Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need ideas on how to set this up. Should mama's email me and tell me what they have/need and I give the giving mama the needy mamas addy? If someone is in need, should they send their addy with their request? I don't mind setting it up, but I will need some help. Is there any interest?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReesesMomma
Hey what about a 'freecycle' type of yahoo group? Where people could list what they have to offer, or what they're in need of. ???

It could be set up kinda like this:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kcfreecycle/

I'd be willing to help organize. LMK if you need me.

I participated in something similar to the freecycle and it seemed to be overwhelming for some. But, maybe we can make it work, I'd love to help with the organizing.

Another possible idea -
Why not have a group of "organizers" and each week on a particular day have one of them post a thread similar to the "I want to help" thread where people list what they have or need. Then those that can help can PM or email them.
The person that posts this each week could also post a reminder a few days prior so that everyone can be thinking or taking inventory of what they need or what they can spare and will be ready when the requests come in. I see this working well on a weekly basis since the needs can change and the babes can change (growing, growing, growing!).
A rotation could be set up for the person/persons that does the post and as people ask to participate if they chose, they can be added to the rotation. Or, to simplify, there could just be a set # of people that the rotation works through.
HTH - please let me know if you need or want help setting this up!

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I like the idea of having it set up like Freecycle - I think that would keep it nice and simple! That way people can post their "I have available" list or thier "I need" lists and have it all be in once place.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
That is a great idea. A freecycle list would be great. I love the idea~ I love my freecycle

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
K- I like the idea of a "freecycle" yahoo group. If someone is in NEED of something, post to the yahoo list and hopefully she will get responses.? I will make the group moderated so we don't get any weirdos, and I think that we should have a "minimum" posts and time on this board. Maybe not as much as the TP...I was thinking 50 posts and 1 month? Just so no on joins just to ask for stuff??

So if I need say Large AIO, I'd post an ISO on there and hope someone has one for me, or if I have 3 medium fitteds that are falling apart and need elastic, I can post that too and see if anyone needs them? Does that sound good? LMK and I will set up the yahoo group!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh- I think anything baby related should be allowed on the list, yes?
This way addresses would be private (via email)
I think it should be strictly FFS items since we have the TP? Or do you want to be able to sell things there or trade?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kimberlylibby
I'm just afraid things like aid for orphans won't get any donations if we give things to eachother.. you know??

Not trying to be a spoilsport....
But there are a lot of things that AFO won't take. I don't think worn out diapers wouldn't be worth donating to them because they won't get much use and shipping would be outrageous.??

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kimberlylibby
I'm just afraid things like aid for orphans won't get any donations if we give things to eachother.. you know??

Not trying to be a spoilsport....
I see where you are coming from, but I also believe we probably have plenty of Mamas in need right here on our own board.

I also agree that it should be for any baby related items, and keep it FFS.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.