Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2.5 y.o. DD eats very little other than breastmilk. She won't eat protein at all other than a very rare bite or two of chicken fingers, and then it just goes through her without being digested at all-- comes out looking like chewed up chicken with bits of breading. Actually, pretty much everything that she does eat comes out looking very undigested-- today she pooped out chunks of mandarin oranges. I hid soy butter in a jelly sandwich and it gave her diarrhea. I hid sunbutter in a jelly sandwich and it gave her horrible gas. Plain bread with jelly is fine though.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? Or is this normal? Should I just let it go and hope she's eating solids when she's in high school or does it sound like something that should be evaluated? and if so, by whom?

I'm getting lots of "helpful hints" along the lines of "just wean her, she'll figure it out" or "she's not eating because you nurse her too much" and they are really starting to wear me out.

I would really appreciate some insight from someone who has BTDT.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Toddlers do not chew very well so it's normal for *some* foods to come out in recognizable pieces. However, it does sound like there might be something else going on with your dd. Have you taken her to the ped yet?

Try feeding her the BRAT diet first (bananas, rice, apples, toast) and see if that is digested well. Then move on to other things that are gentle and easy to chew and digest. If you are concerned about protein try giving yogurt and cooked beans.

Peanuts, meat, and citrus are all very hard to digest. Peanuts and citrus are things that some kids are allergic to. Mandarin oranges are notorious for coming out undigested in toddlers. I hope you get some answers soon!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Oh, yeah, BTDT.

DS would not eat much solid food until he was 3 -- he had a sensitive gag reflex, and the food that stayed down would just sit in his stomach for hours and make him feel sick, and then he was always constipated. Breast milk is actually one of the best foods for your DD, because it is not pasteurized and contains helpful bacteria that assist the digestion of proteins.

My DS's diet and digestion began to improve after a bunch of things happened -- we started giving him lots of yogurt/kefir smoothies and looked for other foods containing beneficial bacteria, such as fresh fruits and veggies. We make a raw spinach pesto in the blender that he eats by the spoonful! We cut fruit into the tiniest pieces and very gradually increased the amount and size of the fruit pieces. We also gave DS a chewable papaya enzyme after dinner (after he learned how to chew and grind food with his teeth). To help with the constipation, we gave him a low dose of milk of magnesia once or twice a week -- magnesium is a catalyst for digestive enzymes. Do not give enzymes or magnesium to a young child without checking first with a doctor. You may also wish to ask your doctor about gluten intolerance or nut allergies (especially if nuts and seeds give DD a rash on the bottom). I think some kids just have more trouble digesting nuts/seeds before age 3. My DS used to gag on them, now he loves to eat them every day.

Have patience. You are doing the right thing by following DD's digestive cues. Expand her diet slowly and lovingly as her body learns to tolerate more foods. I thought DS would never move beyond kefir and cereal, but in the last year, he has learned to enjoy such an incredible variety of foods that he no longer qualifies as a picky eater. Sometimes pieces of food still come out whole in his poop, but not as often as a year ago. On that smelly note, best of luck!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by USAmma
Toddlers do not chew very well so it's normal for *some* foods to come out in recognizable pieces. However, it does sound like there might be something else going on with your dd. Have you taken her to the ped yet?
The first time I spoke to her ped, he said to try pushing solids and reduce her nursing a bit and she would probably start to make the switch. I actually tried this for about a week or so when she was about 20 months
: and it was a miserable experience for everyone. She had diarrhea and was bloated with gas the whole time. It resolved after a couple of days on just BM. When I spoke to him about the effect of pushing solids, he kind of shrugged and said that she was healthy and growing well, meeting developmental milestones on time so just go ahead and nurse her and she would probable just grow out of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by USAmma
Try feeding her the BRAT diet first (bananas, rice, apples, toast) and see if that is digested well. Then move on to other things that are gentle and easy to chew and digest. If you are concerned about protein try giving yogurt and cooked beans.

Peanuts, meat, and citrus are all very hard to digest. Peanuts and citrus are things that some kids are allergic to. Mandarin oranges are notorious for coming out undigested in toddlers. I hope you get some answers soon!
I'm glad to hear that she isn't the only one who poops mandarins.
I think this one surprised me the most because they are soft and squishy.

She hasn't had any nuts- and won't for some time because of the risk of allergies. She seems to like oranges, although she mostly juices them with her teeth ( I cut them into wedges instead of giving slices).

She will only rarely eat yogurt and then only a bite or two, even the sugary kind with fruit. Beans, meat (with the exception of breaded chicken fingers) and cheese she won't even put in her mouth not even to taste them. I think that the only reason she eats the chicken fingers is that they make a wonderful scoop for massive amounts of ketchup, which she would prefer to eat with a spoon.

I AM concerned about the protein, because while she does not eat much- a few bites here or there, she is at least willing to try a variety of other foods. If it has protein in it though, it doesn't even go into her mouth.

At this point, I'm not sure if I should go back to the ped or see someone else-- or just plan on getting another degree when I have to go to college with her.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fay
DS would not eat much solid food until he was 3 -- he had a sensitive gag reflex,
I did have some earlier concerns about her ability to chew food. She didn't lose her tongue thrust reflex until 10 or 11 months. She did look like she had some difficulty chewing food at first (around 15 months), but has not appeared to have difficulty for the past several months.

I haven't tried kefir or papaya enzyme. I will look into both.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Have you looked into Celiac's? Celiac's causes all sorts of digestive problems in little ones, especially diarrhea, bloating, gas, food aversions (as eating makes them feel bad.) Try the message boards at celiac.com if you want to look into this more. They're really friendly over there from what I've observed and dealt with.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by peekyboo
Have you looked into Celiac's? Celiac's causes all sorts of digestive problems in little ones, especially diarrhea, bloating, gas, food aversions (as eating makes them feel bad.)

From what I have read, the symptoms of celiac disease don't really seem to fit. She does not seem to have difficulty with gastro symptoms (other than everything coming out in chunks) as long as she only eats grains, fruits and veggies. She is extremely healthy otherwise, is at the top of the growth chart, developmentally very advanced. Are there atypical presentations of Celiac? Where there are no symptoms as long as gluten is the only protein and problems arise if other sources are added?

I'm not sure if that makes sense-- it's been a long and trying day and I'm having difficulty keeping my eyes open. I'm not feeling very coherent right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.