Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ds has an ear infection and the doc gave him some antibiotics and now he has diarreha, his poor bum is red and sore and I feel so bad. If we didnt have carpet I would let him run around bare bum. He wears CD so I have been keeping the covers off so he gets as much air as possible, I put bum cream on him, but I dont want it to get out of hand. Is there anything I can give him to help? He does eat solids but hasnt had the intrest lately cause we have been sick on top of this infection. I nurse him and nurse him and give him water to keep him hydrated but there has to be more i can do. Advice anyone?

TIA

·
Registered
64 Posts
Our dd had antibiotic-related diarreaha that lasted a few days and an irritated-looking bottom, but it didn't seem to bother her. If it's not bothering your baby and your doctor's not concerned, just know the situation will resolve itself soon. FYI, our dd had antibiotics another time after that and did not get diarreaha.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Probiotics to re-supply the gut with good bacteria. The antibiotics kill off everything regardless of good/bad. And our digestive tract needs bacteria in order to function properly. For babies mostly getting breastmilk, the brands I've been recommended, and would use, are Solaray BabyLife (non-dairy) or Natren Life Start (has dairy). You'll need to give them a couple hours after each dose of antibiotics, and then for a while after the course is done.

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Probiotics to re-supply the gut with good bacteria. The antibiotics kill off everything regardless of good/bad. And our digestive tract needs bacteria in order to function properly. For babies mostly getting breastmilk, the brands I've been recommended, and would use, are Solaray BabyLife (non-dairy) or Natren Life Start (has dairy). You'll need to give them a couple hours after each dose of antibiotics, and then for a while after the course is done.

All babes not just BF ones, should get Bifidobacterium. Just BF babes are more likely to have a Bifido dominent gut (and have less immune and allergy problems b/c of it.)

Infants and Gut Flora
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...6&postcount=20

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.