Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My poor dh... so last night he had filet mignon, mushrooms sauteed in butter, corn on cob. (I meant to do a green salad, just didn't get to it, oops...) Then this morning he had eggs and 4 pieces of bacon (he feels he "needs" to eat up all the bacon I cook, lol.)

Anyway, he has had upset tummy and literally a stomach ache. Like he is queasy and his actual stomach hurts, he is very sore there. Does this sound like his body is having trouble digesting fats? Is this what Sally Fallon suggests Swedish Bitters, etc for?

And any ideas how to help him? I've been giving him probiotics and also gave him some GSE in case it is a bug of some kind, and not just food disagreeing with him.

Thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Maybe this is tmi, but anytime I eat anything too fatty I get diahrrea and that is that, so yes it could be the fatty food, some people just can't do it. It has to be something pretty intense and also it's usually when I just eat it really fast...it's kind of a good thing I guess...it keeps my diet more honest.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, we're not anti-fat really (just anti hydrogenated and industrial oils
), but it's my personal opinion that the bacon did him in, lol... four pieces is a lot I was surprised when he told me that was how many he ate!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Bacon does this to me too. I eat waaaaay more than 4 slices though
I can eggs and feel fine, but as soon as I eat a few slices of *oh-so-yummy* bacon, I tank. I spend the rest of the day with no energy and slightly nauseous.

You might want to try some apple cider vinegar in water too, if he isn't feeling better. Or some pickles.
Hope he feels better soon!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh cool, just dug up the ACV info on the WAPF site and was about to try to go convince him!
Now I can tell him someone suggested it... Thanks!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Peppermint might also help. It is supposed to stimulate bile production which will help with fat digestion. It is also soothing to the stomach! I like peppermint tea for tummy upsets but you can also buy capsules of the oil for a more concentrated effect.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
For me it wouldn't be the fat bothering me, but the corn on the cob. It always makes me cramp and gassy and just a total mess when I eat it. I avoid it as much as possible.

·
Registered
892 Posts
My dh can't handle nearly as much fat as I can. He just doesn't eat as much when I serve a fatty meal, though. Not sure what would happen to him if he DID. Maybe a tummy ache.

Has your dh pooped since? If it's very floaty and loose, it's probably from too much undigested fat. His gall bladder may just not be up to the task. Yet. Gall bladders can be trained.

For what it's worth, four pieces of bacon does not seem excessive to me. But I'm not able to eat eggs, soooo... bacon and toast or fruit is my most-frequent breakfast.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, he now tells me that he's felt something coming on for a week, lol...so I'm thinking the bacon was just the last straw. I guess we've been sharing a tummy bug in our house that has spanned a 2 week period and some of us *cough me* have recovered from it more easily- I just took a ton of probiotics and I was good to go. His diet is the worst of all of us (regularly eats fast food, chips, and soda along with the good stuff I feed him) and I think he's suffering more because of that...

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
I am sorry he's not feeling well.
Before reading your last post I was thinking that what you listed doesn't seem like an excessive amount of fat to me at all. But, I have been know to eat an entire package of turkey bacon in one sitting too.

I hope he's better soon!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Are you doing fermented foods? I'm not sure that the problem is with the fat, but maybe that he doesn't have enough stomach acid to properly digest the food. Fermentation helps with this. ACV will help, too.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm talking to him about the fermented stuff... I really need to think of how to get him to eat more, I think I need to start doing our own pickles and such. He actually ate a Bubbies pickle and tried my plain yogurt last night (shocked that it wasn't sweet, lol).

He is feeling better... I had him take a ton of probiotics yesterday, and also told him that he needs start taking some every day because I don't think his gut is so good (he frequently gets "tummy" issues, as does his mom, takes after her.) He is also getting sick more than he used to. So yes, I really think this is an area we need to work on... I think he's willing to! He sees that I am healthier and get over stuff more easily.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evie's Mama View Post
If he can throw down fast food it's hard to image that the fat in 4 pieces of bacon did anything to his stomach!

You would think, since most fast food tends be pretty fatty. In my own experience though, bacon does a number on me.
I eat fast food. I'm talking cheeseburgers/fries/ice cream/pizza. I rarely feel sick or lethargic afterwards like I do with bacon. I wish I knew why, its very odd.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My dh gets crippling indigestion and pains and cramps etc for up to 4 days sometimes.

The best thing is to give him kefir, raw almonds, and only eat veggies for one whole day, no meats, added sugars, or fats.

He was told by the tummy drs that fats, meats and sugars can sometimes get caught in your gut in the little notches and cause soreness and and nasty feeling as they are going bad. They release all kinds of funk inside you and that is what causes it. The fruit and veggies (mostly raw) will help to clean it out as his poop will gain more fiber and it will scrape through. The fats, sugars, and meats all get slightly slippery inside your intestines and cannot grab everything.

I went to college for holistic nutrition, and I must say, we generally don't get this problem very often anymore, even though we eat a mostly whole foods diet, including fats, and have recently added sugars to our diets, and eat PLENTY meat.

We added yogurt without HFCS to his lunches everyday, and at everymeal, he eats his veggies (and yogurt at kunch) before anything else, as they will digest first.

If you eat the meat first, then the veggies, the veggies will begin to break down and need to be passed, but you have meats and fats, sugars holding it up, as they take longer to break down. This can also cause alot of the same symptoms your hunny has.

He should be fine, even eating what he has been, as long as you make a few changes that aren't really that difficult. Add some type of probiotic to his diet. Kefir is the best, but yogurt will work, as long as the cultures are live and active and have no HFCS in them (this kills the cultures). Also, add a few fresh or frozen raw fruits to his meals. I do this with breakfast and lunch. Instruct him to eat them first.

He is lucky to have someone who cares so much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by neverdoingitagain View Post
You would think, since most fast food tends be pretty fatty. In my own experience though, bacon does a number on me.
I eat fast food. I'm talking cheeseburgers/fries/ice cream/pizza. I rarely feel sick or lethargic afterwards like I do with bacon. I wish I knew why, its very odd.
Pair your bacon with vitamin c. This can come from orange juice (no added sugar), or oranges, but there is even more in parsley and peppers.

The stomach can convert nitrites into chemicals known as nitrosamines, which are potentially carcinogenic. The consumption of plenty of vitamin C, however, can help prevent their formation.

This process could be what is making you feel so lethargic after consuming bacon when other fast food doesn't.

I hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
the corn on the cob would do it for me... me and corn have a love hate relationship.

about the fat - sounds like gallbladder issues to me.

that said, some people just don't do well on pork. it's an iffy meat in my opinion - some thrive on it, some get sick on it.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by asimplegirl View Post
Pair your bacon with vitamin c. This can come from orange juice (no added sugar), or oranges, but there is even more in parsley and peppers.

The stomach can convert nitrites into chemicals known as nitrosamines, which are potentially carcinogenic. The consumption of plenty of vitamin C, however, can help prevent their formation.

This process could be what is making you feel so lethargic after consuming bacon when other fast food doesn't.

I hope you figure it out.
oh good insight!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.