Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG, I just went to go wash DS's dipes and the ammonia smell hit me like a ton of bricks, I literally almost fell over!!!! Had to go hurl (sorry if that's TMI).

Am I destined to puke everytime I wash dipes for nine months or does someone have an anti-smelling secret for washing dipes???? Please advise!

Kitty

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
dont worry, it will improve. in the mean time, buy some essential oil, and put a drop in a clean wipe and hold it over your nose while you wash. i used eucalyptus because i am addicted to it. i have a EO problem. LOL

make sure its natural EO and something you enjoy, perhaps lavender?

good luck mama! youll get there!

tabitha

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tabitha
dont worry, it will improve.
I'm just dreading nine months of this (I've had nine months of "all day sickness" with my other three) so it may be that I need to give birth before it improves!

That's a great idea with the essential oil though, I'm going to give it a shot. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Oh, no! You poor thing
I was sick for 5 months of my pregnancy. I didn't even thing about cleaning diapers when I get pregnant again!

Are you usually sick more in the mornings or all the time? Maybe you could wash diapers in the evenings
What about using one of those ball buddies diaper pail thingys?

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristiansMomma
Are you usually sick more in the mornings or all the time? Maybe you could wash diapers in the evenings
What about using one of those ball buddies diaper pail thingys?
Pretty much all day although the mornings usually are worse so that's a really good idea - I'll have to move around the dipe washing schedule and try that out.

Don't know what a ball buddie diaper pail thingy is... but I'm going to see if I can figure it out.... not sure if it would work though - sounds like it might give me double the smell (ammonia and smelly ball buddie thing!) I have a ery sensitive pregnant nose! LOL.

Kitty

·
Registered
77 Posts
I could not stand the ammonia smell either so I actually rinse ALL my diapers before putting them in the diaper pail. Some would not like that because they would say it's too much work. But, the smell is not NEAR as bad when you open the diaper pail to wash them and I rareky have a smell problems with my dipes
HTH!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
i fill up my washer in the morning's and throw all the diapers in there throughout the day. Then at the end of the day i run the washer and do all my laundry after my diapers are done. I dont even own a diaper pail. It keeps the smell out of my house .....

Melda

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I am very sensitive to scents/smells normally, so when I was PG-OH BOY!! I can't even imagine washing diapers! PM your address if you want, I can get you some of those face masks from the hospital. You can even put some EO in them too. I know if you are like me-it is every smell. Good or bad. Even smells that I used to like made me sick.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Can your dh do the diaper laundry for awhile? That would take care of it.

I like the suggestion of putting the diapers directly into the washer, and running at the end of the day, too....for me, it's the WHOOSH of diaper smell when I dump the pail in the washer that made me sick... Yuck!

Congrats on your pregnancy!

·
Registered
431 Posts
best advice BREATH THROUGH YOUR MOUTH
I have always done that although I must add that sometimes it just didnt work. It should hopefully go away i hope it does for you it did for me after a couple months good luck!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Congratulations! I've been thinking about the diaper smell lately and I realize that the smell is probably going to send me right to the toilet!

But when I was pregnant with my daughter, I discovered that the only types of odors that bothered me were "food" smells, not regular old bad smells. So maybe it will get better???

·
Registered
427 Posts
I was lucky when I was pregnant we were in an apartment with public laundry room in the basement so my husband always did it for me. I was always too tired and then my belly was too big to carry a basket... LOL That was my excuse anyway...

Azadeh

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
I remember those days. I had morning sickness all day to and had it so bad that I had to go to sposies for four months. but as soon as the morning sickness past I went back to my cloth.

Christina

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melda
i fill up my washer in the morning's and throw all the diapers in there throughout the day. Then at the end of the day i run the washer and do all my laundry after my diapers are done. I dont even own a diaper pail. It keeps the smell out of my house .....

Melda
This is what I was going to suggest. Just put the dirty dipes in the washer as they come off the baby and you dont have to deal with them stewing in the pail getting stinky.

Hope #4 will be the magic pregnancy in which you only feel sick for the first tri-mester!

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melda
I'd love to do that Melda but I have a front loader so it won't work
: It's the one thing I hate about my front loader!

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucysmama
Can your dh do the diaper laundry for awhile? That would take care of it.
I don't let him touch the dipes! I think I'd rather puke.... :LOL Seriously, he can't understand not to use fabric softener and he uses way too much detergent and worst of all - he tries to put wool covers in the wash with them!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
My DH did eventually take over the laundry, but when I had to do it, I would stuff cottom balls or TP in little wads in my notrils. Other wise it was :puke for sure!

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanx all for the awesome ideas. I wonder if I switch to a wet pail method for awhile that will help (since I can't do the washer bit)? I think I'm going to try a combo of these ideas and see what works. My DH is a paramedic/firefighter so I'm going to ask him about getting me some of those face masky things (thanks so much for the offer though Amber - you are too sweet! If he can't get them I will PM you for sure!).

Best,
Kitty (who's feeling much better now that fresh smelling diapers are freed from the dryer and our pail is all cleaned out and fresh smelling)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts