Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've collected a few small nb fitteds (bbh, bitty buns, mutt) and they seem so impossibly small. A few people have seen them and said that there is no way their babies would have ever fit in them. Did newborn fitteds work on your babe, or were they a waste of money? Should I stop now (even though they are so incredibly adorable)? My dd was a long, thin 8lbs 8oz - and it seems to me she wore NB sposies for a decent amount of time - but do they compare?

Jeanette

·
Registered
823 Posts
My newborn kissaluvs fitted diapers fit my newborn really well and she is still in them at about 14 pounds. She was 8 lbs 14 ounces at birth, so almost nine pounds and now is 6 weeks and 5 days old.

Her body shape is really chubby thighs with a small waist. I can see her wearing them for a bit longer seeing as she isn't quite on the largest size snap setting just yet. I luv em, they were worth it in my opinion and fit much better than the newborn sposie diapers that a friend gave me. I don't even bother using those(sposies) up not for nighttime or anything, they always leak and are getting too tight.

The kissaluvs brand says they work for 7 to 15 pounds but for my baby I see them working past 15 pounds, I don't know how much past but time will tell.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
I've have heard NOTHING but great things about Itty Bitty Buns fitting newborns... unless they're really big newborns 9+ lbs. In other threads people have posted that the NB fitteds don't fit the little while of life. But, then quickly the baby grows into them. I plan on having a couple Itty Bitty Buns so I actually have a fitted that works under my SWEET The Cushie Tushie by Marnie longies. They're true newborn size, but the NB fitteds I have look gigantic under them. The Itty Bitty Buns are true newborn size.

Oh, and a 12 pk of preemie PFs never hurt anyone, especially for $10 at www.babiesinthesun.com

·
Registered
281 Posts
I didn't buy any newborn fitteds for my now 8 month old, but we knew he was going to be really big. He ended up being 11#4 at birth, so I was glad I'd just gone with bigger diapers. I did get some preemie prefolds just in case, and there was NO way those were going around him! I tried my niece's kissaluvs sz 0 on him and they did fit him...probably still would actually, as he dropped way off in weight from birth to 6 mos. I had a few small sugarplumbaby fitteds & they fit him GREAT from the start.

He wasn't your typical newborn though, so feel free to disregard my input

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Never cded a newborn so can't comment on that, but do your friends remember how small newborn spossies are? I remember the first time I opened a package of those I couldn't believe how small they were. I'm sure your dipes will be great and fit wonderfully.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Oh, I thought the same thing. It's amazing. They really do fit. I got good use out of mine. My babe was 6 1/2 pounds. Especially the Kissaluvs. I think she wore them for 3 months and then I sold them for a good price. It's very frustrating using smalls that are too big on their skinny newborn legs or too big in general. Itty bitty prefolds are very cost effective too if you don't want to invest in that many fitteds.
Oops, Claire just said this. But I agree.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eman'smom
Never cded a newborn so can't comment on that, but do your friends remember how small newborn spossies are? I remember the first time I opened a package of those I couldn't believe how small they were. I'm sure your dipes will be great and fit wonderfully.
No newborn CD experience here either, but that's what I was going to say too--when you look at any newborn clothes or sposies it is hard to believe they will ever fit because they look so tiny... but then they usually end up seeming big for that first week!

I think 9 lbs is about the weight where most newborn things really begin to fit. Of the diapers you mentioned, I have heard the bitty buns being called a "true" newborn size--that is, fitting babes of 6-7 pounds. So if you have a 9 pounder they might outgrow it quickly. But from the threads I've read the newborn mutts, cuddlebuns, kissaluvs, loveybums, etc. will all fit until 12 or 15 pounds depending on shape!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks mamas - always good to hear I have not wasted my money! Bella didn't hit 15 lbs until around six months - although I'm not sure the rise in the newborns would work that long. The NB Mutt looks to have a slightly higher rise than the others, but I have not really laid it out to compare.

Right now I have about three doz infant prefolds - and about a doz that were cut in half by a friend who had a REALLY tiny baby. Didn't think of buying preemie prefolds - wonder if I should?

I think I have about a doz newborn fitteds now - trying to decide if I should buy more (and if so - which ones). I was originally going to go cheap and use just prefolds - but I got caught up in the cuteness frenzy, and was easily able to justify it to myself because I liked fitteds so much last time

They still seem SO small...how is it I'm going to be responsible for something that tiny? It is slightly overwhelming to think of it! Oy - now that is another thread for another board

Jeanette

·
Registered
978 Posts
I used cloth from day one on my 7lb 4 oz dd. Her diapers were sooo tiny.
And now she is 2 mo old, 12lbs, and this week she has grown out of most her nb diapers, except her kissaluvs 0's and nb cb's.

I would defenitly go with nb diapers again. In fact we have pretty much skipped the small size in most diapers and have gone straight to mediums.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kaelyn...nner/my_photos

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Mine was 8lb 11 oz and a little on the chunky size. Most of the nb dipes never fit, or fit for less than a week. Kissaluv 0s are an exception. Then, zoom, all the smalls were too small too, in about a month. If I could do it again, I'd get a about 6 cute nb/small dipes, and use infant PFs for the short time until mediums work. I have allll these adorable dipes sitting in the attic, hardly used.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now look what ya'll have done - I just went and bought eight more nb dipes. Darn you. If my hubby gets mad I'm sending him after you all - telling him it is your fault for encouraging me

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
We didn't start cd with Lauren ubtil she was almost 2 months old. If we have another baby, I'd def. buy some nb dipes. Lauren could fit in nb sizes until about 3.5 months. I honestly think nb fitteds would have been to big though, since premie (nit just nb) dipes were a tad big. She's didn't grow into nb until she was sbout a month old.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts