Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help figuring out what to do with this diaper rash. My daughter is only three weeks old and she has little red bumps on her bum and also on her labia. They look like pimples. It's been fairly consistent, not really going away, but not worsening. She's been in cloth diapers since she was about a day and a half old. I've tried changing her more, putting Burt's Bees Baby Bee ointment on her bum and sometimes switching off with Aquaphor. I'm wiping her with a clean, wet wipe each time. I ordered a Sugar Peas wool cover and try to keep her in that as much as I can to let air get to her skin.<br><br>
My mom is telling me I should put her in disposables and it would clear up. Both my stubborness and real commitment to using cloth have me desperate to find a way to clear this up. Any ideas?<br><br>
Thanks--<br>
Beth

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have no experience with yeast infections in babies, but I know they're common. If it doesn't go away, maybe a visit to your ped could help rule that out?<br><br>
An idea: what are you washing the dipes in? Is it possible she's allergic?<br><br>
In the meantime, keep your babe dipe-free as much as possible. Put her on a towel, or a waterproof mattress pad, or something you don't mind getting all messy, for as long as she'll tolerate it. That's the best way to clear up rashes!<br><br>
Oh, the other thing is make sure her bum is COMPLETELY dry before you put anything on it. Otherwise it makes it worse.<br><br>
Hope the rash goes away soon!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
It sounds like it might be yeast, which would have nothing to do with CDs. Are you BFing? If so, she's probably gotten it from you (this is VERY common). Some people have had good luck with making a paste of acidolphilus powder and applying that directly to the area. You can also try Lotrimin AF over the counter -- use that liberally several times per day.<br><br>
HTH!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My dd has has and still gets little red pimply things and it is not yeast for us. I know because I tried lotrimin on one side and it didn't affect it at all. However hydrocortisone cleared it right up. Just recently I switched from purex to tide and really stripped my diapers and it has helped a ton. Also whenever she is in an apronstrings diaper, the rash goes away. I think it's the fleece that helps. Although thats the only fleece that keeps her rash free. Happy heinys and fuzzibunz didn't keep her clear.<br><br>
So my advice wold be try a little hydrocortisone and strip the diapers well. Maybe switch detergents too. It took me 6 months to figure out how to keep her butt rash free and we still get occasional rashes.<br>
Corrie

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
You could try it a little lotriman- it sounds like it could be yeast- and see if that clears it up. Yeast is very common and often clears up with lotriman. The atheletes foot or even generic stuff should work. good luck clearing up the rash.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the suggestions. It's funny several people mentioned yeast, because my husband just came in with the Sears Baby Book and had me read the description of a yeast infection. I am breastfeeding, but don't have any symptons of an infection myself. I'll try an antifungal and hydrocortisone if that doesn't work. I'm also letting her sit without her diaper on for awhile before putting one back on to make sure she's dry.<br><br>
My dh also wondered if the detergent was irritating; I'm using regular Tide powder. Anyone have any suggestions for detergents that are safe for cloth but good for sensitive skin?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I haven't ever seen a yeast rash but I did take my daughter to the ped because I thought she had one. The ped told me that a yeast rash has a definate (sp?- forgive me it is late) begining and ending as in the skin is profoundly red rash and then normal and there would be sattelite red bumps.<br><br>
My dd had flaming red baboon butt and I didn't know what else to do but take her to the ped (she also had some other things going on but the rash due to diarrea was the worst) and he gave me samples of Dr. Smith's Diaper Ointment and told me that it was wonderful. It really did work for us- it is expensive $9 for 3 oz and I bought it at Eckard Drug.<br><br>
I hope the rash settles down soon!

·
Registered
819 Posts
I would definitely try a new detergent to see if that helps. A free and clear version, such as All Free & Clear, might be a good thing to start with.<br><br>
DS gets bumps on his bottom sometimes, especially when the diaper is really wet when I take it off. I can only let him go without a diaper for a limited amount of time, since he's not very portable when he's completely naked, but I do like to have him in just a dipe and no cover as much as possible when we're at home. That helps him get more air to his bottom, and I can tell immediately when he's wet and change him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts