Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 17 days old now, and started developing a rather bad diaper rash around day 5 or so. (He poops and pees after every feeding). I bought some Pentaten ointment, but it seems to be getting worse. Today there's white bumps on top of the red rash and he really fusses when I'm changing him. I've been using Huggies diaper wipes with Vit E. Could this be making it worse? Has anyone else had this same problem? Any advice?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'd definitely call the pediatrician just to see what he/she thinks. I second the idea of not using baby wipes. We always used soft washcloths and warm water when ds was a newbie, and he was never irritated. If cloth diapers aren't a viable option for you, you might at least switch brands of sposies to see if a different brand works better. I think that Tushies are chemical free (though they are expensive). I also never used soap on ds when I bathed him--just water. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Something that might help.......

When my ds had a rash, I would let him lie on a blanket on the floor (indoors) where the sun would shine on his bottom end...... not strong sunlight and not for long periods of time. But it did help!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have specifically had trouble with those wipes also. I have used the unscented alcohol free ones without a problem, I actually use the target brand, but it's like huggies. though when Jasper was little, I used cloth wipes.

you could also be dealing with thrush. if you search the boards on the word 'thrush' you should find a lot of info. if you are cloth diapering, put 1/4 c. or more of white vinegar in the rinse water when you wash to kill the candida yeast spores. (bleach does NOT work and is poisonous)
do you have any other symptoms? flaky skin on your nipples, red nipples, soreness (or worse sharp pains) when nursing, especially during let down?

and since it couldn't hurt to try, break open an acidophilus capsule and sprinkle it over your baby's bum. that has worked wonders for me.
good luck...

marigold
mum to Jasper 2/9/03

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
My ds got his first rash about a month and a half ago, and it took me a month to get it gone completely. He had a combo of yeast and regular diaper rash. The yeast went away quickly using a spray bottle of water with one tablespoon olive oil and a few drops of tea tree oil...just spray and wipe gently dry. For poopy dipes just use a wet wash cloth. The tea tree oil kills yeast. He also had just regular rash caused by soaking his diapers at night. I fixed that by getting really absorbent inserts (usin cloth diapers). I also used Burt's Bees Baby Bee skin cream (calendula is the healing ingredient)...at every diaper change. It heals, plus it is a barrier to prevent further irritation. Burt's Bee's is kind of expensive...I would at least use it though to get rid of the rash. Right now I'm using Aveeno diaper rash cream (with zinc oxide) at every diaper change as a barrier...I'd rather use burts bees but I'm out. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I would call the pediatritian too. Mine recommended me a cream called Calendula made by Weleda. I just order it thorough internet so I don't have a personal experience with it but the Dr. said it works great. Also in another thread I read that using your breastmilk in the affected area can heal wonderful. I would also avoid the wipes and use warm water with a cloth diaper.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would call your doctor as well but also the wipes so be the problem OR the diapers, who knows eh so hard to tell sometimes!
Calendula IS AWESOME! If my older daugher gets a rash it clears it up fast! Oh and I used some on my face the other night and it really is helping
clear my skin! That stuff rocks. Good stuff to have around!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hi April Mae,

Here are two suggestions:

Use Butt Balm from http://www.butt-balm.com. It is zinc oxide and is a miracle at curing diaper rash (not to mention dry skin, sore nipples, and chapped lips
). It's only sold in stores in Indiana but can be shipped anywhere.

Commercial wipes hurt bottoms, especially rashy bottoms. Make your own if you don't want to use cloth. Go to Costco and get a box of commercial bi-fold paper towels (white, not brown which are too stiff). In a rectangular "tupperware", put about 2 cups warm water, 3 tbsp baby oil (or olive oil), a squirt of castille soap, and 3 drops of lavendar essential oil. The lavendar has antibacterial properties and smells nice. Mix this in the tupperware, then slowly press some of the paper towels into the liquid. Put the lid on, invert the container, and let the liquid soak into the towels.

And ITA with the suggestion to call the pedi.

Good luck to you, and I hope your little one feels better very very soon!

Yours,
CurlyTop

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
hi there~ to make the cloth wipes easier I put them in my wipes warmer & add water with t tree & lavender in it ( about 10 drops each) that way I don;t have to mess with spraying or getting warm water (ours takes forever to run hot)~ good luck clearing it up! I think more air time always helps DS's.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
As far as diaper rash ointments go, I absolutely love "Flander's Buttocks Ointment". CVS can order it for you, but it's cheaper if you can find it at Kroger or Walgreens. Ask the pharmacist. It is Zinc and peruvian balsam. Great stuff, and it wipes off easier that desitin, and smells good too.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
With ds we switched to cloth as he was getting bleeding diaper rashes from the wipes and diapers.

I agree with the other ladies about not using the disposable wipes. One other thing you might want to try is aloe vera on the rash. clears them right up for us.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.