Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Well, I can't help with the infections, because on occasion they do happen and it is usually because of outside factors.

Such as if a woman you sleep with has a yeast infection it IS easier to get it as an intact man. Why? Because you are intact.

However you cure a yeast infection in the man the same you would in the woman, medication not surgery.

As for the 'embarrassing' smell.

I am sorry your father feels that way, but I would have to ask YOU as a woman a question on it. Do you find YOUR odor embarrassing or just a part of who you are?

Those odors are natural (so long as that as an adult you and anyone who is intact DOES manage to clean the genetils while in the shower). Men should have a similar smell to what women do. And if you ask most men, so long as the woman has bathed recently, they don't dislike the smell of their partner. All it means is that your son should have the same courtesy for his girlfriend/wife as she should for him, go rinse off before having relations and if you are in a hurry don't put your faces in eachothers nether regions (so to speak)

Sorry that your father feels embarrassed by the smell, but personally? I wish I had it.

And if your father really WAS that embarrassed...... he would have gotten his own circumcision any time he desired. He is an adult. Yes it would be painful, but it would be JUST as painful to your son, except your son can't take asprine to dull the pain in the recovery period.

So the support is that you are making the right decisions, in some areas it may not be a popular decision..... But it is the right one..... Hope SOME of that helped, just throw out anything that didn't and ignore it, keep the parts that made sense to you.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Hi there and congrats on your little man....and on leaving him intact. One of the biggest reasons that the older generations were plagued by infections was improper care advice by doctors. They were instructed to force the foreskin back as infants and clean thoroughly underneath. Sometimes this included the use of alcohol and Q-tips! You can imagine how damaging that would be on delicate tissues. This type of "care" leads to scarring, phimosis, and all sorts of future problems for the intact adult.

Even if they didn't get damaged like this during infancy, the poor care instructions continued. Docs would recomend intact men scrub beneath their foreskins with harsh soaps and other agents(alcohol, peroxide ect.) which in turn upsets the balance of good and bad bacteria resulting in repeated infections. The sad part is that this often resulted in men trying harder to "keep clean" and try more extream measures and the cycle continues.

The best advice I can give you is to leave your sons foreskin alone and make sure everyone else does too. That is the way to insure he grows up happily intact!

Good luck to you!
Tara

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Oh, you poor thing! I can certainly understand your concerns.

I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about, however. The majority of men in the world are intact, and have no problems whatsoever. It's possible that the problems in your family stem from improper care, from the mistaken belief that one needs to retract a baby's foreskin and "clean under it". As you no doubt know, this is as unnecessary as cleaning out a baby girl's vagina with a Q-tip, and can easily do harm. Premature retraction can result in tearing, which provides a prime opportunity for infection.

Anyone who suffers for years with infections and odors really needs to get over their fear of doctors! Infections are generally treated with antibiotics, not amputation.

All you can do is thank your family for their concern, and assure them that you will be on the lookout for any signs of problems, and will seek medical treatment if necessary - just like you would if he had trouble with his ears, tonsils, or any other body part.

Look at it this way - even if there is a 10% chance that your son develops problems with his foreskin and needs a circumcision later, there is a 90% chance that he will NOT need surgery (or any medical treatment). Meanwhile, circumcision itself come with a long list of possible complications, which are much more likely than any foreskin ailment. It just doesn't make sense to perform amputative surgery on a healthy body part.

Another thing: my Dad, my Mom, my Mom's father, my FIL, and my DH all suffered acute appendicitis, and required emergency surgery. My grandfather was 14, and almost died when his appendix ruptured. One might assume that my sons have a genetic predisposition to appendicitis. Should I bring them in next week to have their healthy appendixes removed? Of course not!

Hang in there - the longer your son maintains his normal, healthy foreskin, the less you will be bothered by your family's horror stories.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Birth isn't the only time that you can circ. If he so chooses as an adult to circ, that would be his choice. It's a personal choice and it's no one elses to make but his own. I guess I don't get why your dad wont circ if he hates being intact so much?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by calngavinsmom View Post
Hi there and congrats on your little man....and on leaving him intact. One of the biggest reasons that the older generations were plagued by infections was improper care advice by doctors. They were instructed to force the foreskin back as infants and clean thoroughly underneath. Sometimes this included the use of alcohol and Q-tips! You can imagine how damaging that would be on delicate tissues. This type of "care" leads to scarring, phimosis, and all sorts of future problems for the intact adult.

Even if they didn't get damaged like this during infancy, the poor care instructions continued. Docs would recomend intact men scrub beneath their foreskins with harsh soaps and other agents(alcohol, peroxide ect.) which in turn upsets the balance of good and bad bacteria resulting in repeated infections. The sad part is that this often resulted in men trying harder to "keep clean" and try more extream measures and the cycle continues.

The best advice I can give you is to leave your sons foreskin alone and make sure everyone else does too. That is the way to insure he grows up happily intact!

Good luck to you!
Tara
ITA with this. My mom even tried to clean my DS with a Qtip becuase that's what all the expert advice was when she was having her babies and reading baby books, 30-ish years ago. There was some really bad advice going around in the older generation that no doubt caused damage and introduced infections. (And when you think about it an untreated infection can cause problems and odors for a LONG time, so the best thing to do if there are any problems is to do something about it, get antibiodics or some other meds, and not just let the odors and discomfort linger.)

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
First off
. your son is NORMAL!

My mom actually saw the light after the first 2 boys, but in time to save her twins. She actually inspired me to not cut up my babies!

Secondly: You could hit them back with random, second-hand, horror stories of your own.

I.E. My paternal grandma had to have her arm amputated at the shoulder when she was almost 80 because of cancer, yet the docs wouldn't cut off my babies' arms.

Also no woman in my family has made it much past 45-50 with an intact uterus, but also no pre-emptive surgery.

As for UTIs, I am so glad to be a girl! I had them chronically for the first 18 years of my life and although i endured 2 very painful surgeries and countless rounds of antibiotics, nothing was ever cut off of me.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Repeated infections - in males or females, in multiple parts of the body (not just the genitals) - could be a sign of diabetes or other immune system weakness.

Perhaps your dad could look into this, and have a look at his diet, or alternative means to support his constitution.

Gillian

·
Registered
545 Posts
While foreskin problems can happen, it's rare for a man to have really persistent infections. It could be dietary or related to soaps and cleansers, etc. Unfortunately, we really have no way of knowing ahead of time which boys/men will have problems, but at least you can rest assured that most don't. Isn't there a good Finnish study out there showing that 1 in 16,667 intact men end up having a circumcision for medical reasons as adults? Chances are good that your son will be healthy, especially with a good knowledge of proper foreskin maintenance.

FWIW, I think circumcised penises get stinky, too, when they are not cleaned regularly, probably because there are many sebaceous glands in the skin of the groin.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I also agree with pp's. I would not be surprised in the least if he has scarring and the like from the care his penis was given as an infant, but unfortunately, that was the advice given back then and his mom was probably just trying to be a good mother. Is your grandmother/his mother still alive? Maybe you could ask her about it?
I also have some anectodal evidence to the contrary. My dh is circ'd, while his two brothers are not. They are all adults now. My dh has had around a dozen UTI's in his life. One of his brothers has never had any UTI's. The other has had one. No other penis infections, no other problems, nothing. Their mom went against the advice given at the time and left their penises alone-just like what is adviced now. The result is that they are both very happy with being left intact and wouldnt have it any other way. Dh on the other hand, is very angry about being circ'd and has other penis issues-like an almost complete lack of sensitivity. Oh, and ds (who is 6.5) has also never had any infections/UTI's. In fact, his foreskin protected his glans from damage several months back when he accidentally crushed his penis on a shopping cart. We were certainly very happy he was intact when that happened!
Anyway, good for you for keeping your son intact! I also hope that your older son is getting an idea that being intact is ok too (I know its hard, since you dont want your older ds to think that anything is wrong with him, but I would try to anyway-hopefully any sons he has will be left intact too! And I want to add that dh never thought anything was wrong with himself until after he started having sex, but he always maintained that he would leave his own sons intact.) I have been rather lucky in that my dh's family is (obviously!) pro-intact and my family really doesnt care either way...though my aunt seems to still think its cleaner "for some guys." Her dh is mexican so I wonder if he was left intact and circ'd later or??? He seems fairly pro-circ. Ok, going off subject
. Just let your family know that you will keep your eyes open for problems and that if any recurring problems start, you can always have him circ'd later, with better pain meds than he can get as an infant

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nd_deadhead View Post
I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about, however. The majority of men in the world are intact, and have no problems whatsoever. It's possible that the problems in your family stem from improper care, from the mistaken belief that one needs to retract a baby's foreskin and "clean under it". As you no doubt know, this is as unnecessary as cleaning out a baby girl's vagina with a Q-tip, and can easily do harm. Premature retraction can result in tearing, which provides a prime opportunity for infection.

Anyone who suffers for years with infections and odors really needs to get over their fear of doctors! Infections are generally treated with antibiotics, not amputation.

:

·
Registered
555 Posts
First off, congrats on the birth of your son AND for making the best choice for him! As far as your family goes.... not sure if you've ever ran into a pro-circ person on the internet but they always seem to know someone that had troubles with their foreskin. Could be maybe your family is trying to make excuses why your son should be circ'ed? I say this because I don't want you worrying your whole life "when is he going to get a UTI" Also, I'm not saying your family is pro-circ, I'm just trying to make suggestions. Another thing... proper care of the intact penis why back then was to retract the foreskin right from birth for cleaning. Since we all know now that isn't true.... that could be 1 reason they had problems, if they really did. Anyway... I think you made a great decision!!

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
It sounds like your father is not getting proper treatment. If the dr he is going to is just prescribing broad sperctrum anti biotics for the infection then he is not being properly treated. So it looks like he is getting repeat infections when in reality it is the same infection coming back again and again since it is not being cured just knocked down by the abx.

For him to receive proper treatment he needs a swab done to see exactly what type of infection is there and given the case specific abx for it. Also your mom could actually be carrying the same infection but have no symptoms and is passing it back to him again and again. She should go in to and have a simple swab done and see if anything is there.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Intact men can get yeast infections too. So maybe if he was getting infections, and then gave him antibiotics, he got a yeast infection from that.

It's no biggie, women get both kinds of infections sometimes too, you treat them and go on.

This culture has placed so many taboos and unreal inconveniences around foreskins.
: It's just a body part like the rest. You treat it and move on.

YOu just have to make sure you have the right treatment, or it could make the problem drawn out or more of an issue than it needs to be, yknow?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
He also needs to not be overdoing the cleaning either. Its kind of a natural reaction to clean even more when you have an infection and in this case, thats not a good thing.
What I would suggest is this: get the swab, get a culture done, figure out exactly what is causing the infection, get the proper antibiotic for that infection. Take the antibiotic religiously-never miss a dose, take it until its all gone, etc. They can also test to make sure the bacteria hasnt become resistant to the antibiotic-they take the antibiotic and use it on the plate where the bacteria has been grown and check how well it is working on them. If the bacteria is resistant, they may try another treatment or do a much longer round of antibiotics-like I have reccurant staph infection and the last time I took antibiotics I was on them for 6 months.
Anyway, once he is put on the proper medicaiton, then he needs to look at how he is cleaning. When he goes to the restroom, he shouldnt use toilet paper, just shake it (I know most guys do that anyway, but....lol). When he is in the shower/bath, he shouldnt use soap on the covered areas of his penis. In other words, its ok to wash the outside, before its retracted, with soap, but when he retracts, he needs just use plain, clean water. No soap. Its very irritating and can actually clean off the good bacteria as well. He should never us anti bacterial stuff and no ointments. I know this isnt something I would want to think about, lol, but after he "does the deed," he should also rinse off (which personally I think all guys should do but whatever). If he is still getting recurrent infections after all of this, than I would say something else is going on. There is just no reason for it....

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Pp have said it all - improper care instructions more than likely.

My older ds (circd) has had many uti's. My intact ds hasnt had any problems.

If you want to keep them off your case however...

Quote:
More about my dad... he consulted with a doctor years ago about getting a circumcision. The doctor scared him out of it by telling him the risks of the surgery, including the possibility that he could lose his "equipment". I'm not sure if the doctor was trying to convince him to stay intact or simply stating the facts, but he hasn't revisited the idea since. But, he says he does still have infections and discomfort, which he does get treated. For some reason they're recurrent.
...you could always ask your dad why he wants your child to have such a dangerous surgery he himself wont do.

Congrats on your new babe!

·
Banned
2,832 Posts
I'm from Russia where circ is unheard of. Everyone I know (my father, brother, ex-husband, his brother, his father, all my ex-boyfriends, sons of my friends and everyone else I know) are intact as well. I swear in Russia I have NEVER even HEARD of any male having any kind of problems (yeast, UTI, odor, etc.) with his penis (I always thought it was women who have all this stuff (yeast, UTIs), including myself). On the other hand, here in the US I constantly hear about such things with both circ-ed and intact guys. I think that messing up with this area is exactly what causes all the problems. In case of intact guys I think it's retraction that is done by doctors/nurses/child care workers.
And no, intact guys do NOT have any odor even with a shower only once a week (just trust my word on this
). I think if there is any bad smell it's a sign that something isn't right down there.
As I said, my first husband (and all my ex-boyfriends for that matter) was intact and we never ever had to use any moisturizer during sex. My second husband did get mutilated
and we have to use tons of it... My heart is breaking when I think that he was abused in such a horrible and permanent way when he was a helpless pure innocent infant
... Please keep your baby intact and please make absolutely sure you tell all the doctors/nurses/family members/child care workers to NEVER retract him under any circumstances. He'll be so grateful for being whole when he's older...

PS. I was deeply SHOCKED when I learn that in the US many infants get circ and even more shocked by the way they do it. It's barbaric! And all the American myths about circumcision and intact guys just DRIVE ME NUTS! What a nonsense!

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VernaBloom View Post
T

More about my dad... he consulted with a doctor years ago about getting a circumcision. The doctor scared him out of it by telling him the risks of the surgery, including the possibility that he could lose his "equipment". I'm not sure if the doctor was trying to convince him to stay intact or simply stating the facts, but he hasn't revisited the idea since. But, he says he does still have infections and discomfort, which he does get treated. For some reason they're recurrent.

But wait....they know this but can't understand why you didn't risk your tiny newborn treasure? That just doesn;t make any sense....is your dad saying that he was afraid to risk his life having surgery, but you should have risked his grandson? Is his life and "equipment" more valuable than your babes?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Rest assured that you did make the right decision. If your son has problems later in life, he will always have the option to get circumcised if he wants to. You have preserved his right to his own body (genitals included) and there cannot be anything wrong with that, no matter what your family says.

(I'm an unhappily circumcised male, by the way, and I am absolutely livid that my choice over my own body was stolen from me.)

As for infections: yes, they do happen. Intact women get them even more than intact men (by a significant margin). And like women, there are plenty of non-surgical ways to treat genital infections in men. In fact, they are usually the same ways.

It sounds like you just coincidentally happen to know a bunch of people that had penile problems. If you take a look at the statistics, infections in intact guys aren't really that common. And chronic infections are even rarer. I don't remember the exact numbers off hand. Anyone else know?

Quote:

Originally Posted by VernaBloom
More about my dad... he consulted with a doctor years ago about getting a circumcision. The doctor scared him out of it by telling him the risks of the surgery, including the possibility that he could lose his "equipment".
Any risks that apply to adults apply to infants as well. In fact, since baby's penises are so much smaller, surgical error is more common in infants. So, again, this is just further verification that you did the right thing!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts