Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you read my last (first) post, you know this is all new to me... please be kind (and patient.)

My DS is 17 months old &, until extremely recently, I NEVER considered cloth diapers. I think if he were a baby, I probably would be too overwhelmed to even do it now. But, I've been seriously considering it b/c I figure he'll probably stay in the same size from now until he starts going potty. My question is - how do you get started? There are so many systems out there I don't know whats best. What the heck is the liner, the cover, etc? And fabrics... I know nothing about fabric beyong, "hey, that's cute." What do I do? And is cloth diapering really that simple - even for someone who hates doing laundry? I know all the benefits & I'm feeling like they probably outweigh the challenges - but need the map.

On a similar note, I have decided that mama cloths are for me (which makes me think that if I'm not willing anymore to have chemicals up against my "privates" - why should poor DS have to suffer for my laziness...)
Anyway, a lot of the links that were in a previous thread don't have stuff in stock - only glad rags did. And, hey, those aren't that cute.
Any advice for where to find things that I can actually buy now?

Thank you all so much - in advance - Jenn

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JennCBE
My question is - how do you get started? There are so many systems out there I don't know whats best. What the heck is the liner, the cover, etc? And fabrics... I know nothing about fabric beyong, "hey, that's cute." What do I do? And is cloth diapering really that simple - even for someone who hates doing laundry?
For more advice and info, you might want to go over to the diapering forum. Lots of people there know LOTS about cloth diapers. But most of the choices depend on how much money you're willing to spend, how many times a week you want to do laundry, whether you have daycare provides who aren't famiiar with cloth, etc.

There are hundreds of cloth diapering stores online. If you go to www.diaperpin.com there are lots of links to stores and lots of info on diapering.

The most common, basic system is prefold diapers plus waterproof covers. If you want to try out cloth, you could buy (possibly second hand) some prefolds and a few different covers to try. That's all you need. Some of the diaper stores will offer intro packages that allow you to try a few different things to see what you like. Liners (disposable, stay-dry, silk etc.) are optional extras you might find you want once you know more about what works for you.

It is really simple. For us, cloth diapering adds 2 loads of laundry per week. And you're probably right about your son staying in the same size - my ds has been in the same size covers for about 18 months now (since he was 16 months) and the same size prefolds since 8 months. It's very very cost-effective.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Definitely visit the diapering forum.
The set-up I recommend is "one size fits all" fitted diapers w/snaps + pull-on covers. Affordable, easy to use, no pins, snaps don't pick up lint like Velcro does. My favorite diapers are Mother-Ease which have a great fit and stay remarkably soft, but coming in a close second are the inexpensive Dri-Line Snug-to-Fits which dry faster and come in cute prints; they're available from Katie's Kisses and Little Squirts. Dappi nylon covers are among the least expensive covers on the market, but they are great at preventing leaks! Katie's has those too.

For mama cloth, Diaperware has a great selection and excellent customer service!

Enjoy your cloth journey! It's wonderful!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts