Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide whether to get a baby doll for my son. He has recently gotten interested in stuffed animals and will carry them around and snuggle them, and this morning he was very interested in a photograph of a doll in one of his I Spy board books. He has a Glow Worm he liked when he was younger, but it's sort of babyish for him now, I think. (He's 16mo.) I don't want to buy something he won't play with, though. He has way too many toys already!

Please share your experiences with boys and dolls!

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Yes, of course! He still, at 7, on occasion will play with DD's baby dolls (more than she does, probably). DH is a wonderful role model for him, showing him how to be loving and kind to his children and I think he has always seen it as completely normal to play taking care of babies. I think a baby doll is a MUST HAVE toy for EVERY child.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
We got DS (now 22months) his first baby for Yule last year, when he was 15 months. He has loved it ever since! We got him a soft Baby Bottoms doll, and Richard (the doll) goes everywhere with us. He loves to hug him, give him kisses, point out the parts of his face/body... and chew on his feet on occasion.
It's one of the few toys that has actually gotten played with continuously. He's also gotten a couple of other dolls since (one that used to be mine, and a smaller half soft/half plastic doll), but he loves Richard the most.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverSky
I think a baby doll is a MUST HAVE toy for EVERY child.

Hm, come to think of it ... I hated baby dolls and never played with them.
:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I got my DS a baby doll when he was 1 1/2. I think it teaches little boys to be gentle and loving daddies! And i was also TTC, so i though it would be great for him to get to know about babies.

I think you should def. get your DS a baby doll. Even if he doesn't seem into it right away...give it some time. HTH

Kristen

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
My son was born when my daughter was 15 months. She was already a baby / baby doll obsessor by then, and so he's always played with them and loved to see real babies too. He's 17 months now and finally started to playnurse them.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Ds (29 months) has a few baby dolls but he really never got into playing with them. Sometimes he kisses them and says "aww baby" but doesnt play with them for more than a minute.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
My almost-5-year old son has a doll (named Buddha) that he carries around wherever he is in the house, sleeps with, wears in a sling, and generally takes care of. He's had her for three years.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
My DS is just turned 1. He has been hugging my daughters dolls since he was 5 months old! He loves to push the pink baby stroller too.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My ds has loved dolls and stuffed animals since he could hold them. At any given time, he's got up to six or seven of his "babies" that he's carrying around and taking care of. Most of them are beanies, but the way, a good size for little hands!
I bought him a Waldorf-style doll when he was 2, thinking that he would love a baby that looked like him, but it never really caught on with him.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
We bought a doll for our son when he was 22 months because we were TTC #2 and thought it would be good for him..
but he never really showed any interest in it at all. I'm glad I didn't spend a lot of money on it! He would occasionally hold it for a second if I handed it to him, but most of the time he would spike it or toss it into the toybox to grab a truck instead

·
Registered
243 Posts
Same story here. My mom gave my DS a doll when I was pregnant with #2, but he's never spent more than three minutes playing with it. Then again, he doesn't play with stuffed animals either.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My older son showed no interest in dolls or stuffed animals (though he creates his own teeny tiny little paper characters who he plays with for hours) However, my younger son likes his baby doll, but seems to push prefer to push stuffed animals around in his toy stroller.

The funny thing is my older son (who didn't like his baby doll) has always LOVED actual babies whereas my younger son who likes baby toys/strollers/slings has said upfront that he thinks "babies are boring...they sleep and cry too much and don't share". My younger son is also much rougher and needs to be regulated around infants whereas my big kid is very gentle and seems to have a natural baby instinct. I have actually thought that ds2 plays with them to workout becoming more comfortable whereas my big guy has always been pretty comfortable interacting with actual infants and the dolls didn't compare to the real thing. Does that make sense?

BJ
Barney & Ben

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
21 month old DS has a few soft stuffed animals. One is a giant dog he loves, esp. if I make it talk, bark, wag its tail... He also has a little rabbit he hugs sometimes. We don't have a "doll" per say - but we should. Last week I went to my midwifes office, and there was a cowboy doll, with bendable arms and legs, and DS just loved playing with it. So I think I will get him a proper doll or two this weekend.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
My ds just turned two and he'll hug his dolls for a minute or so, if one is handed to him, but other than that he just ignores them. He does like pushing his doll stroller around though.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
We have one of those Kathe Kruse baby dolls with a wooden teething ring attached. I tried to get ds (who is 15 months) to adopt her as a bedtime lovey, but he was never all that interested. He sometimes likes it when I push her around on his trucks. He likes stuffed animals better. We have a camel puppet that he absolutely loves, and he will try to give the camel drinks from his sippy cup. I never had any use for dolls as a child, so I don't really mind is ds doesn't either.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
my boys will occasionally play with their sister's dollies
My oldest has a stuffed precious moments baby that he sleeps with (baby is fondly named Blue Gabriel after his brother )

·
Registered
770 Posts
My son's first word was "baby" and he LOVES his doll given to him by his grammy. He's never really had a transitional object, but does ask for his baby when we do new things, i.e. go on a plane, stay the night at new place, etc.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
We got our son a doll, but I must say- he prefers cars and trains by far (23 months)
. But I don't regret getting it at all. Occasionally he picks it up and hugs it, tries to give it a drink, asks about the baby's diaper, etc. But, alas, most of the time it languishes in the toy basket.

I say- get one. A nice little plush one is not very expensive (Manhattan Toy company makes a nice one for under $15 and they have boys!) and does not take up a lot of room (you could always give away another unused toy if you feel you really are at your toy limit!). This way, even if it is not the most beloved toy, it is still there when he feels the desire/need to play with it.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
my son has always loved baby dolls.... for about five minutes at a time.

and then he goes back to building stuff and making things that explode.

seriously, he is very enamoured of things like dresses, glitter, frou frou shoes, long hair, makeup and dolls.... but he will only play with them for a very short amount of time before getting bored and moving on to something else. (although he once wore a dress and high heels for about five hours straight, building stuff while being a princess.
)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts