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by laurabelle1317 View Post
No - the diaper champ is clean. Just started using it, although it is used. But there it has been cleaned. I have only used it on 2 different occasions recently and even with just ONE diaper in it, it stinks.

And we use disposables. Just an FYI.
Are you positive you have the bag in correctly? It goes through the hole of the blue things and kind of wraps around it. If you just put it in the can part like a trash bag, it won't work to contain the smell.

· Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by riverscout View Post
Are you positive you have the bag in correctly? It goes through the hole of the blue things and kind of wraps around it. If you just put it in the can part like a trash bag, it won't work to contain the smell.
Ah...thanks! I did not have it in right. I just put the trash bag in like you would in a regular trash can. I will try to figure out the correct way!

I guess it would help to find directions...since I this was handed down to me.

· Registered
254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by riverscout View Post
I can't believe I've been using it incorrectly for 3 1/2 years! Now on it's 2nd kid!!! Duh....

· Registered
9,321 Posts
We have the diaper champ and it works great for us. Even with sposies you can dump excess poop into the toilet before folding it and disposing. It makes it easier to empty the pail, and more fit into the pail.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.