Mothering Forum banner

Did your husband catch the baby?

1228 Views 37 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  2+twins
My DH is debating the "to catch or not to catch" the baby question. I think that he might if he saw that there was a real benefit (emotional or otherwise) to it.

So, just want to hear your experiences. Did your husband catch your baby? If so, how did he feel about it afterwards? How did you feel about it? Is it difficult to catch the baby, or is it hard to do it "wrong"?

Thanks!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
My dh didn't catch- he was behind me at the time. Our plan was to have him catch if he could and wanted to... lol. pretty loose plan. There's not really a wrong way- don't let the baby fall on the floor- ya know?

-Angela
I caught my own baby.
It was so, so empowering to pull her out and up onto my chest right away until the cord stopped pulsing. Every couple has their own preferances but I felt a strong need to catch her myself. It was the climax to a really hard pregnancy and lots of worries. I just needed to see her right away and be close to her and bond with her. Dh was happy to be right there next to me and hold her little hand (see my avatar pic) and hold her while I was getting cleaned up down there.
See less See more
I was in the pool and Dh was behind me out of the pool. I just needed him up there for the support while I was pushing. I think I would have felt abandoned if he had left me to catch the babies. However, before I was actually in labor I thought it sounded really cool. I guess just whatever feels right at the time.
i wanted him to, but he thought it was gross :-(. The midwife caught him, i was so exhausted that when he came out i just went limp and could barely move my arms.
My dp nearly caught himself a heart attack.
He spent the entire labours, when he was not cleaning the stove, on his hands and knees in the livng room praying.
yes, he's a wuss.
Quote:

Originally Posted by scatterbrainedmom
i wanted him to, but he thought it was gross :-(. The midwife caught him, i was so exhausted that when he came out i just went limp and could barely move my arms.
similar experience here. i think dd liked the IDEA of catching the baby but he was a bit overwhelmed by the whole experience (me & him both--ha!) i was hanging onto his shoulders and standing when i pushed my baby out so my midwife caught her behind me. i immediately turned to jelly and would have landed on everybody if my dh hadn't been holding me up!
Hubby was behind my head for my 1st homebirth. I had a bad tear that required 250 stitches after, so dh didn't want to be down there anyway. Midwife caught him. For my UC... I was on all fours and dh caught her.
I remember hearing him say "Oh Crystal... she is so beautiful". He kept holding her and I was still on all 4s and finally he was like.. "Oh yeah... lets get you sitting so you can have her" LOL

Crystal
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by faithhopelove
Hubby was behind my head for my 1st homebirth. I had a bad tear that required 250 stitches after, so dh didn't want to be down there anyway. Midwife caught him. For my UC... I was on all fours and dh caught her.
I remember hearing him say "Oh Crystal... she is so beautiful". He kept holding her and I was still on all 4s and finally he was like.. "Oh yeah... lets get you sitting so you can have her" LOL

Crystal
Ahhh. DH caught Daphne. His only regret is that he didnt catch the first one. His eyes still glisten with tears when he thinks about it.
See less See more
My DH caught (he always planned to, but our midwife didn't make it so he had no choice!). He LOVED it. He's so proud that his hands were the first to touch our dd. He's still high from it and she's 2! It's so nice to hear him talk about it.

He'll catch our next, too.
that was always the plan..but he KEPT missing! so the mattress caught #3, 4 and 5.
DH's first question when I said I wanted a home birth (the second time around) was, "Do I have to catch the baby?" He was terrified to do it -- he was never any good at catching footballs and didn't want to risk dropping the baby. He wound up watching my face as I pushed and that worked out nicely for all of us (the m/w caught Dan).
It never felt symbolically important to us to have him catch the baby, so we didn't plan to do it. With my third, I was kneeling when she came out, and it was so quick that neither of us got to catch! (I was on a soft foam pad though, so she had a soft landing.
) With my fourth birth, my husband was behind me while I was on hands and knees. When the baby came out he didn't catch her, really, just sort of put his hand under her head as she descended to the cushions beneath me. Then I sat back and picked her up.
See less See more
No, that was never something he was interested in.
Nope. Not with any of the 3 kids. He watched the whole thing and was amazed but I think he was nervous he'd drop the baby or something.
See less See more
DD (our first) was born at a birthing center and he was by my side holding my hand the whole time.

With Ds, our homebirth, Dh caught. We hadn't planned on it. It just sort of happened. The midwives offered and he agreed. They coached him the whole time. Ds was born in the caul, at full OP. It was really magical. I asked Dh once if that birth had special significance for him, he said that DD - being the first was his most special memory, but that he was so glad to be able to catch Ds. He was so proud. I could hear him the next morning on the phone calling all his friends - Dude! I caught the baby!
I have a wonderful picture of DH and my hands on DS as he is coming out and both of us "catching him" and bringing him up to my chest. It's my fav pic of the birth!
He wanted to, but it turned out I did because I needed him behind me holding me up by the armpits during the final stretch. It would have been difficult for him anyway because I was in a small birthing tub, and he faints at the sight of blood. But it sure was a wonderful experience for him to be such a pillar for me and as soon as I brought the babe up into my arms, he wrapped his hand around her small head, cried and didn't let go for a long time.
We didn't really say before the birth if we for sure wanted DH to do the catching, or cutting of the cord, or anything else involving the birth other than being there for me. As it turns out, he was with me while I pushed in the tub, and he was able to catch the baby. He loooooves telling everyone he can about how he delivered DD, but then I remind him that I did all the work, he merely caught her! That still is one of his proudest moments!
Like some pps, my DH never planned on catching DD, but the midwife didn't make it. I was on all fours too, like Crystal. And yes, there was some awkward manuvering afterward! LOL

I just asked him and he said he would do it again but he'd want a midwife there. He also said if he knew someone was considering catching his baby, he'd encourage him to do it. He said it's one of his fondest memories.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.