Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I want to thank everyone here. I have just kinda been lurking here a bit, and just for maybe like 2 weeks. But, I did my first skimming, I can't say I declutter, cuz I still have clutter. I started in the bedrooms, moved to the bathroom, then did the kitchen and living areas. Just took what obviously wasn't being used. We dropped off 3 big garbage bags and one big box to goodwill today. I also freecycled a trunk, gave a friend a huge desk and another friend a twin bed. Who knows how much garbage, and all those old plastic yogurt, sour cream, and everything else containers, recycled. I held onto every single one. Even though I have perfectly good glass ones
I feel like I have lost weight, though I am serverly gaining weight, pregnant
My husband is estatic, especially after seeing the kitchen. I have it now where my daughter can reach everything she needs to set the table, we have 4 plates, cups and bowls in a drawer for her. After each meal they all get washed and put away. Now, it has only been 2 days that we have been doing this, but so far so good. We getting the kids getting in the habit of clearing the table and putting their dishes in the sink. Which one day will be clear off your dishes, clean them and put them away.
It is addicting. If it wasn't for the fact that I have been neglecting halloween costumes, i would be doing more, but I have to get those done by a certain time, but will be starting up again on Wednesday
:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Good for you! Feels great huh?

I found I decluttered in layers - I did my initial skim and then gradually went back to drawers or boxes that I had initially thought were fine and scaled them down. I find, a month later that I'm still finding little pockets of areas that I can work on. I'll also redo a previous decluttered area and skim it down even though I was happy with what I had originally achieved.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I am hoping to get a good bit more done before the baby comes, and to get into some habits. I might be able to keep a hold of things then. But if we have less stuff than there is less to try to clean up. It was not so great for awhile. I had been decluttering and putting everything in our hallway, so as not to put it in a closet and forget about it. I didn't have a car all last week, and the box I couldn't even carry. So I had to wait until my husband could help me load the car up. We did all of it Sunday. But now, because I had that pile in my hallway for 5 days, everytime I walk past I feel freer. Bt i have two small boxes of kitchen stuff that my husband doesn't want to get rid of. i told him we willkeep it in the boxes for a few months and if we didn't need to go through them they go. I had/have like 12 glass mixing bowls. Partly because I got the glass ones, and then found glass bowls with lids that I could also use for storage. I kept all the storage ones, and put away the ones I didn't think I would need. he is freaking over that thinking I am going to ask to buy more. But hopefully we won't need to go through those boxes anytime soon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.