Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been calling around to get my son into a program that can provide him with a little more help than a regular preschool and I'm really discouraged. Child Find cannot see us until Febrauary and the local Head Start program is run out of a really run-down looking trailer with no outside play area for the children. When I went to get an application today the woman was very unfriendly and did not even let us in, she pretty much gave us the application and shut the door.

DS is almost 4 and I'm new to all of this. He has motor delays, slight speech delays and sensory issues. Does anyone else have any other suggestions other than Head Start and Child Find? He was in a regular pre-school but the director pretty much asked us to leave and suggested we take him to a school where he could get more help for "kids like him". We're in SW FL if that helps.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
In Leon county there are pre-K programs at the public schools, for 3 and 4 year olds. I'm not sure what it takes to get a child into one of the programs, but at least they are run out of the regular school building so the little ones have a decent playground and a regular classroom, have you contacted your local public school to see if they have any programs that can help you guys? I think that eligibility for the programs has some kind of income based requirements, maybe someone who knows better will chime in with more info.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Child Find is your public school district's program? That's what they called it when we lived in VA. I know there are deadlines for evaluations etc under federal law, but I don't know what they are. I am surprised they are taking until February to start the evaluation process--is that what is supposed to happen in February? You begin the evaluation process to determine if your child is eligible for special education? You might want to see if you can figure out the school district's federally mandated deadlines--there may be an advocacy group in your area that can help. If you can't, pm me to let me know and I will see if I can figure it out for you--I might have some paperwork from our school district that outlines their obligations.

If you have insurance or the means to pay out-of-pocket you could arrange for private occupational therapy and/or speech therapy until you can get school services to kick in. Your pediatrician should be able to get you referrals.

Catherine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.