Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed a difference in growing dependent on what direction you run your rows? I have no idea the size of my garden. Probably about 20' x 32', best guess, so I have plenty of room to do either north-south or east-west. Supposed to warm up on Monday and the plants are getting kicked out.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I tend to plant east-west, so that the rows of plants that are going to be tallest are northmost (corn and beans in our case) and the plants that are going to be shortest are southmost (carrots in our case). But I don't think its particularly important; just keep in mind you don't want the tall things shading out other stuff.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, that helps, thanks.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
we have ours E to W but on the west side there is afternoon shade from trees. I notice a big difference on same plant/same variety within a row. I tend to plant sun lovers like tomato and peppers on the E side of the beds and less needful of sun on the W side (lettuce and greens) so in a way although my beds are run E-W I do plant N-S sorta.<br><br>
We are working on a hillside too so the E-W beds/rows are also helping with erosion control.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
I do E-W too. Our garden is long N-S and I feel i get more in by going E-W even though theoretically I know it is the same. I like to have rows of 1 thing.<br><br>
From North to South this is what I planted<br><br>
Potatoes<br>
Marigolds/Nasturtiums<br>
Peas<br>
Pumpkin<br>
Corn/Beans together<br>
Cucumber<br>
Carrots<br>
Beets/Marigolds/multiplier onions<br>
spanish onions<br>
garlic<br>
spinach/lettuce/Nasturtiums<br><br>
I planted the peas between the potatoes & pumpkin because they will be pulled before the pumpkins take over and I'll leave a pea fence up to keep the pumpkins out of my potatoes.<br><br>
the corn/beans/pumpkin are companion plants and thrive with each other. i wind the pumpkin through the corn(the beans will be pulled by that point) and that'll keep them from spreading too far south and into the cucumber.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Well this is interesting, thanks for stasrting the thread!<br><br>
I have a small city garden, and just realized I planted W-E, following the logic of directionality, with the shortest plants in front (westernmost), bush beans next to them farther east, and the tallest plants Easternmost (my tomatoes).<br><br>
cool!<br><br>
and yes, the western- and southernmost plants get taller faster. None of them get to much morning sun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts