Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>DD1 has had diarrhea for about a week now.   Not painful and not super frequent (maybe 3-4 times a day), but very loose.  Sometimes it is pure liquid and others it is just loose stool.  Before that she was having loose stool for about a month.  I thought it may be because of nursing (I lost my milk early in pregnancy, but she continued to nurse the entire time and now my milk is plentiful and she nurses 3-5 times a day).  Now it is getting looser and looser.  She does not seem dehydrated and does not have a fever.  She is not a fan of the BRAT diet though.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I don't feel it necessary at this point to take her to the doc, but DH wants me to.</p>

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
<p>A week wouldn't concern me (some bugs last 10 days or so). But if I'm reading that she has had loose stools for a month prior? I'm a little confused. But if this has been going on longer than two weeks I'd want to have her seen.</p>

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Two weeks. After two weeks of loose stools, I would take the child in. I would do that for any marked change in bowel habits. By two weeks, most self-limiting viruses will have resolved themselves. At that point, we have to go looking for another cause-- whether it be bacterial, parasitical, or diet-related, or in rarer cases, a symptom of a larger chronic illness.<br><br>
<a href="http://cpnonline.org/CRS/CRS/pa_diarrhto_hhg.htm" target="_blank">http://cpnonline.org/CRS/CRS/pa_diarrhto_hhg.htm</a><br><br>
This is the Pediatric Adviser index that my ped's office uses to provide triage by phone. It's based on a child younger than three-- I think you have a toddler, right? They also have one for older children, too, on that same site.

·
Registered
138 Posts
<p>Are her second molars coming in? I remember my daughter had loose stools around 2.5 but she was teething her second molars.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts