Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, we just rescued an English bull terrier from a home where he was obviously adored, but where the couple is getting divorced. He is nine months old, nuetered, chipped, raised with cats and toddlers and seems really, really sweet. My kids love him, my dog is tolerating him better than expected and has even shown an interest in playing with him (when he's not being jealous) and the cats are (as expected) ticked off. We had considered getting a mini-bully as a fun family kid type dog a few years ago, but the timing was wrong. He's crate trained and house-trained too. Sounds great right?
Well I suspect that this dog is the product of a puppy mill. We were told that he was the product of a bully breeder of long standing who specializes in bullies. He was flown from kansas to his owners in denver so they never met the breeder and I think the original owners were conned. I don't think that they would recognize the signs of a puppy mill. When we picked him up and I went through his very sparse paperwork I have come to believe that he is a mill dog.
A friend in rescue reminds me that mill dogs need rescue too, but I am worried about future health or temperament problems. For now my vet has pronounced him sound and his temperament seems wonderful. Would you keep him? The couple only has a house for one more week so I doubt they would take him back, he would have to go to rescue. I don't want to do that, I'm really in love with him. Would you guys give him a chance?

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
I would keep him. Whether he is a mill dog or not, he deserves a good life. I think I would also have him checked for hip & shoulder dysplasia if he hasn't been already, since that's a concern with products of puppy mills.

Can you track down the breeders and maybe find as much info on him as you can? Is there a website anywhere with a list of suspected puppy mills? If you do suspect the breeders are a puppy mill maybe you could contact the ASPCA in that area and voice your concerns? At least they could look into it.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I would certainly keep him. Somebody needs to step up and take him in, it might as well be you.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
If you want to confirm, PM me the kennel names in his pedigree--or if you have a scanned or photographed copy of his pedigree you can show that to me as well. My vet is a very very good Bull Terrier breeder and I could ask her about the pedigree the next time I go.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
I would keep him. Whether he is a mill dog or not, he deserves a good life. I think I would also have him checked for hip & shoulder dysplasia if he hasn't been already, since that's a concern with products of puppy mills.

Can you track down the breeders and maybe find as much info on him as you can? Is there a website anywhere with a list of suspected puppy mills? If you do suspect the breeders are a puppy mill maybe you could contact the ASPCA in that area and voice your concerns? At least they could look into it.
I agree, I'd keep him, also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.