Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>We are planning on TTC #2 this month but I am a little worried.  From our birth records, I found out that I had a placental disruption with a 10 cm "lesion" in my first pregnancy.  DS also has several special needs.  My doctor mentioned to me that I would not be able to lift more than 10 lbs in subsequent pregnancies and that I'd be considered high risk (DS also born at 35 wks), need frequent ultrasounds, etc.  She did NOT mention anything about my placenta.  She told me all this on her way out of the practice she was working in, so there is no way to discuss it again.  I think she just wanted me to alert my next doctor.  She was a very "hands off" and laid back doctor suggesting very little intervention in the first pregnancy so I was surprised by her suggestions.  When I went into labor, I had to *beg* them to check me because they didn't even think I was in labor (and I was 7 cm dilated....).   </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyhow, does anyone know the difference between a disruption versus an abruption?  I talked with my family doctor who delivers babies in low risk pregnancies and she had NO clue what I was talking about.  My fear is that it is not going to be realistic for me to not lift more than 10 lbs throughout the pregnancy but I don't see that changing any time soon.  TIA!</p>

·
Premium Member
14,501 Posts
<p>Well, I had an abruption with #1 (DS) but did not get put on any restrictions for DD1 or DD2 due to it... but hes also not special needs so I do not know if the severity matters on future restrictions. I know when he was born and the doctor showed me our placenta it had a golfball size clot on his side from the abruption.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>All I can think is maybe a disruption is a tear of the actual placenta while an abruption is the placenta seperating from the uterus?</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts