Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ladies,

I need suggestions for cloth diapers for my little 12 day old newborn. She weighs 5 lbs 5 oz. I'd like something that's not too bulky because I am concerned about hip abduction. Currently I've just been keeping a prefold laying under her bottom. I've looked at a few "preemie" cds online, but it's not very obvious if they are trim between the legs or not. I'm not overly concerned about absorbency because we're also ECing. I prefer fitted diapers with snaps, but would definitely consider other options.

Also, any btdt with diapering small babies are appreciated!

Thanks!

Lisa
mom to Maggie (6yrs), Andrew (3 yrs), and Claire (12 days)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Kissaluvs size 0s is what I would recommend. They are what worked best for my girl. I first used them when she got up to 5 lbs or so. They did look kind of bulky at first, because she was so small. They are very soft and stretchy though and if you plan to go coverless with them they would be even less bulky. I also used Infant CPFs, but those are definitely more bulky between the legs than fitteds.

Congratulations on your new babe!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Dd weighed a little over 5lbs when she got out of the NICU. We just used preemie prefolds and litewraps. They grow so fast, she was in newborn stuff at around 7-8lbs, and is still in mostly smalls at 7months (about 13 lbs). I'd just get preemie prefolds and newborn fitteds (your dd will be in them before you know it). Congratulations on your little one!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Holli
I am not familiar with preemie size diapers, but I had a question about your comment about hip abduction. Is baby wearing an orthotic to assist with hip abduction and you need to find diapers that are not bulky to accomodate or are you suggesting that bulky diapers would cause hip abduction?
I'm suggesting that bulky cloth diapers could potentially cause hip abduction in my little baby. (I didn't worry about it with my second, 8 lb baby). Her little legs and hips are so small, and it looks so unnatural to have them spread apart. It's not how she naturally keeps her legs when she's naked.

I don't have any articles or research to back this up, just my intuition.

Lisa

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I am interested in where to get diapers that fit 5lbers as well. I didnt cloth diaper my son until he was 8 months old but he was only 5lbs3oz at birth and I wonder if this new baby will be as small.
I did have severe pre-e with Braedon, so that could have been why he had a low birth weight but we will see.
Anyways...Braedon is a very petite child regardless and I assume my next one will be as well, so I am interested in hearing where you can buy diapers that are smaller.

Lindsay

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
nak
www.greenmountaindiapers.com is where I got preemie prefolds/litewraps (I think she has xs bummis as well)
www.lucyshopechest.com has preemie fitteds and maybe AIOs(never tried the preemie size but I like her smalls)
I got some nb soakers from www.reusabums.com that were tiny (dd was about 7-8lbs and I could barely get them over her thighs)

that's all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Like some other posters have said.......I'd recommend preemie CPF's w/ wraps (the preemie CPF's are very tiny- not bulky at all!)......or Kissaluvs size O's if you definitely want fitteds.

Congratulations on your baby!!!

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Awwwww, my little peanut was 5 lbs 5 oz at birth. She was so, so tiny

She caught us off guard when she came 4 weeks early. Her NB dipes arrived the day I brough her home, but they were way too big. We had to use preemie size sposies at the beginning, I hadn't found MDC at that point yet

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
Yes! Congrats on your lil baby! She sounds amazing and sweet!

Hmmm, so tiny dipes. I know that hidden pearl creations makes them. Man! I wish people knew that tiny babies aren't always known about in advance! I don't think I can find any preemie instock. www.hiddenpearlcreations.com But, they are really preemie friendly and I'd bet that even with the holidays they'd make you some really fast if you e-mail them. Here's a pic of their preemie in their fitteds http://www.hiddenpearlcreations.com/...lary.asp?ID=20

For future, if you're going to ec have you considered B'Undies or Poquito pants?

I'm sad there aren't more b'undies in stock, but they do have custom trainers available.
http://www.theecstore.com

Poquito Pants are here
http://www.wonderbabydesigns.com/index.html
On a lil baby http://www.wonderbabydesigns.com/pics/Mia.jpg

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
I didn't read all of the other posts, but I would suggest Preemie unbleached indian prefolds. I had a doz when my little guy was born and I really loved them. They where very narrow in the crotch area. I used them with preemie and nb green earth covers. My son was 7lb 10 oz., but I really think it would work for your little one.

I purchased mine from www.diaperware.com

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Lukes was 6lbs 8oz and wore preemie prefolds and contour diapers. Even those were a little chunky....I don't think anything is trim on a small baby though, not even sposies. He had skinny, skinny legs and a flat little bum.
The contours were best, I think. Neither of my boys did mega-poopies for the first few weeks, and you need to change them so often.
Plus, the contours were the least fuss, which is nice with a newborn. I hated trying to snap on a fitted.
I used contours from our hospital (!) with their covers or else Proraps. They were not too bad size-wise.

·
Registered
669 Posts
My bitty baby (5lb 11oz) wore mostly preemie wool covers with a lay in doubler. They pee so little when they are that small, you can really stick anything in there. Especially when ECing. They will hold back most of the pee and poo for in the potty when they get the hang of it. I had a tiny tiny wool cover from freshies that I loved, I would lay in a fleece topped hemp doubler and fold the top to fit lengthwise. Or you could use snap in soakers from your newborn sized or small sized dipes. I did that too. I never used the preemie pf's b/c I didn't know they made them until my bean was bigger. So I mostly used the doublers in a snug wrap (like a prowrap, but I mostly used fleece and wool WAHM ones) and used newborn sized snapdragons (www.theposiepatch.com) coverless, as they were a little bulkier.

Oh, and the Kissaluvs 0's were enormous and bulky and not that absorbant, IMO. I hated them. But I haven't found a front snap dipe I like yet, so that may be why. (except the one elbee I own, that's growing on me!!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.