Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>DD has nasty rash with open sores. Ped says just a normal diaper rash, nothing infected, but that I need a stronger diaper rash cream. He suggested Ihle's Paste or Calmoseptin. Neither look so safe for cd (all natural fibres, but still). Ihle's Paste has mineral oil and lanolin, Calmoseptin has "a suitable ointment base" and also has lanolin, iirc. Both seem to have higher concentrations of Zinc Oxide as the main active ingredient, but I'm already using Aveeno diaper cream with zinc oxide (yes, it's fine with my cd, but I also use flushable liners to protect them).</p>
<p>Can anyone suggest something I can use with the cd, with zinc oxide as an active ingredient at a higher concentration (Ihle's Paste is 25%)? Or maybe something else I can use to get this rash under control?</p>
<p>Or, can you suggest a way to use the creams the doc recommended without causing issues with the cd?</p>

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<p>We just have used straight zinc oxide bought at a pharmacy.  I prefer not having all the extra ingredients of most diaper creams.  We haven't had to use it too much... like a half dozen times.  We just used a pre fold to protect the cream from the pocket insert and it worked fine. </p>

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Thanks! What format does it come as? Is it just a powder or does it come mixed with something to make a paste?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am pretty certain we need a moisture barrier, and I'm not sure that zinc oxide on it's own would provide enough protection for these sores. I used to use plain corn starch with the other kids, and it helped, but this baby had a yeast infection rash, so I'm nervous to try that here, and it won't stick to the sores, anyway,</p>

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<p>It comes as an ointment.  It is mixed with mineral oil, white petrolatum (urgh) and white wax.  It is the purest form that I could find.  We too have used the Burts Bees ointment with success but it just has too much in it for my taste.   Also wondering if tea tree (diluted w/ olive oil or water) would help with the sores. </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
<p>My kiddo has struggled with a rash in the diaper area with open sores, however of the few doctors and nurses who have looked at it, no one had ever seen one that looked like hers.  I can't find pictures that look like it either.  The only thing that has gotten rid of it is switching to seventh gen diapers for awhile and applying cj's butter at every single diaper change.  We haven't gone back to cloth (we will in january after our family visit) but I'll be using fleece to keep her skin dry and continuing cj's butter at every change to keep it from coming back.  We haven't found a cause yet so we'll see if that works.</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts