Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, I live with my inlaws as a result of last years hurricanes (I started my WAH business just to save money and LEAVE) and my inlaws STRICTLY PROHIBIT the use of wool and fleece covers. I need a place to live so I honor their rules. however they wern't home yesterday and I had just made my first bum sweater, cause I plan on selling them if my sewing ever gets good enough and I HAD to test it to see if it worked right??? Now I want to use wool SOOOOOO bad!!!
but I CAN'T

·
Registered
788 Posts
What's their problem with wool and fleece covers? Is it they don't want to change them? (In which case, can't you use whatever you want when YOU are the one changing the baby?). Or do they have a problem with covers hanging up everywhere to air out? Or did they get attacked by a sheep?

Just wondering.....

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if it's not PUL or rubber pants it's NO. they want absolutle waterproof! It dosen't matter how much i tell them fleece and wool are virtually water proof it's a "My house my carpet my rules" issue

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Well I would cut a pair of pul pants so just the waistband was left, and leave it sticking up out from under the wool cover, kwim. just so they THINK your babe is in plastic pants under the wool

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I hope I never become one of those kinds of parents.

We have brand new off white carpeting in a brand new house and I know that stains will happen and I will have to deal with them. We have kids and pets, something will happen. LOL I rather live fully then be so attached to material things that I can not be human.

Dang.

Blessings,
Kimmy

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
Any time wool has "leaked" for me, it has only made my DS's pants a little damp. It's not like the pee is going to be squirting like a fire hose onto their carpet.
: As long as you change your DC often there will never be a leak with wool. Especially if it is lanolized well.

I'm sorry your having to deal with that mama. How annoying!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's just brought me to the conclusion that one family can't grow under another families rules. thay arn't terrible people, they just refuse to believe that something so obviously porus could hold water. Just like they don't see why having a tv running constantly annoys me, or why I like to pick a glass for the day and drink out of just the one glass, refilling it as my thirst requires throughout the day rather than using a glass, washing it and putting it away for EACH AND EVERY drink I would like that day.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Quote:
why I like to pick a glass for the day and drink out of just the one glass, refilling it as my thirst requires throughout the day rather than using a glass, washing it and putting it away for EACH AND EVERY drink I would like that day.
LOL, my BIL is so funny with me doing this - he picks my glass up all the time and says "is this YOUR glass?"

Sucks about the wool.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by baileyandmikey
Well I would cut a pair of pul pants so just the waistband was left, and leave it sticking up out from under the wool cover, kwim. just so they THINK your babe is in plastic pants under the wool

to you, H

·
Registered
788 Posts
Ok, understand now. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, they think they've got their house "protected" now; what about when your child gets sick and throws up all over the furniture/carpet; or takes off running after their bath and pees on the floor before you can catch them; or shakes their sippy cup as hard as they can to make the milk come out; or when they are potty training and make CONSTANT PUDDLES; ETC ETC ETC!!!
Such is life with a child, and I have personally found that leaking through wool or fleece covers is a LOT less of a concern than all the other ways children can make a mess! But I'm sure you already know that.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Umm, seriously. You have a baby, and you're living with them. They really think that nothing is going to get colored on, peed on, puked on, pooped on, drawn on, etc. They sound like they're a bit in need of a reality check.

Last month, ds found a sharpie marker (that dh brought home from the lab, and supposedly kept out of ds's reach
), and now my off-white ottoman looks like a zebra. Whatcha' gonna do? I laughed, cleaned the ink off ds with some rubbing alcohol and went on with my day. I figure that's just life until all my kids are teenagers, and then I'll have a whole different set of problems.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Ok, I was just telling dh about your situation, and since he is such a gentle, kind, encouraging person, he said I should have actually said that you are to be admired for sticking with your IL's rules, etc. If you couldn't figure it out from my posts, I'm a little bit argumentative...

ANYWAY, here's what I'll say this time:
Even though wool and fleece ARE nice, you are doing a good job by submitting to your IL's authority as the owners of the home you are residing in. I understand that it is a hard situation, but everything is going to work out fine, and I hope you are able to move into your own place soon. (And as a side note--- after going through phases of all-wool, I personally currently use Dappi and Bummis pull-on nylon covers on my boys because I LOVE how leakproof they are, and never have to worry about diaper sticking out.... so even though you are wishing you could do wool, think of the positives of the covers you are using- cheap, easy to care for, etc!!!).

Ok, reading this it sounds a bit cheesy, but oh well. I'm in a
mood.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I do think that they're being silly but what can you do I guess. I use plenty of PUL and nylon and like it just fine but I made some bum sweaters today and will be using those around the house a lot more. Whenever I've had wool leak at all it just wicked a tiny bit and didnt' cause any issues. Plus, it's not like your child will be lying on the carpet for a long time to cause any wicking anyway.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.