Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sat, my 16-month old woke up from her nap and had diarrhea and vomited several times. She vomited twice more throughout Sat night-Sun morning and spiked a high fever (we didn't take temp..but probably 102-103ish) all day Sun. During that time she was very lethargic and just lied around and nurseed A TON. Sun night she threw up right before bed, then again at midnight, and had a very soft, liquidy, runny poop. This morning her fever is much lower, she has a little more energy, but she also had another liquidy, runny, poop.<br><br>
How do you tell if those recent poops are diarrhea or just so soft and liquidy because she had eaten nothing but breastmilk for over 36 hours, and a LARGE amount of breast milk at that. The poops don't really smell bad..although there is an odor..more than you would find in a newborn or infant poop but it's not that strong.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Dr Sears has a good article on diarrhea. Go to askdrsears.com and search for diarrhea. It sounds like diarrhea to me.<br><br>
We have had several stomach viruses in our family, and my kids almost always have diarrhea following the vomiting. Just let it run its course. You can follow the BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast), hold off on dairy, and avoid juices except for white grape. Dr. Sears' website goes into more detail. (Sorry, I can't post a link. We just got a new computer and it won't let me copy/paste!)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts