Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey mamas! i'm going to have a baby in Jan. and am trying to figure out how to cd a newborn. This will be the first cd'd newborn for me. Now i know that newborns usually grow out of the first dipes really fast so i don't want to invest a whole lot. That's why i was thinking prefolds with covers. my babies are usually also on the smaller side. less then 7 lbs. one mama said that she didn't like using prefolds cuz they were really hot which means she probably had her baby in the summer, which will be the opposite of my case. So i wanted to know what the difference is with cpf's and baby textiles which i think are dsq's? If anyone has any recomendations on newborn dipes i would appriciate them. Do they resell pretty well making them worth the money? Thanks mamas!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I don't see how prefolds could be hot? They're cotton, so very breathable.

I had some Baby Textiles, which you are correct that they're DSQ and not CPFs, about a year and a half ago and hated them. They were wider and bulkier than my CPFs and I hated how they fit. However, I saw a thread here recently, saying how soft and wonderful Baby Textiles are because they are now made differently or something along those lines, they're now Indian prefolds, which are supposed to be nice. (Do I have this right ladies? I could be completely confused.) So, they may be a lot nicer now than what I had before. I should try one myself to see.

For a baby less than 7 lbs, I would get preemie prefolds. An infant sized prefold would be bulky on a baby that small, IMO. Once your baby gets closer to 10 lbs, infant prefolds would work fine. Especially if you get the 4x6x4 infant prefolds that are less bulky than the 4x8x4. As a matter of fact, if some bulk wouldn't bother you for the first weeks, then maybe you could start right off with the 4x6x4 infants. My ds fit great in 4x8x4 infant prefolds right away, but he was nine and a half pounds. The preemie prefolds are only about $12/dozen, so they still might be worth it for you. You can use them later as doublers or even mama cloth. Infant prefolds can be used as doublers later too. You can usually resell your prefolds if they're not holey and get at least a little bit back, so they're definitely an affordable option.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I had both uncpfs and baby textiles. The ubcpf didn't last as long because they were too narrow to snappi and I don't do the trifold in the wrap thingy. But my ds has a very round tummy so this might not be true for everyone.

I liked the 4x6x4 better because its less bulky so its trimmer. Not as absorbant though.

I really liked my infant cpfs though, I just wished they were wider.

Michelle

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a lot of thinking to do about this I guess. I heard of a co-op for dsq's but don't know if i should try them since i don't know if I'll like them. I've only had the cpf's. Well I'm going to put my thinking cap back on. At least I've got a few months still!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.