Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attended the birth of a friend recently where things did not go as smoothly as she planned. She was doing fine but stalled at 9cm for 2 hours and labor was slowing down considerably. Her midwife kept asking to break the bag of waters but my friend said no, and finally gave in after they said they would have to transfer her to the hospital since labor was slowing down so much. My friend did try walking, squatting, all that stuff first but labor got slower and slower.

When midwife broke the water finally, big chunks of meconium came out so they had to transfer her anyway. She wanted to know if it was necessary to break the bag of waters or not. She really wanted it to break spontaneously and felt pressured to have it broken by the midwife, because of the threat to transfer to the hospital from the birth center. I think it was part of their policy as far as stalled labor. The baby had a steady heartbeat throughout labor.

Then, after 2 hours of pushing a face up baby who crowned along with one of her hands, the 9 pound 14 oz. baby was finally born. My friend and her dh pleaded with them not to cut the cord right away, it was very important to them. But the midwife and the neonatologist both said it was necessary. The baby's cord was cut but the baby remained right on the delivery table for several minutes while they suctioned her, then they moved her to the warming table and finished suctioning her, then gave her to my friend finally. They gave her a clean bill of health. She wanted to know if it was necessary that they cut the cord right away since she is really regretting it.

Thanks!

Darshani
(who hopes to be certified as a doula someday)

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Lori, I will pass this onto her. Mostlly she's just very, very happy and in love with her baby. She's glad that no one ever pressured her to have the epidural, too.

Darshani

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.