Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are currently looking for a new house, and I have looked at a few ranging from very shabby to very nice.

My concern is that with five kids home all day, or at least home a lot more than they would be if they were in school, it probably would be a waste to buy a "museum quality" house, because even if I turn into mommy dearest to protect the wallpaper, they will destroy a fair bit of everything.

So I'm wondering if it might be more prudent to buy a somewhat run-down house? Because I think life would be better for all of us if I weren't always on the edge of my seat to keep them from drawing on the walls.

Another thought I had was buying 2 family house, and converting the second kitchen into a science lab.

Also I am trying to find a house with a large yard (rare in this area) so that they can have pets and room to roam.

Did you consider homeschooling when buying a house? What factors were part of your decision?

And, of course, I don't have to worry too much about the school district
. Which gives us more leeway. I've found that houses zoned for a bad school are considerably cheaper, even if they are in a nice neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
It will whenever we are able to move.

Our next house must have a room designated as an office. That way we can put our computers and school stuff in it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes, but...

It *did* factor into our choice BUT I would do it very differently if I could do it again.

I wasn't even pregnant when we bought our house, but we were planning on trying soon and we already knew that we were going to homeschool. I wanted a secluded piece of land in the country. I didn't want a pack of traditionally schooled kids interfering with our HS schedule (wanting our kids available to play when they got off of the bus and during school breaks, etc.) I was afraid that constant daily influence from traditionally schooled kids would sour MY kids on the whole homeschool experience.

We ended up buying a place on 2.5 acres in the mountains about 45 minutes from "town" The property is steep and wooded. NOT very fun to play outside (God forbid you try to play ball, unless you LIKE running downhill and hiking back up each time you miss it
) Since I had no experience with actually homeschooling, I was thinking "we'll stay at HOME" in actuality, there are many awesome opportunities for HSers in "town" but we have to tack on at least 1.5 hours travel time and with gas prices so high we miss a lot of things that we would otherwise have taken advantage of. I *do* like the fact that you can't see the road from our house so my kids don't have their little faces smushed up against the window watching the kids get on/off of the school bus.

If I had it to do over again, I would have chosen a place closer to our town, I would have made sure that we had a nice flat yard to play in and I would have made sure that we had an extra room for school.

When we bought our house, there were no children in the whole cove. 3 months after we moved in, the couple next door was pregnant. I really don't like kids just showing up at the door wanting to play (I like to schedule playdates) but turns out that they are really awesome neighbors! They too like to plan playdates so we get along well there. I no longer fear the influence of traditionally schooled kids
so we are cool that the next door neighbors are TSed.

sorry if this is a bit disjointed-carrying on a conversation with a 6 year old while typing

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Have you ever read "The Not so big house"? It was written for people who are building a home, but she has interesting thoughts about how to figure out what you really need. We moved recently, and homeschooling affected our home choice some. We are in a neighborhood full of kids and a block from the Y. If I had to do it over again, I might buy a smaller/cheaper house so we could save our money for other things.

Good luck with your house search!

ZM

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
The house wasn't as big an issue as the yard is. We came from a wooded acre to a city lot and I didn't think it was that big of a deal at first. But now 2 yrs later and my 7 yr old STILL misses our old yard (no mention of the house
) We had so much more nature to explore in that relatively small wooded area and the imagination could run wild with adventures.
This yard has no trees, very little nature to explore, and the kids really don't enjoy it that much.
Now on the flip side we have an ocean beach just 2 miles away and it's only an hour for a mountain hike. And before we had none of that.
But I have to admit I think the yard would be the priority for me since it's always available.
Ann

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Yes, but not in the way you're mentioning. I am not afraid of kids peeling wallpaper or anything. But space is nice, or a good lay out of space is nice. Easy access to outside, a mudroom for dirtly boots and holding area for messy treasures from nature. Maybe a place for a garden if that is possible. Access to water outside (although the needs for a city family are going to be quite different obvioulsy), space for a tree house or other structure. Safe street access, maybe able to walk to a library or coffee shop. Enough room to invite oither hsers over for occasional events. A home you feel comfortable spending time in, and having others over to. A good sized kitchen is always a plus with muliple, creative children.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Yes, space is my biggest priority. If we ever move or build, that is my wish. I know the huge mcmansion houses are unpopular, and believe me, I don't want to live in a subdivision full of them, but I would choose big rooms and lots of them before I'd choose any other feature.

We are living here all day, and the bigger kids get the more space they take up, in lots of ways other than just body size.

We are very lucky to have a huge back yard and the boys love it. Their dream is for our yard to back up into some woods.

·
Registered
832 Posts
It will when we move, like you said we won't have to worry about school district and some of them have high taxes too, so we'll probably end up in the country.... I'd like a place with lots of room for them to run outside. And a living room and a family room that are not near each other for more space. Yup, I'm dreaming in advance.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
we may or may not be buying soon and it will definitely figure into our dream home.

since we are all home all the time we want two bathrooms.

we also want a room dedicated to school stuff. not for doing school in but for stashing all our school stuff. somewhere to keep eevrything well organized. and perhaps a craft table.

cupboards, shelving and closets. yeah baby.

not too big.

and a good sized yard.

room for the piano.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Yes. We designed our house ourselves and homeschooling days were our main plan. I wanted the office area open and near the kitchen and laundry area so I could go about daily business while keeping everybody in sight.

I do get a little concerned about our new home taking dings from the DC, but I figure they have to have respect and keep things nice. Even if we lived in an older place, we still wouldn't allow them to destroy things. Our old house was very old and more prone to damage than our brand new house.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We just bought a house at the first of the year. Yes, homschooling did play a major part in the decision. I knew I wanted a room that I could dedicate to the kids and school items. That could preferably be shut off, if company came and it was a mess! LOL I really wanted a big yard, when its nice out I want the kids outside as much as possible. I also wanted a big porch, for kids to play on when the weather wasn't cooperating. I did actually consider the school district also, not that I plan on sending them. But if for some reason down the road we have to, at least I know its a better school district.
We thankfully did get a wonderful home priced within our budget(read dirt cheap)!
It took us a month just to get it livable! But, we are thrilled with it. My only complaint is a small bathroom. But the 1 acre flat backyard and woods and wetlands surrounding it make up for the small bathroom!!

·
Registered
11,576 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyka
not too big.

Same here! We used to have a big house it was impossibleto keep it tidy and things just disappeared. I like my smaller house with good closet space
There is plenty of space to put things away, and we have to clean up one mess before making a new one. In the big house, the kids could just go to a different area of the house a make a whole new mess.

Being walking distance to a play ground is more important to me than a big yard because my kids really like all the equipment. We have enough of a yard so the kids and dogs can go out and run a round, but not so big that taking care of it takes much time, and a nice play ground 2 blocks away.

Our experience has been that the bigger the house and the yard, the more of our time they take to maintain. There is a nice happy medium -- with enough space for your family but not too much space. It is also less expensive. Not only are the payments less, but the utilities are less, maintenance is less, decorating cost less (because you are buying less carpet and smaller drapes).

We used to have a homeschool room for all the stuff, but it was always a mess. Our current home has a large formal dinning room and as we aren't formal people, it makes the perfect place to have a large work table for projects and a computer area. I like that it is in the central area in my home and open to both the kitchen and living room. I really like having a table where things can be left for a while. My kids have been playing the same Risk game off and on all week. I'm glad I don't have to tell them to put it away so we can eat!

Our craft supplies, math manipulatives, hands on science stuff, etc. are neatly stored in canvas storage bins in a closet with floor to ceiling shelves.

Our house is neither a museum nor is it run down. The carpets and walls are durable and clean up well. I really wouldn't put up with my kids tearing things up, but I do expect them to get thing dirty and then help clean up.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PancakeGoddess
Yes, space is my biggest priority. If we ever move or build, that is my wish. I know the huge mcmansion houses are unpopular, and believe me, I don't want to live in a subdivision full of them, but I would choose big rooms and lots of them before I'd choose any other feature.

We are living here all day, and the bigger kids get the more space they take up, in lots of ways other than just body size.

We are very lucky to have a huge back yard and the boys love it. Their dream is for our yard to back up into some woods.
Isn't that funny? I hate McMansions-- more I hate what they do to towns and open spaces. But yeah, some days, when the art structures are huge, and the marble runs are overtaking the family area, when I trip over the dogs, or step on the cat's tail when I am doing laundry, I long for even more space. Not for stuff, but for the teeming life that expands everyday. One day there are toddler feet and little tiny Robeez on the coffee table, then soon there are size 11 tennis shoes (mostly smelly) all over the foyer from the teens friends who took off their shoes on their way to the hot tub.

Its amazing how growing people take up *space*.

Sometimes I just want 3500 square feet.
: Or more, even.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
We're trying to figure out what to do next in this arena. Right now we are in town which means easy (walking) access to library, parks, pools, play areas, etc. but we also have no yard. The house itself is pretty much the perfect size. So we're trying to weigh having a bigger yard vs. walking access to stuff. Our 1 yo wants to be outside from the minute he gets up in the morning and its a lot of hassle to go outside where we are now. As a I lean away from desk learning for the early years, I'm really wishing we had more outdoor space for hands on learning.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UUMom
Not for stuff, but for the teeming life that expands everyday. One day there are toddler feet and little tiny Robeez on the coffee table, then soon there are size 11 tennis shoes (mostly smelly) all over the foyer from the teens friends who took off their shoes on their way to the hot tub.
oh lord, for sure not the STUFF, but the space. aahhhhh

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Our next house will definitely take homeschooling into consideration. We have thought of leaving the area we live in, and homeschool definitely played a huge role in that! If we just move 90 minutes away, we would live in an area with tons of homeschool groups, and even local centers that have discounts for homeschooled students. That is unheard of here.

I would buy a nice home, I dont have the money for a mueseum home, but I would buy within our range, a nice home that we could call ours. It would have a nice sized dining room, great kitchen, and definitely an office area too. Id like to live on a farm, and have bring our horse to our own property, and expand a bit there too.

I wouldn't buy a run down home because Id be afraid my kids would destroy it, my kids have respect for their home, and we plan to keep it that way.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sierratahoe

I do get a little concerned about our new home taking dings from the DC, but I figure they have to have respect and keep things nice. Even if we lived in an older place, we still wouldn't allow them to destroy things. Our old house was very old and more prone to damage than our brand new house.
I forgot to comment on this. I would never buy a huse that was a "trasher" just because I was scared my kids would wreck it. regardless of how bad it was when we moved in I would never alow my children to pull down wallpaper (unless they were helping with the renovations) write on th walls or dig holes in the carpet. this just sets up a pettern that these thinsg need not be respected. regardless of what our house looked like when we moved in they would be expected to treat it with the upmost respect and care. and if I was worried about thier actions we would adrerss it until they realy understood what was and was not acceptable.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I wouldn't prefer to be in a run-down place if that was where I spent most of my time. I'm in a very run-down place at the moment, and it really brings me down. Sometimes I remember that we bought this place so we can afford for me to be at home with DD, but mostly I hate the current place. It's dark, depressing, and there are always 100 things that need fixing.

We are getting ready to build a house, and I've had homeschooling on my mind as I've sketched out the plans. It won't be "museum-quality" but it will be as functional as I can make it. And we are trying to get as much sunshine as we can into the main activity rooms.

Our lot is in the city, and small compared to what people generally go for, which is one of the reasons it's still open for us to build on. The other reason is the huge rock at the back of the lot. We are inspired by the Not so Big books, by Frank Lloyd Wright, and by Japanese house design principles.

I want the house to have some serious dedicated storage space. Lots of cabinets, lots of bookcases, lots of closets. Multiple storage closets in the basement. A real laundry room with space for processing clothes.

I don't mind that we'll have a small yard. There is a large park with a zoo at the end of the street, so we have access to lots of green space, but we don't have to personally maintain it.

It's not in a good school district, but there are some charter schools around that we might send DD to when she is older, if there is one she would like to try.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PancakeGoddess
oh lord, for sure not the STUFF, but the space. aahhhhh
But have you noticed - the stuff expands to fit the space!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.