Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So -- the other day I posted that I was about to trash my whole stash for fear that some of it was the cause of my daughter's reoccurring yeast rash.

So -- I turned several IPFs into rags, that were inturn used to clean our bamboo floor...AND what's worse is that my hsband used the WRONG stuff on the floors (used a natural floor soap, that is meant for marble and tile in the bath and kitchen). ANYHOW, the dipes reak of that natural soap crap. BUT NOW, thanks to you'alls advice, I've had a change of heart about tossing my dipes (I now believe her nightime fb's are the rash culprit) --- and would like to KEEP my IPFs. Do you think I can strip all the crappy soap and dust and natural orange oil product out the the ones DH used to wash the floor (it's not liek we use pinesol or anything bad, but still, blech!)? Or is that idiotic -- and I should just buy another dozen dipes?

Advice?

·
Registered
961 Posts
The oil would probably be hard to get out. If it was me and I had the $$, I'd buy a new bundle of dipes.

(If you do try to salvage them, maybe dishsoap would get the oils out?)

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I've done that retired some prefolds and used them with some murphy oil soap then decided I wanted them back... My advice buy new ones

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Well, I think you can strip them as I stripped my TBO colorgrowns of their natural oils. BUT!!! It took me about 2 weeks to get the oils out!!! I would just buy new...they are cheep enough.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I am taking your advice -- and retiring those dipes. I think I still have enough in my stash to not need to buy new IPFs for now.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Ohh anther thing... My DH is a musician and would constantly grab the good prefolds to use on his instruments including with slide/valve oils
: so I finialy took a few of the onesI didn't care for as much (european prefolds not my favorite and some older CPF and washed then with a bit of RIT dye so we could easily tell the "oil" rags from the good diapers.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
I'd wash them with some grease-fighting dish soap before totally retiring them. Give them a good soaking in HOT water and Dawn or Palmolive or something like that, a hot rinse and see if that gets the oil out. If it does - you've saved your diapers, if not - you haven't wasted much time or resources in trying to save them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts