Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a momma looking to re-home some dipes. I was looking for a few large Fuzzibunz for my 3y/o who still wets some nights. She had some, but this is what I cam home with.<br><br>
5-lg Fuzzibunz, old style<br>
4-BG 2.0s that need elastic and velcro<br>
2-Wonderworks pockets, 1 in great shape, one needs elastic<br>
I got inserts for all of them, mostly microfiber, but she included 4 Hemparoos as well.<br>
When I mentioned I was also working on a stash for my expectant sister, she threw in 2 ImseVimse covers, a Swaddlebees fitted (I think organic velour), and a Sweet Cheeks Fleece cover.<br>
She was very upfront that this stuff had been put away for a few years and she wasn't sure how it would perform. She asked for a "love offering" of what I could pay. I gave her $30, but she said she would take less if that was too much.<br>
Honestly, most of the pockets are pretty tired. All but two repelled when I poured water on them. I have replaced velcro before, but never elastic. I reclaimed some BG's in the past that I used rash cream on, but it took a lot of time. I think I can get these usable for me or my sister, with some effort.<br>
I thought I was getting a deal, now it seems like a lot of work. I guess I am just looking for some encouragement!

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
There is a tutorial on diaperswappers on how to replace elastic "the easy way". I'll find it for you.<br><br>
Also, pouring water isn't a really accurate test of repelling- it could repel that way, but not when it's actually on the baby. I'd do a strip first. Then you could maybe test by using a nasal aspirator (is that right?) to shoot water at it. That will give you a better idea if they'll work. But definitely try them before you write them off!

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Sorry it took me so long!<br>
Here's the <a href="http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212544&page=7" target="_blank">thread on replacing FB elastic</a>. There are pictures in post 124, I believe.<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I found the thread last night, but did not find the pictures. I saw another way to do the elastic that involved a lot of time with a seam ripper, and that doesn't sound like fun to me.<br>
Now that I have washed and dried everything and stripped the pockets with Dawn, I'm ready to get sewing. After everything went through the dryer, It became clear that a few years in storage was not good for these dipes as I need to repair the elastic in all but 2.<br>
Maybe the repair with removing the seam will look more professional, but I'm all about function, especially on some old dipes that I paid so little for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts