Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
My ex and I seperated when DS had just turned 3. DS was okay for a little while, but when he realized that things were actually going to stay this way, he became pretty aggressive, too, even with me. Also, nighttime was the worst. He was soooo difficult to get to sleep...sometimes I'd fall asleep before he would. I wish I had a magic answer to give you, mama. I really do.

The only thing I can say is just give him lots of love and try to remember that you're an adult and things are (I'm assuming) really stressful and difficult for you, even. Imagine what it must seem like to him. I know you realize all of this already, though.

I do think it probably is a good idea to take a break from playgroup for a little while. He can always go back when he's feeling up to it.

Just remember that things will calm down eventually. He will adjust, and he will most likely thrive and once again enjoy playing with other kids. Right now he probably just needs lots of reassurance and special times with his mama.

·
Registered
253 Posts
lynn_n.....

I'm glad to hear your son and his friend are playing better again. Yes, things have gotten better for my son. It took a while, though, and I also had to be diligent on keeping a steady bedtime routine. You know, everything done in the same order and all that. It really helped a lot....I don't know why I didn't think of telling you that earlier.

He's also being better since I met someone new and he's really warming up to him. Of course, my boyfriend and I took a really long time getting to know each other before we introduced our respective children to one another. You might not even want to think about that right now, but if/when the time comes for someone new in your life....it actually seems to be a good thing for the kids, rather than a new source of stress, just as long as the parents are responsible about it.

Edited to add that I realize that some blended families have a difficult time meshing, and at times this has nothing to do with how aware of the kids' feelings they were or how slowly they took things. Didn't want to offend anyone there.

Okay, sorry...I know you didn't ask for any of that advice.
Just know that I'm thinking of you and your son, and hoping that both of you have peace in your lives very soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.