Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Now my ds loves fire and fireworks, always has, but he would have been freaked out by the noise and surprise of firecrackers being lit nearby. And you are one smart cookie to not give little ones sparklers! They don't understand the reach of them (how many little kids misjudge sticks they are holding and bump someone?) Although I think those popit things are pretty harmless (I've snapped them between my fingers, there is no heat at all), in that context of surprise, sparklers, and firecrackers, I'd expect a young child to be leary of them.

Your 6 yo is probably about old enough to handle sparklers under supervision, assuming he has reasonable impulse control. But then you have the situation of a bunch of younger siblings that aren't ready for that. You don't want them all crowding around or let the big kids do it but not the little ones. That's awkward in a big family.

I don't like firecrackers. There is something about them (the small size, I think) that lends themselves to people lighting them while holding them and then blowing their fingers off if they don't drop them. I also don't like anything that can be a projectile like bottle rockets. They can fall over or get knocked down and go sideways into the crowd. People also like to hold them and light them, shooting them out of their hands. Then there are things that spin around on the ground shooting sparks. But if they hit a bump they can go into a crowd, too. I like the fountains, things shaped like canisters that stay in one place and shoot up sparks. And since I just have one child, I have always been able to supervise him very closely. I don't like doing fireworks when there are younger kids around.

So, coming from a mother of a fireworks loving kid, I think you are being very reasonable!

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
sounds like you have one of those families that's "into" that kind of stuff. too bad. in my family no one will light firecrackers during the day. there is one contingent of my family that will do them at night, but we will be long gone.

as for the trampoline, i do let my kids on, but only when we are right there watching and making sure it's only with similar aged kids (i.e., no bigger kids, even a few years or at all rowdy makes a difference for littles and gentle ones).

and as for any criticism, so what if you are making your kids "cautious." believe me, i'm cautious, but my oldest is so NOT cautious, i would hope some of my slow-it-down-and-be-careful mentality will rub off on her.

if family members are criticizing you, let it roll off your back.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Yeah, you probably did, but it doesn't seem like that's a real problem for you or your kids at this point. Plus, they are still babies-- I wouldn't let any but the 6 yr. old (maybe) around fireworks and I'm not scared of them.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Nope. Your kids will still grow up to be crazy teenagers that do crazy things sometimes.

I will say though, my ex has DS this year for July 4th, and I told him that if there were fireworks (at like a backyard bbq, not a professional show that you watch from a long way away) he was to watch them inside with DS. He agreed COMPLETELY, and said that Lincoln wouldn't be even close to any fireworks this weekend. Honestly, I think thats good parenting, whether its driven by fear or something else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.