Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I debated even doing the dang thing, but in the end I figured I had nothing to worry about, so I did it anyways...

well, my doctors office called me this morning to tell me I failed. My number was 144. I figured that wasn't TOO bad, since the cutoffs for those tests are usually around 135-140. Yea, well.. the nurse informed me that their cutoff was 105
:

105!?!?! Maybe for a fasting blood sugar. But for a peak? What the heck?

So now I feel like a total piece of crap and I'm scared to boot, so I will go back for the 3 hour test on Wednesday.

Does 105 seem awfully low for a peak blood-sugar to anyone else? Is anyone else even taking the glucose test?

I eat a pretty well balanced diet, with only the occasional indulgence..

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I've been testing at home with a meter for the past 3 days, my midwife got concerned when she found out that ds was 9 lbs 13 oz, although I told her repeatedly that large babies are normal on my side of the family (I was close to 9lbs, my father was 9lbs 13 oz and his brother was 11 lbs 15 oz, he actually broke a record at the time
)
As far as I understand, 70-100 is considered a normal fasting range. 100-125 is considered a normal range 1 hour after a meal, with the glucose level returning to around 100 2 hours after a meal.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi,
I know a few women who tested high on the screening test but did not turn out to have gestational diabetes upon completing the diagnostic test. (I wasn't one of them, LOL!) But try and hope for the best -- and try not to feel too bad about your current diet or health. Having insulin resistance in pregnancy is NOT an indication of irresponsibility in any way!

I took the screening test and the diagnostic test for gestational diabetes in my first pregnancy. I never thought of myself as "failing" the tests, but I did test "high," during the screening test, so I went on to take the diagnostic test. The diagnostic test showed that I did have insulin-resistance, so I started to cut out the refined carbs, count carbs, eat every two hours, make sure I got some exercise every day (even just a short walk). I was able to manage my blood sugars just fine, had my son at home, etc.

But it was a BIG emotional adjustment for me -- I was just starting to enjoy my pregnancy and then this whole thing had to happen! Ugh!! I have always eaten "well" and been fit -- and if that is true in your case, consider yourself lucky if you do have gest. diabetes, since you won't have to change THAT much in order to keep yourself and child healthy.

BTW, I didn't take the screening or diagnostic test this time, since I have just been doing my daily blood sugars. It was AMAZING that exactly at 25 weeks my blood sugars totally changed. Just like that, I was insulin-resistant! It was actually a relief, as I no longer have so many blood sugar crashes and ups and downs like I was having before.

Sorry to tell you my life story -- I hope some of it helps! Try not to be too hard on yourself. Also, you might be interested in this article by Henci Goer:

http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregna...,,9z3m,00.html

Take care,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello!

Yes, I "failed" the one hour screening as well. I am very frustrated by the entire process! I know what presumptions will be made if I fail the 3 hour test and how that could effect my birth options.

I would like to refuse the 3 hour test, but I am afraid that will affect my ability to deliver at the birth center where I have been receiving my care. I am scheduled to have the 3 hour test done tomorrow, and I will certainly discuss the options with my midwife.

Stacey, thank you for the link to to the Groer article! Good information for me to have to share with the midwife. It was well-written with excellent references.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the article... I havent had a chance to read all of it as I am busy at work. But so far I am impressed with the info..

·
Registered
369 Posts
I failed with my son. I got a blood sugar monitor and was told to go on a diabetic diet. What I did at first was simply eat what I wanted and monitor my sugars and I never had high blood sugar, so I didn't change my diet and so it was not an issue. Since I do have amonitor, I have been watching my sugars this pregnancy, but I have declined to take the GTT - there seems no point if the sugars are not going high. My OB didn't like it, but he agreed.

Here is what they told me for pregnancy sugars:
fasting < 95
1 hour after eating < 145
2 hours after eating < 120

105 does seem like a really silly/high cut-off after the GTT!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Oh heck did I ever fail it. 144 sounds good to me, mine were over 160.
I also failed last time, and at the 3 hour I usually go above 210. Just like Stacy I felt it "switch on" this time (23 weeks) and knew I would show high sugars at both tests. I have been checking my sugars for 3 weeks now, and as long as I don't eat cherries, ice cream or rice I can keep my sugar in the average range. So what is average? I have seen several different numbers in here. This is what the clinical nurse practitioner from the diabetes clinic has me follow:

fasting (AM prior to breakfast) 75-95
Two hours after a meal or good sizd snack 85-120.

Anything over 120 is considered high, but 90-120 is average for most people.

I test every two hours after the first meal. I decide what to eat based on how I am doing for the day. I avoid my trigger foods and focus on keeping up my healthy, high calorie, vegetarian, twin mama diet with the expectation that I will pair all carbs with fat and protein, and avoid all simple sugars. If I am running high sugars repeatedly after eating a certain food I eliminate it (goodbye rice, I will miss you). I was a healthy, fit woman prior to diagnosis during both pregnancies, and as much as it pisses me off I now know this is part of how my body makes babies. Strong, healthy, average size babies. No 10 pounders for me. I do what I need to do to keep the numbers low, and I bitch about not tgetting to eat cherries and ice cream cake. Such is life.

Good luck with your test, and don't get discouraged. A healthy baby is what you want, and depending on what you want for your birth, chances are you will get it through good communication with your provider and good management of your pregnacy. I'll cross my fingers for a good outcome for you.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I "failed" the one-hour with both of my other pregnancies, but when I did the three-hour those came back fine.

I'm pretty paranoid about it, mostly because now I have two kids and a husband in grad school who can't be home during the day to watch them for me to be gone for four hours to take the stupid test... I was supposed to have my one-hour done about two weeks ago and I didn't go, and when I had my mw appt last Monday she didn't ask about it. She probably assumes that the results just didn't get to her yet... I guess I'm going to have to do it but I am just dreading it, esp since I cannot make an appt at the lab so I have to go very early in the morning (like 6 am - about three and a half hours before we usually get up) AND I'm supposed to have eaten a decent meal first. UGH.

My mw did say that I could eat a small box of raisins rather than drink the glucola. Also, the old mw's I had (before I switched to the HB mw) made me do an early one-hour for this pregnancy because I am a bit overweight (which I thought was stupid, esp given my history, and my mw now thinks it was dumb too but I still have to do another one??!!), and I cut out sugars for about two days before going in for the test and passed it fine... I don't know if that made a difference or not but I'm planning to do it again before I take another one-hour.

Ugh!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The fasting test has a false positive rate of more than 50%. I will dig up the link for you...

Here's the link. Discussion of GD begins page 96.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Do you have a friend or family member closeby with a glucometer? I refused the GTT, but said I would use my dad's glucometer to test my blood sugar around the 28 week point. My doctor was totally fine with that. If you have GD and your current diet isn't controlling it, testing your blood sugar with your current diet will show there's a problem. If your current diet is controlling it, well, you don't need to change anything.

I've spilling sugar in my urine at every single midwife appt since 12 weeks, so I went ahead and did a glucometer test at my dad's house last week (at 22 weeks). So far, so good. 2 hours post-meal, my blood sugar was 94, which is perfectly normal. I'll test a few times again at 28 weeks, just to verify. My dad is obviously diabetic (seeing as how he has a glucometer), I'm overweight, and my baby was already measuring 2 weeks ahead via u/s at 20 weeks (probably will just be a 9 lb baby, so not huge or anything, and that size wouldn't surprise me, coming from me and DH). So I do have risk factors for GD, but I don't like the way the GTT is done (overloading the body with glucose), and I think testing with a glucometer after meals of your normal diet is sufficient.

(and on the spilling sugar note... I've read that that can be a variation of normal for some pregnant women - in case anyone else is having that issue!)

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Vera,
I agree with you about testing your sugars rather than taking the GTT, however testing once 2 hours after a meal is not an accurate picture. You need to do a minimum of 24 hours, but 3 days is more realistic to get an accurate picture of what is going on. Also, if you fail the 3 hour, they may ask for a 24 hour urine collection to get a more accurate picture of the "spillage"

A pp said something about cutting out sugar for a few days before the test, but I don't think that would help. 1) It's not an accurate picture of what you eat normally if you just change for the test. and 2) If you drink the Glucola after not having any sugars you might spike to higher levels on the one hour because your insulin production has been scaled back to meet a lower demand for sugar in the previous days. One hour will not be enough time for your body to handle it.

Please don't be afraid of this test. It only Affects 4% of us! They aren't trying to trap you into something, but if you try and cheat you may end up with a false positive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.