Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Well, I am a brand new mommy to my little Fiona. She was born on Saturday morning, and we're attempting to breast feed.

She does pretty well on the right boob. But, my left one seems broken. I cannot express anything out of it, where as with the right, pretty much as soon as I touch it, colostrum comes out.

A few years back, I had 2 large lumps removed from my left breast. Could this be the cause? One lump was very close to my nipple, in fact the scar is over the areola. I don't remember anything about the surgery in regards to producing milk (It was almost 8 years ago, and I was the "I am never having a kid" person then).

Any advice would be super helpful! Thanks so much.

· Registered
16,782 Posts
it could very well be that the surgery removed or blocked a milk duct. has the breast become engorged at all, or feel any different to the other one? (I'm assuming you can feel changes in the right breast since your milk started)
definitely try contacting the Dr who removed the lump and see if there's anything in your file that would explain it.
and keep trying, it might still come good.

· Registered
2,617 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
it could very well be that the surgery removed or blocked a milk duct. has the breast become engorged at all, or feel any different to the other one? (I'm assuming you can feel changes in the right breast since your milk started)
definitely try contacting the Dr who removed the lump and see if there's anything in your file that would explain it.
and keep trying, it might still come good.
: And even if you can't produce as much (or any) milk in that breast it's my understanding that you can successfully feed a baby with just one breast. I mean think of a mom with twins.

Hope you can figure out what's going on.

Congrats on you new little one
:

· Registered
16,782 Posts
burn that bridge, mama.
even with just one breast, you can BF just fine, and you *will* produce enough. boob-milk works on supply and demand. so the more your bubba nurses, the more milk you produce.

· Registered
7,683 Posts
Hang in there sista!

One boob is better than none. what if you pump on the left side while you feed on the right. And I would be talking to a doc soon!

Congrats on fiona!

· Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tomorrow I am going to speak to someone and try to get a pump. The hospital I was at actually does not rent them, so I couldn't get one there.

The left one feels no different then before pregnancy, and when she nurses on it, I can tell she is getting nothing. Things seem to work out ok on the right though.

I am hoping when my milk comes in, it will decide to work!

· Registered
704 Posts
Hi!

I agree with PP. Mamas of twins make enough milk for 2 babies with 2 boobs -- you can make plenty of milk for 1 baby with 1 boob. If you supplement *just in case* you will make less milk, and need to supplement. No supplement, and your body adjusts to your baby's needs.

Personally, I wouldn't entirely give up on the left side yet. The milk could be on its way, I don't know. Pumping could help, as PP mentioned. I had lumps removed on my left side in HS, and still made milk. It might just take more time/stimulation.

LLL or a lactation consultant in person could help! It's remotely possible it's just a latch issue, so it's worth having an expert evaluate.

Keep it up, NewTennMom!

· Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, tomorrow I will know more for sure. There is a lac consultant right at the WIC office here in town, and I have spoken with her before. So I am going to try to speak with her again tomorrow.

I am hoping I will wake up tomorrow in a pool of milk

· Registered
252 Posts
Congratulations on the birth of your little one. My suggestion is to just remember that it can take up to 5 or 6 days for the onset of mature milk. Trust me, you'll know when it's in. Plus, whether you can express milk by hand or not, isn't a good way to know if you have colostrum/milk in the breast. Today would be day 3 and honestly, even if the LC were to weigh the baby before and after a feed you might not notice any (or notice only very minimal change) weight gain. That's normal up until the full supply is expected to be in. Hang in there and remember to offer both breasts at each feed. You're doing great. Sue

· Registered
188 Posts
Just a quick note on one boob:

I nursed my first dd (also named Fiona!) for three years on 1 boob. I never had to supplement. It was just normal. My right breast had an 8cm abscess due to some bad mastitis, then there was surgery etc... it works now for dd2 and all is well. I just wanted to let you know that for me, 1 boob was more than enough for my very healthy rolley baby.

· Registered
860 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
: And even if you can't produce as much (or any) milk in that breast it's my understanding that you can successfully feed a baby with just one breast. I mean think of a mom with twins.

Hope you can figure out what's going on.

Congrats on you new little one
:
Amen to that. I nurse my girls and each girl gets one "girl" and gets enough milk!

· Registered
203 Posts
I had a very similar experience - breast surgery a few years ago and never a thought about the future effects on breast feeding. I have worked hard to build my supply. It's mostly the non-surgery breast that does the bulk of the work but the other hangs in there. i pumped a lot in the early days and saw an LC - that helped a lot. Goat's rue is a good supplement to develop breast tissuse for breastfeeding. I also always start my LO on the surgery breast (the appetizer) and then move him onto the entree. You may not have to work so hard and that other breast may just produce tons or it may take some diligence to get it going. Either way, you can do it!! Don't supplement. Give your own pumped milk as a supplement if necessary.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.