Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm 28 weeks pregnant and experiencing something wierd.
When I wake up from a good nap or in the morning my hands hurt. More specifically the joints in my fingers. When I move them around a little the discomfort goes away. They don't hurt at any other times.
Has anyone else experienced this? What is it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've gotten carpal tunnel with both of my previous pregnancies and expect it any time with this third (25 weeks)!! Your symptoms sound like mine. Do your arms or hands fall asleep while you are sleeping?? Mine do and become painful enough to wake me up. By the end of the pregnancy, I've had several fingers go numb. BUT, (fingers crossed!!) by the month after each birth, my hands are back to normal and no residual pain or anything.

Hopefully, yours won't be too bad and will go away!!

Sarah

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Carpal tunnel doesn't always go away on its own--it might be a good idea to pick up some wrist braces at the drugstore and wear them at least while you sleep. They keep your wrist straight which is the "roomiest" position for the ligaments inside the tunnel and will hopefully allow the inflammation to subside a bit. I ended up having surgery a month after my son's birth because my carpal tunnel did not resolve on its own and my orthopedist was worried I would have permanent nerve damage. The surgery helped immensely but I think I did have a little damage because it is now 9 months later and my affected hand is still not quite the same. It is a little weaker and my thumb and forefinger do not have full sensation. Don't mean to scare you but it can develop into a serious problem if left untreated!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I had the same thing when I was pregnant. Luckily it went away as soon as ds was born. Do you have any pain in your feet? It would hurt me to walk on the bottoms of my feet when I'd get up to go the bathroom at night. This is still happening to me.

Amy
(sorry to butt in...not pregnant anymore...just popped in to lurk!)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks y'all for the advice. Didn't really think it could be carpal tunnal because it only hurts when I wake. Thought it had to hurt all the time.

Glad it went away for most of you that had it. If it gets really bothersome or worse I'll look into getting some wrist braces. A friend of mine had this with her last pregnancy, maybe she has some wrist braces.
Don't know why I didn't think of carpal tunnal.
Oh and yes sometimes my hand or arm will fall asleep at night and wake me up, and no pain in my feet. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Jodie~
I'm having exactly the same thing, pain at night and first thing in the morning that goes away when I use my hands a bit. I never knew that carpal tunel cause joint pain! I had wrist pain iwth my ds and used the barces, but did not experience hand pain. Hmmmm. . .
Occasionally My hands tingle at night, but not much.
My feet hurt too, and I've got a touch of swelling in both hands and feet.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't really know if what I have is carpal tunnal but the wrist braces helped.
Got them from a friend and used them last night till about 6 in the morning. Well,no hurting hands.
Took them off and went back to sleep. Woke up with my fingers hurting. So guess I'll be using the braces.
I also have a touch of swelling in my hands and feet. Had to take my rings off they were too tight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts