Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I normally wouldn't post here b/c I have a 3 yr old DD and am pregnant (no little baby yet), but I thought this would be the best place for my current concern.

Did any of you fly with your newborns? If so, how young? I know that you should nurse on take-off and landing and other protocols, but my real concern is how young is too young to take a baby on a plane trip?

I am due early November and would like to plan a trip for mid December to visit family. If my baby is 2 weeks late he/she would only be 4 weeks at the time we are thinking about traveling. If 2 weeks early, 8 weeks old. If on time, 6 weeks old.

Any feedback would be great- advice, good or bad stories, examples. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I flew when my first was a newborn. I can't remember exactly, but he was like 4-5 weeks old.

It went great! I had everyone tell me to bring a bottle and pacifier and I was still so unsure! I remember just saying in this little voice, "um... I think I'll nurse..."

I did. We got "the look" from a lot of people, boarding the plane with a tiny baby! But he nursed, slept, and never made a peep! (There was one messy poo incident, but hey- that's whay daddy was there for!)

We were flying in a large party, and at one point our connection was messed up and only some of could go on, while some of us had to wait. The airline insisted those with me go thru first and not wait, since I had a baby. It was great- we arrived hours before anyone else.

The flight home was just as easy.

I am flying with a two year old this month, and I am not looking forward to that!!!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
My best friend just flew w/ a 4.5 month old. People were giving them the 'look', too but she was no problem. They had her as a lap child (no separate seat) and my friend was grateful she'd brought along a bed pillow for her lap, she had another place besides her lap.

The only problem they had was no seat assignments for one leg and they had to be pathetic to get someone to switch so they could be together.

I'm planning the same as you, 34 weeks today and planning on flying from Alaska to NY from Thanksgiving thru New Years.

·
Registered
490 Posts
My experience was similar. When Ozaiis was just over 2 months old, I flew to Chicago with him. I was on standby so I was just about the last person on the plane, and I too got 'the looks' from everyone. I just nursed him and he was quiet the entire time.

When we were getting off the plane everyone was going crazy over him, saying how cute he was and quiet and they never heard him make a peep! One girl even called people on her cell phone to tell them how cute he was and how amazing it was, that he didn't cry at all.

I just made sure he was a good combination of awake and tired - not so awake that he wouldn't sleep at all and would be annoyed at having to sit on my lap, and not so overtired that he WOULDN'T sleep.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i flew with ds when he was 4 weeks, and it was fine. the sound of the airplane lulled him to sleep. the only time he was fussy was in the airport between flights. Like you said, nurse up and down (the flight attendant wanted me to hod him upright, but as soon as she left, I started nursing). We were on 3 flights and he was fine on all three. So happy travels!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

Faith, I have plenty of experience flying with a 2 year old. My DD and I have flown on average 5 times/year since she was 6 months old. Let me know if you want any tips.

-Julie

·
Registered
22 Posts
Julie and anyone else who has good suggestions:

I know to nurse and bring sippie cup and food...what I am afraid of is that ds gets excited and doesn't want to nurse, drink, eat, or chew...He wants to look and explore. Any ideas on how to help his little ears?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
You can use the homeopathic remedy camillia to sooth a super fussy baby. Its good for teething and for the ear pain. I used a bit with my daughter who was 6 months when we flew. Mostly she didnt need it though, nursing does the trick.

With that said the thing about nursing is that you must do it on takeoff and landing as that is when the cabin pressure fluctuates. Once you are cruising alititude it doesnt make a difference.

Good luck!

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
We flew when our oldest was 2 1/2- 3 weeks old. No problems whatsoever. I did nurse on takeoff but for her it wasnt needed. She slept most of the way. I also had a binki for her but she didnt like them.

DD was/is a very high needs baby.

Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Just wanted to add that I was all set to nurse during take offs and landings. Dd was 2 months at the time. Well, she was sleeping and/or not hungry for all 4 take offs and 3 of the landings, and no problem whatsoever. Dr. Sears' book had said, "it is the one time you'll want to wake a sleeping baby," but I tried to wake her and THAT made her fuss! So I'm just saying that take offs and landings aren't necessarily a problem and if you end up not nursing it isn't like the end of the world.

Dd was an absolute princess on our trip! Hope your trip goes as well, I don't know with a toddler, that's the one I'd worry about!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
We flew with DD at 3 months and at 19 months. It was easier at 3 months, though it would have helped a lot if we had figured out how to use the sling. We nursed at take offs and landings, except the last landing. She was awake and not interested in nursing and still had no trouble. She only cried once the whole trip, and that was only for a few seconds, but I still got the dirtiest look from the woman across from us.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am not absolutely sure about this but I thought some airlines have guidelines about how old your newborn needs to be in order to fly. Just like you cannot fly past a certain month of your pregnancy without a doctors okay.

Anyway I flew with my 1.5 month old and she did beautifully. I didn't notice any harsh looks like I was expecting; I suppose that will happen as she gets older. I didn't even need to nurse on take off and landing; she would just yawn!!! If she had struggled I would have taken her out of her seat but I knowthe importance of being in her seat upon take off and landing.

Happy flying!
~Tricia

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is this camommile (Sp?)? Do you put it into her ears as well as orally or just orally?

I will definitely try this if he won't nurse and is upset! Thanks!!!

I now know how hard it must be for those moms who are dealing with an unhappy kid on the plane...easy is not the word for it, and anyone who is critical on the plane must not have children. If they do, shame on them!

Even if ds doesn't nurse, maybe the landing and takeoff won't hurt...Only thing is that I have to CONSTANTLY pop my ears when I am on a flight...maybe he has his daddy's ears!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I flew with my 6 week old from NYC to Barbados for a wedding and it was fine! I had gotten the same advice about nursing during take offs and landings but he slept through most of them without a peep. The airline staff was great, even rearranged our seat assignments so we had an extra seat between us and we laid down a blanket and let him sleep there when he got fidgety in our arms. He was so good...someone actually asked us if we drugged him

I will be flying to Costa Rica with him at 10 months and that's the trip I'm dreading

·
Registered
14 Posts
My son is 4 mos. and has flown five times. We first flew when he was only 3 wks old. I have never nursed him takeoff or landing--I have always been ready to but he never fussed at all. My only advice is to wipe down the seat area when you first get on to keep things fairly sanitary. When they're young, it's the best time to travel!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts