Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been struggling with a yeast rash on my daughter for several months. She is on probiotics, I use clotramazole cream on her, and just recently got a script for oral nystatin. I started thinking maybe the buildup on my dipes is aggrivating it. I know its not just the dipes because i wash all of them together and my son doesn't have a rash, and I rinse with vinegar. i am getting irritated with the ammonia smell when wet as well though. I have stripped the dipes in dawn with like 10 hot rinses after with vinegar, and the dipes come out smelling like nothing, but the smell comes back when they are peed in. I have even used bleach and same thing. I have heard boiling works but most of my dipes and inserts have plastic snaps, and I heard it can ruin the snaps. I was thinking maybe I have hard water? How do I find out if I do? And this is OT but I noticed the yeastiness started when she started eating lots of solid food. Could the yeast be food allergy/sensitivity related? Am I really going to have to buy all new diapers or something, because I am worried that is my only option unless you guys have any advice. Please HELP!!!!!!!!

I have an HE front loader if that is helpful. TIA

·
Registered
91 Posts
No suggestions for you, but I hope you get some, because I have the same problem. My daughter's diapers never used to smell, and the last two months or so, they absolutely reek when she pees. My best friend can't even change her diapers because she's pregnant and the smell makes her throw up. My day care has complained about the smell.
:They come out of the dryer smelling fine. I have tried vinegar, baking soda, extra rinses, nothing works. I haven't tried Dawn. How much do you use? I guess I could try boiling, but we have snaps too, and I'm afraid to ruin the diapers.

Hope some experts can chime in.

Amanda

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I could have written your post. I don't know for sure that it is yeast in our case, but nothing I've tried seems to help her bum. I started her on probiotics a few days ago, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm also worried about boiling my snaps, but just might give it a go. My diapers are pretty holey after two children, anyway.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I boiled some of my dipes last night. It appears to have worked on some, but not all of them. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I boiled my diapers last weekend. No more stink, so that worked, but the rash hasn't been touched. Didn't get worse going back into cloth from sposies, though, so at least that's ruled out.

I took her to the doctor, finally, and she just gave me an "eczema" answer, which I'm not happy with. Cortizone cream, etc....I'm trying it because nothing else has helped, but I really feel like there must be some CAUSE that I can change/avoid. Sigh. Poor baby bum.

By the way, I DID boil my diapers with snaps, but I made sure they were on the top of the pot (prefolds on the bottom), and didn't put them in until the water was boiling. I feel like one of the snaps on one of the diapers doesn't POP as it should, but these are oooooooold holey little beetles, and I wasn't too worried about ruining them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would look at food first. What kind of solid foods does she eat? Does she eat any refined grains ie.. white flour breads, crackers, box cereal? How about fruits or juice? If she eats yogurt is it plain or does it have sugar?
I had to take my daughter off of ANY form of sugar before I could get rid of the yeast.
Also, when my son was little we were drinking the ultra pasturized organic milk. He started to get rashes. We switched to raw milk and that cleared his rash up immediatly.
Good luck. It can be hard to chage diets but, worth it.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
:subbing: Posted about this and have yet to get help. Bleach worked for us the last time. Hopefully it works this time. I used a tylenol droperful in my front loader and it killed all of the yeast.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.