Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, about a month ago ds had a horrible red rash come up in his diaper area mostly in the front right up to his belly button. I tried using desitin for a few days and leaving his diaper off...it would get better during the day but by morning it would be just as bad as before.<br>
Had a well baby check at the pedi and she said it was yeast. She prescribed Nystatin cream. Before we filled the scrip I tried a wipe solution recipe off this site of olive oil, tto, and water at every diaper change and some burt's bees mixed with tto for a barrier and healing. I left his diaper off part of the day and part of the time left the diaper on without the cover.<br>
Every morning his rash was just as red as before, even when it had been looking better during the day somewhat. Now what I've been doing the last week is using Nystatin twice a day like directed, I put him in disposable diapers and I'm using burt's bees with tto in between using Nystatin. His rash has been completely gone, but today I put a cloth diaper on him and only after an hour or two the redness was starting to come back. I'm wondering if in addition to the yeast maybe he is having some chaffing because he has become much more mobile lately especially on his belly. It seems my cpf's aren't as soft as they used to be. Both of us have been taking acidophulus so it seems the yeast is at least under control so what gives? My husband is complaining that we wasted money on our cloth diapers. I just talked to him on the phone and he is mad and wants to forget about cloth completely. Could the cloth be irritating him...what can I do? Would an insert help or maybe I should try something besides cpf's? Need advice! He is in sposies until I figure this out....

·
Registered
609 Posts
Can you describe the new rash in more detail?<br><br>
It is possible that he is getting very wet so his skin is getting red.<br><br>
Or it is possible that there is yeast in your diapers. Yeast usually starts as little pimply looking dots though.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appeared mostly around his waist area and creases of legs and a little redness on his testicles too and redness in his bum crack. It's not at all as bad as before. It's not pimply at all. I just changed his diaper and the waist and leg creases are already improved from last diaper change after putting the disposables on again. Still red on testicles and bum crack. Hmmm. I have been adding tto to the wash when I wash his dipes to kill yeast. So if it's not yeast and it is simply the wetness irritating is that why it goes away with sposies because they are so absorbent? So maybe an insert would work to absorb better? What do you think?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Definitely does NOT sound like yeast. Sounds like wetness. You could try a barrier cream with or without zinc oxide. Put it on the folds of the skin and anyplace that is getting redness. And yes disposables are extremely absorbent and will keep him dryer. An insert with your CD's may help a lot.<br><br>
If the diaper is saturated when you change him either change hime more frequently (sounds like you already change him quite frequently) or add a hemp insert, fleece topped would be even better.<br><br>
Here's a great link on diaper rash:<br><br><br><a href="http://askdrsears.com/html/8/t081400.asp" target="_blank">Dr. Sears</a><br><br>
This is what it sounds like your baby has: Intertrigo - this is a specific rash that occurs within the skin folds and creases around the diaper area where the skin rubs together.<br>
Appearance - Heat and moisture mixed with urine cause a red, burn-like appearance.<br>
Treatment - regular white petroleum diaper ointment.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link! Sounds like he has the intetrigo yes. I will show my husband the info so we can get some inserts...I've been bugging him to get some anyway even before he got the rash because ds diaper tends to leak at night. Oh thank you so much, you have been a big help. Gosh, it sounds like I wasted $10 on that Nystatin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts