Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so three weeks ago I was 1/2 cm, dilated and the midwife said she could feel my daughter's head when doing the internal but also mentioned she's not engaged yet.<br><br>
So, if I am already dilated and she could feel her head through the cervix, does that automatically mean I've effaced some as well? I forgot to ask but will do next Wed. I was just curious...<br><br>
39 weeks tomorrow--let's get this show on the road!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't have an answer for you, but rather the same question! My midwife checked me Thursday and I was 1 cm and she did comment that she could feel baby's head, but I also forgot ask about effacement.<br><br>
I wish I could feel my own cervix but I have failed miserably when I tried.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Is this your first baby? Usually with a first baby you efface before you start to dilate so, if you're already a bit dilated then yes, you're probably effaced. Being able to feel the baby's head doesn't require effacement or dilation because you can feel then through the vaginal wall if they're down enough.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Usually you efface (thin out) before you begin to dialte, especially with a 1st baby, but both can happen. Im due in 9days and at my last appt, OB said I was 1cm and 50% effaced. (This is #7 for me tho, so who knows what may happen next, since I was 3cm the week b4. lol). And you dont *have* to be dialted for your hcp to feel the babe, like someone else had mentioned. They can feel babe when they do a cervical check ( they areeasier to feel the lower down they are, but I was told by my OB that my baby girl was still "high") as well as external palpation.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Usually first timers efface before they dilate, but that is not always the case.<br><br>
After the first baby, the cervix can stay partially open all the time (1cm or so), so it's possible to be "dilated" without being effaced. Dilation and effacement usually happen at the same time after the first baby.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts