Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad lives in NY and I want to tell him in a cooler way then just hey dad I'm expecting again....any suggestions?? we are going there for Christmas, and we were going to wear shirts that said"I'm the mom" I'm the dad...and my 20 month old was going to wear a shirt that said i'm the older brother, but I don't think I can hold it in until then....

·
Registered
212 Posts
With this one (the 3rd) I had taken DS1 to the pedi that morning because he'd been up all night sick. I POAS before I left and shoved it in my pocket and it turned up very very faintly positive.

So when we got home, DH asked what was wrong with DS and I said "Honey, I'm afraid I have very bad news. The pediatrician ran a bunch of tests and it turns out he's pregnant." And I handed him the HPT as proof. It took him a second to get it.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
We made a little video of me making dinner. DH asks "Is dinner almost ready?" I say "Not for a while... but there's a bun in the oven." He goes "Woo-hoo! When will that be ready?!" "End of November."

We put it up with the normal gallery and things of our son and just told all the family to check it out because there are new things up.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
We do this really dorky thing with our T-giving dinners. We all go around the table and tell everyone what we're thankful for in the past year. Guess what I'm saying this year? I've never looked forward to that part of dinner before.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I kind of like the way I told ds, and you might be able to adapt it to your situation by doing it to your ds in front of your dad.

I really hadn't planned on telling him that day but bean had other ideas and really seemed to be reacting to his presence and wanting him to know about his/hers. ds was standing by the measuring wall and we were trying to figure out if he was six fet yet (he isn't) so I said, comfortingly, "Well, you're taller than your sister, anyway. She's only about three inches tall."

He did a bewildered double-take and glanced towards dd's room, and I said, "No, no, no. Not THAT sister, your OTHER sister!" as if it was painfully obvious what I had meant.

I didn't really get to tell dd because her bf was around when I found out and I kind of wanted her to be the very first person who knew. Then I had to work a bunch of double shifts and her work schedule was crazy too, so we didn't see or talk to each other for about a week except for on Instant Messanger (and I wasn't ABOUT to tell her on that!) and when we were finally in the house at the same time and both awake she said she'd already figured it out from the way I was acting.

WTF? How could she have known I was acting any particular way!

Other than that, I just tell people. I can't believe they don't immediately know by looking at me and ask, but since I am 42 and single and we have a lot of cancer in my neck of the woods, they are probably genuinely afraid that it's a tumor and I can't afford medical care.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
A good friend of mine did this the other day and it was a hit!

She put together a small package and mailed it to his work (with help from a coworker who was to call her when it arrived so she could be on the phone with him when he got it).....

So they were chatting and he didn't get it at first until she stressed, look at the picture...she had her son in a I'm a BIG brother tshirt holding the U/S pic....and he got it and was soo happy!!!

It took her a few days to get it all together.....

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I threw my test at dh and burst into tears and sobbed "are you happy??? I"M PREGNANT AGAIN!" he was happy though. my mom I just burst into tears and said that I was having another baby. my out of town family I just told on IM "I have some kind of good news...I'm having ANOTHER baby"

my pregnancy was a big suprise though and with a 2.5y/o and a 1y/o I haven't quite gotten happy about it.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I don't know how creative this was .....but when I was pg with #2 we put a "Big Brother" shirt on my DS and met our mom's for our usual Friday night pizza. It was pretty funny, it took them both about 10 minutes to notice what he was wearing.

We might do the same thing this time and put the shirt (how funny is it that it's the same one?) on DS#2 when we meet them for pizza and see if they notice!

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
These are interesting. I find out if I'm pregnant or not in a few days, and if I am (hopefully) I have to figure out how to tell my husband. This will be our first, so I can't do the big bro/sis idea.

I was thinking I'd like to use my digital camera to record his reaction, but that might be too obvious & it would probably be nice to be able to just run and hug him after I say something instead of worrying about a camera. I am getting a blood test so I will only have a print out - not a pee stick.

Any ideas? I've heard about people buying bibs that said "I love Daddy", but I'm not sure if I want to buy anything yet. I also will need a way to tell my mom when I'm pregnant - she lives an hour away but we work in the same town so we see each other for lunch often.

·
Registered
612 Posts
When I found out I was pregnant with our first, DH and I were vacationing in Puerto Rico. On the last day there, I set up a video camera on the beach under the guise of recording our thoughts about the trip. I told him we should "interview" eachother, and it would be a nice way to remember our favorite things. (We've both done a lot of media studies stuff, so it was geeky and perfect for us
)

At the end of the interviews, I told him I had one more thing for him, and presented a onesie that said PUERTO RICO. He was completely baffled, and said, "That's not my size..." I blurted out that I was pregnant, and it was all really cute.

To tell our families and friends, we made a simple slideshow of pics from our trip. It ended with the video and a picture of our first u/s. Of course, this takes some particular planning, but everyone was really surprised, and loved it.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
My DH isn't much for cooking, so when we were TTC the first time, we agreed that when I got pregnant, he'd make me dinner. I just called him at work and said, "So, what are you making for dinner?" ;-)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I sent my parents a pic of my positive hpt but they didn't know what it was....
So I explained it when I called the next day and they were all excited! I wanted to send a fun card w/ something about the #10 b/c this was the 10th grandbaby, but that wasn't happening, so I emailed the pic. I wanted to tell dh that way too, but figured that was a bit too impersonal or shocking to see at work. So I got a "Congratulations on your new baby" card, wrote "Suprise!" inside and put a positive test inside. He was excited! It was fun.

Oh, and he told his parents when he visited them the next week. We bought a cute onesie and gave it to his mom w/ something about "grandma's house" written on it. It was fun!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I just remembered sme things that let people know I was pregnant...

There was a big group of friends, we had all gotten together for a movie and ice cream. In a lull in conversation I say "Man, this is good ice cream. Only thing that could make it better would be pickles!"

DH was at a business conference in Nashville. The Wildhorse Saloon sells fried pickles, I guess they're famous for them. Anyhow, he picked up a shirt for me that has the restaurant name on the back and "Got Pickles?" on the front.

As far as telling DH, both times it's just been running down the hall with a peed-on stick going "I'm PREGNANT!!!!! I'M PREGNANT!!!!" jumping up and down and trying to hug him and him just trying to keep the pee stick away from himself

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
DF's parents were the last to know last time ( about 5 hours after she was born to be exact) Long story, we werent together, he refused to tell anyone, I didnt know his family and figured it would work itself out. it did! :)

Df thought it ould be really nice to have them be the first to know if we got Pg again. As SOON as we knew, i went out and bought a little card that had a purple leephant on the front, on the inside it said something like tiny toes, tons of love, congrats.
I wrote on it COMING APRIL 08! and then in fine prit on the bottom *shhh please dont tell, you are the first and only to know for now.

They were estatic

·
Registered
345 Posts
We decided to wait until my mom's birthday and tell her in a birthday card, which made me 6 months at that point, so waiting any longer wasn't much of an option---my stomach popped enough to the point where I couldn't hide it anymore a few weeks later, lol.

We made up little index cards with a few name options and an empty space for her to pick a name herself, one card for a girl, one card for a boy, since we don't know the gender, wrote down the EDD, and wrote that her birthday present was to help us pick a name for the baby and tucked them in the birthday card. She was pretty oblivious, she asked if we were all taking a November vacation (lmfao, I WISH!) after seeing the EDD. It took a few minutes for the connections to be made, lol.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
When I got PG last year with my first, I told my dad I had a picture I wanted him to see and handed him my u/s...

I am PG with my second and this time I brought Jack over to his house and he was wearing a shirt that said "I'm going to be a big brother" it took my 67yo dad a few minutes to be able to read it...lol...the link won't post for some reason but I got it at cookiebabyinc.com

As for all of our extended family we are sending out this announcement.

As for telling DH...the first time we did IVF so there really wasn't much surprise for him...but the day I got the official word from my RE I gave him a gift I had bought 2 years earlier when we first started trying to have a baby...it was a Jeremy Shockey baby jersey...

This time was a total surprise and I found out I was PG on DH's b-day. In his card I wrote that we were going to be a very happy family of four...it took his breath away!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.