Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to get back into shape (excersize and diet) so I've been eating less and excersizing more. Since then my baby has been hungry more and really fussy. I feel what I'm doing is wrong! Am I starving my baby by dieting? If so, is there a diet out there that both of us will be happy; I'll be losing fat and she'll be gaining it?? I don't want to stop breastfeeding, oh I just don't know what to do!! Please help!
:

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Well you're certainly not starving your DC!!! Don't worry about that... the way that I dieted after DS was born was simple... I cut back to 2000 (nursing mamas need an extra 300) cals a day but filled that quota with lean protein, whole wheat breads and lotsa fresh fruits and veggies... its all about portion control!!!

Geez, that sounded preachy. Sorry!!!!
All I meant was, I was 160 when I got preggers (I'm 5'3") and 190 when I delievered and now I'm down to 135. Of course, it could be running around after a newly walkin' DS... but whatever works right?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maybaby18
I really want to get back into shape (excersize and diet) so I've been eating less and excersizing more. Since then my baby has been hungry more and really fussy. I feel what I'm doing is wrong! Am I starving my baby by dieting? If so, is there a diet out there that both of us will be happy; I'll be losing fat and she'll be gaining it?? I don't want to stop breastfeeding, oh I just don't know what to do!! Please help!
:

Depends on what you are eating. Low carb I would stay away from until you are done BF as this will affect your supply somewhat. I have noticed this with my own diet, and trying to eat well and enough and maintain the supply while losing the babyweight. Eating natural foods, staying away from processed foods, and fast foods should help you lose the babyweight in no time. It is when you grab all that quick stuff that it will slow your progress not to mention not provide the best nutrition for your child.

Losing 1-2 lbs per week is all you can really give up safely and effectively for long term weight loss. BF alone is going to help this paired with your workouts you should be on your way, without having to cut your calories too much. You can even cheat and still lose the weight.

Consider BF as a treadmill strapped to your chest.

A.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree with with the eat better and exercise more advice. Also, not to sound preachy, but I encourage you to be kind to yourself about the weight loss expectations.
I know for myself that I can get a little negative with my "self-talk" around such topics. My ds is 7 months old. I gained about 40 pounds during pregnancy, lost about half by the time he was 2 months and then the weight loss stalled out for a while (and I started to worry). Then around 5-6 months I discovered I was back to pre-pregnancy weight. All I've been doing is taking him for stroller walks now and again and doing a lot of moving around while carrying him in my arms or in a front or side carrier of some sort.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I gained almost 40 (!!!) lbs with DS, and lost almost all of it by maybe 3 weeks pp.
: It literally fell off. I was thinking, well, great, I only have seven lbs to lose, I'll be at my pre-pregnancy weight by my pp checkup! Yeah, well, six months later, I still hadn't been able to lose that last bit of weight. Whenever I went under 2200 calories a day, or exercised vigorously, DS would get cranky, want to nurse 24/7, always act hungry, wouldn't sleep well, etc. So I couldn't lose the weight. When he hit seven months, I decided to try again, and he was fine. I'm back at just under 130, exactly what I was before I got pregnant. I don't know why I wasn't able to lose it earlier - he's still EBF, so no supplemental solids - so just hang in there! It can take some time before your body is ready to part with the weight. In the meantime, eat as healthy as you can and exercise as much as your body and babe allow!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I personally think that eating any low carb, low fat kind of diet is harmful for your haby, in the way that your milk will become deficient in what baby needs.

I totally second the advice about eating better, and not being to hard on your self. Can I ask how old is your little one? Ive still got pregg weight to lose and mines 7 1/2 m/o

Eat plenty of fresh, whole foods that fill you up and nourish your body (and your milk) I follow the WAP diet that is high in protein and (good) fat, with soaked grains, raw milk etc and the weight is literally falling off. In the last 3 weeks Ive lost more than 8lbs!!!

Sorry to go on about it, but its essential that you give your body the right foods to make the best milk it can for your baby.

All the best.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes, as others have said, focus on eating a good diet of whole foods. No refined sugar or empty calories. Just be sure that what you are eating is nurtitionally excellent: leafy greens, green veggies, fruits, beans.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
A good friend of mine has had a lot of success with Weight Watchers while BF and not. I know they have a different program for nursing moms...I think they add a few extra points per day or something like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts