Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what would you recommend: the Disana wool pull-up pant or the aristocrat? And what size? (for a newborn, but wanting to stretch out its use for as loooong as possible--I can wait perhaps and start using it after a month or two if its too large but don't want the baby to outgrow it really quickly).

TIA!
:

·
Registered
788 Posts
I prefer the Aristocrats. The Disana takes a while to "break in" and be fully waterproof, plus is more likely to shrink (I treated the 2 covers the same, the Disana shrank quite a bit in the rise and the 'Crat was fine).

My babies have been above-average in size so we haven't had a problem with the small 'Crat fitting from the beginning.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Just today it hit me. I really dislike Crats.
I use prefolds with wool pull on covers. I bought a total of five Crats, and here's the issues I've been having. My boy is 4 months old, but in that amount of time here's what I've found. The top of my Crats is really really streached out. Three of the Crats I bought brand new, from diff. companies, have small holes in them where there shouldn't be any holes. Ezra wears a lot of t-shirts with his soakers, and the t-shirts ride up exposing the not so attractive Crats wasteband....it really goes up high on him and looks kinda weird. The last thing is, they just are not very soft.
I've not tried Disana yet, but I do love my Lana wool pull on covers. I'm gonna ditch all the Crats and get more of those. They look like wonderful old time almost German baby britches on him, and they are so so soft. Plus they cost about the same. I'm ditchin the Crats.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jillkuster
Why am I the only one who hates them then...............?
:
I wished I did like them since I bought five.
not everything works well for everyone. I think that is probably why. Babies are all different shapes and something that works great for one person might really suck for another. Also, it sounds like you got some bad ones if you had holes.
Amy

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I use both, and I used to be totally in love with my Disana soakers, b/c they are soooo soft and work really, really well. However, like the pp, I've just had too much trouble with them shrinking. If you do get one, I highly recommend getting at least one size larger so that you can felt it and it has room to shrink.

Now I love my 'Crat. I rotate that and a recycled wool soaker at night.

Have you thought about using recycled wool? New Life Woolens has several soakers, including newborn size, starting at $10.00.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
There's also a kind made in New Zealand that are similar to Crats, and they are $13? I had two of those and they worked well. I don't have the site bookmarked anymore. Dang it. They worked very well and I kept wondering why I was overpaying for other wool covers when these were just as nice. Anyone remember where to buy these?
One more thing about the Crats though. I bought a small for my son and it fit from the time he was newborn at about 8 pounds, and still fits him. He's now four months old and so chubby that he is over 20 pounds. He is nowhere near outgrowing the size small. The med. and the large work well as far as fit goes too. They are wonderful like that. I think if you do go the Crats route, it will pay off as far as fitting for awhile goes. The New Zealand smalls he outgrew but the Crats just streached along with him. (See....I can come up with one good thing about them!) Green Mountain diapers (I think that's the site) has pics of a small baby in size sm. Crats, and shows how that sized baby also works in a large etc....it's a good reference.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jillkuster
There's also a kind made in New Zealand that are similar to Crats, and they are $13? I had two of those and they worked well. I don't have the site bookmarked anymore. Dang it. They worked very well and I kept wondering why I was overpaying for other wool covers when these were just as nice. Anyone remember where to buy these?
Are you talking about Baby World of New Zealand? You can get them here. However, Baby World has gone out of business as of May 2006, so you'll only be able to get whatever's left in stock at places that carry them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.