Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I'm a hardcore Angelwraps and Loveybums user, so those of you who have experience with these brands would be most welcome for advice.

've been diapering DD since her birth and have very much enjoyed the process. However, I've been having problems with diaper stink. Here's my routine:

1. A hot rinse without detergent. (I used to do a cold rinse, but Amy at Angelwraps suggested a hot rinse, so hot rinse I do.)

2. A hot wash with detergent. I use All, I believe, and only use a small amount. Confounding the equation is the fact that I have a high efficiency washing machine, which has been discussed ad nauseum on this board in terms of the differences from regular washers. (Though I'm glad for the discussions, 'cause it gave me great ideas.)

3. A cold rinse with some bleach. Again, on Amy's advice.

This seems to basically deal with it, though sometimes there's still residual smell. Also, my Loveybums used to be SOOOOOO cuddly and soft are now much less cuddly. Is this a normal wear thing, or should the sherpa remain really soft? I've tried vinegar, too, by the way. That helps a bit.

One of my snap in liners from an Angelwraps had some poo on it, so I sent it through its normal paces. Still really stinky. So I tried to strip it. Then I tried a little Dawn and scrubbing the bejeezus out of it. Then I soaked it in a strong concentration of vinegar. Still stinky.

Perhaps a weapon of mass destruction on the diaper liner?!?!?!?
:

Thanks for listening to my ranting. You ladies are the best.

Alison

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I vote for the weapon of mass destruction. I'm stripping my dipes as we speak because they stink a bit too. I think we still might have some biuld up. Are you sure the All isn't the culprit?

Kara

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Maybe try a different detergent, like Tide. I was having some build up issues on a few fitteds, and here's what I did: Cold rinse, hot wash with a little regular Tide, a squirt of Dawn, and a splash of bleach. I rinsed an extra time at the end. I did all this a few times and now the stink is completely gone. I'm back to my old simple wash routine, and so far the stink is staying away. If it comes back again, I'll probably ditch the fitteds. Though the stripping seems to have worked, it's not something I want to do very often.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I have always heard that it is important to do a cold rinse first since that gets rid of stains and pee and poop smells. The hot water supposedly "cooks" the smell in, don't know if that is true, but makes sense.

My sherpa dipes were getting stiff but since I have switched to Charlie's Soap they are almost as soft as when new. It is amazing. But if I line-dry them they are still pretty stiff, but not like they were before Charlie's.

Try cold rinsing first with your tiny amount of bleach (2 capfuls maybe?) and then try a different detergent. Tide works great for stains, but the enzymes in it burned my little guy. I had good luck with cheap Sun, but nothing works as great as Charlie's for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.