Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We co-sleep with 9.5 mo old DD in a sidecarred crib. I love, love, love co-sleeping--those moments when she pops off the boob, snuggles into the crook of my arm, and we sleep forehead to forehead are priceless to me. So know that by even asking, it's indicative that we're reaching the breaking point. I'm
, I WOHM full-time, and I'm starting to lose it.

DD goes to sleep in one of two ways: by nursing or by being driven in the car. DH is the SAHP and ALL naps are driving naps and have been since about July, when we hit the developmental milestone expressway
. I nurse her down to sleep in the sidecarred crib, which works 90% of the time. But lately, she is waking up so frequently overnight... it's like she needs to be on the boob the entire night long. When she pops off after ~45 minutes or so, I put her back in the sidecarred crib. And she's usually awake again within 15-30 minutes. And FREAKING out for more boob, I think b/c she knows it's the only thing that works for getting her back to sleep. If I give her to DH, she flips out and goes nuts looking around for me.

She sleeps her longest stretch of the night before we go up to bed. I'm convinced she's waking up more b/c we're so close (last night, I stretched while lying next to her and she woke up). I'm getting to the point where I'd like to try putting her in a crib in our room, or maybe even in "her" room (ie, the room where all the outgrown baby clothes live in huge disorganized piles
), but as soon as I think it I get sad feeling like I'll miss her, and worrying that she's never ever been out of our room, never been alone overnight. Then, the practical side kicks in too--if she continues to be up all night, it's certainly easier to have her sidecarred!

Dr. Sears says if you resent it, change it. She's 9.5 months old, I know there's all kinds of developmental stuff going on, and she's always been a reverse cycler since I've been back at work, and sleep has always been crappy, but I could handle it--until
. Now I'm just worn out. I'm sure she's also nursing more to build up my milk supply (which is rebounding, thanks to that and also More Milk Two, which I highly recommend to mamas!). Knowing all the possible "whys" for our crap sleep isn't helping anymore.
:

I'd love to hear from mamas who stopped co-sleeping (or tried to stop and went back to it)--did it help? Did it make it worse? I'm just at the end of my rope here.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Both of mine have hit horrible sleep stages between 9 and 10 months. When I was cosleeping w/ my 2nd from that age til I changed things, she was waking up every 20 minutes. I'm not exaggerating. She in her crib in my room now and up every 2 hours or so instead, which is better. If I could have her in her own room I think she'd sleep even better-her longest stretch of sleep is from 7:30 til my going to bed wakes her up
We don't have another room though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
when I started to make the to-crib transition, and the first night, DS wouldn't go in the crib w/o waking and crying, and there my husband was, snoring, cozy in bed, and I was in the rocker, rocking away, I ditched the idea of not co-sleeping. I just didn't want to fight that battle--I wanted to SLEEP! And, I was getting more nursing all night next to my frequent waker than i was going to in the rocking chair! LOL. I didn't try that hard, though. Maybe it would have gotten better, but I was too tired to find out! We're still co-sleeping and it's all good. I had DH take over the wakings after DS goes to bed but before I go to bed, and that's been a lifesaver.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Since DS refused to sleep without being on me... yes. Otherwise I never would have gotten sleep.
DH could have slept through anything, so for him... I don't think it affected things much. I think the way it MOST improved our sleep is that it "trained" (I hate that word) DS to know that sleep is not bad, and sleeping through the night is possible and preferable. It's made him comfortable with the idea of sleep, even though he technically doesn't sleep in our bed right now.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
We have tried every variation of co sleeping /crib/bed that there is with both kids. Currently, ds 2 sleeps with dh and I sleep on a mattress in ds 1's room! Just try different stuff and don't get hung up on labels. You can always go back to anything. We have changed many times.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Over a period of time, ds stopped co-sleeping with us. He is now 17 mo and only comes to our family bed one out of every 10 nights, and those tend to be nights that he is not feeling well, teething, or upset by something.

I had always put him in his crib for the first stretch of sleep after he nightweaned (which he did very early - around 6 mos). I would bring him to bed at his first nightwaking. By the time he was about 11 mos he was sttn about 75% of the time in his own crib.

Not cosleeping helps my dh sleep. I enjoy cosleeping so whenever my ds needs it, I give it. I imagine ds must be sleeping well in his crib, or he'd be back in bed with us, lol!

Be flexible, as much as you can be. As pp said, you can change your situation as it's needed.

It sounds to me like you may need to help her go to sleep without nursing or driving. That will probably be a more difficult transition than stopping cosleeping, imo.

Good luck and good sleep!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Oh - I wanted to mention that it did help me with sleep - it was refreshing to wake up one morning and realize I had slept all night! Though the first thing I did was rush in to check on ds!

I wohm full-time, too, btw. I definitely empathize with you!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
We found that DS sleeps best in his own crib in his own room. I was torn at first, sad that he was so restless and fussy when he slept with me and relieved that I could actually sleep without CONSTANT nursing and tossing and turning all night long. DD always slept so soundly in our bed, so I was surprised when he didn't.

He slept in a pack n play in our room for a few months starting at about 6 months, going back and forth from our bed to his with us just trying to follow his lead. He would generally start off sleeping in his own bed and would come into our bed once I went to sleep (we joke that he can smell me when I walk into the room
). Since he's had his own room he sleeps through the night!

If he wakes up in the middle of the night he comes into our bed with us, but he normally sleeps through the night now at 13.5 months. I love our mornings when he comes into our bed and nurses, sometimes drifting off for another hour or so.

I think that he just needed his own space to sleep better at night. As a result we are all more restful and happy. I hope you figure out something that works for all of you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.