Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else irked that the Discovery Health Chanal's "Baby Week" (when they show a lot of baby/birth related programs) is sponsored by Nestle Good Start??
:

I know when I was pregnant, I watched all those baby shows, and was under the impression that babies had to be fed formula (in addition to breastfeeding). Thankfully I learned otherwise... but still... anyone up to writing a letter...?

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Uggg...I don't even watch those shows for that very reason! There needs to be a breastfeeding PSA or something to break up the STUPIDITY of those formula commercials...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flor
But it cracks me up that formula commercials have that line on the bottom of the tv that says "Breastmilk is best, ask your doctor."
:LOL :LOL Yeah, my sOB didn't have a clue about BFing! :LOL :LOL

I hate it when the birth story commercial says "births don't go as planned" and show scenes that are meant to scare the sh*t out of new moms.

It's like watching a train wreck.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Quote:

Why are so many of the births csections?
You mean besides the fact that the c-section rate is getting really high anyway? I don't remeber the national rate, but locally, it's 27-29% depending on the hospital. Some of the shows only take moms that are being induced, so that ups the chances for c-section.

We were watching last night, and there was a show with a couple expecting their 15th child. Watching the show, I thought, hmm, they look like the type to breastfeed, cloth diaper, and home birth. It was a hospital birth, the baby was in a sposie, and no mention was made of the baby being fed. Such a letdown.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Quote:

Why are so many of the births csections?
I always assumed some of it had to do with the added pressure that being filmed placed on the doctors. With a filmed record of what happened, I could see a lot of doctors being nervous about any non-perfect outcomes. I don't personally regard a c-section as a "perfect" outcome, but there is that saying about "No one ever got sued for doing a c-section, but plenty have gotten sued for not doing one."

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikel1979
We were watching last night, and there was a show with a couple expecting their 15th child. Watching the show, I thought, hmm, they look like the type to breastfeed, cloth diaper, and home birth. It was a hospital birth, the baby was in a sposie, and no mention was made of the baby being fed. Such a letdown.

I watched that one,too, hoping for a mention of breastfeeding. She did say at one point (about the buddy-system the family uses) that the she is the buddy to the baby until he/she weans. At least it was mentioned, but I get so ticked off when "Health" shows don't do what I think their job is: to educate. I mean, I was so ignorant when I was pregnant I thank my lucky stars I just did some things right naturally until I could find the resources I needed. I mean, I wanted a natural birth from the get go, but let my midwife talk me into induction. I refused pain medication, even though they were practically pushing down my throat. My childbirth class never even mentioned the benefits of breastfeeding; the teacher only said once that newborns don't need any water or juice, just formula or breastmilk.
: As if they are equal.

And I am officially furious at Good Start. I got a little breastfeeding booklet from them right before I had my baby and remember thinking how nice it was of them to include a chart in the book showing how to ration giving a bottle of formula in between breastfeeding. (I also hate an advertisement for Bright Beginnings that quotes one mom saying she chose that brand of formula because she wanted to provide her baby with the very best during that critical first year).

I just don't think there are enough resources out there to educate pregnant mothers. I was just too close to comfort scewing up in ways I would never, never want to screw up.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Well, at least in my area, my store will have our commercial broadcast 2x during the programming EVERY DAY during Baby Week, so we're doing our part to break up the formula ads!

(Our store is a B&M AP/NFL store, we surely don't sell formula!
)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I think that continuous fetal monitoring, incorrect labor and delivery positions *ie, reclined or supine*, inductions, pain medication, anxious to get the baby out as quick as possible attitude, and the desire to make more money all lead to the ever increasing c-section rate. Doctors and nurses generally have little education on natural birth....birth is supposed to be natural and now it's turned into a bad condition a woman needs to be delivered from.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs Dimples
Well, at least in my area, my store will have our commercial broadcast 2x during the programming EVERY DAY during Baby Week, so we're doing our part to break up the formula ads!

(Our store is a B&M AP/NFL store, we surely don't sell formula!
)

YAY!! Thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.