Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in Talk Amongst Ourselves and it was requested I repost here. Here is my original post and a link to the discussion! As usual, MDC has provided me with a very satisfying discussion for a topic on my mind!!!

Is your child into the whole princess craze?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't get the whole princess craze. It seems like every little girl is expected to want to be a princess. I seems the word "princess" now has another meaning other than the daughter of a king and queen. Part of this has to do with the Disney Princesses, but it has certainly spread farther than that.

Thoughts on this?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=503516

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
We "do" princesses, but part of this is because we are in the SCA (medieval reenactment group) so she encounters "actual - pretend" princesses on weekends and those people queens are fighters, administrators, weavers, etc. We have one princess puppet that I've named Princess Dragonslayer and guess what she does?

I've also come to terms with a lot of the fairy tales since I read The Goddess in the Gospels by Starbird. She also wrote The Woman With the Alabaster Jar, which is about the relationship between Christ and Mary Magdalene. I actually like the Goddess in the Gospels better, but it showed the fairly tales in a new light to me - namely that the world won't be whole and right until take their rightful powerful place next to men. Our psyches know this divine feminine aspect is missing from society (sleeping if you will or overshadowed) so we create these mythos to "wake her up." I'm OK with them now. As she gets older we will speak of the metaphors but for now, I do tend the read the stories as written 'cause I'd like her to have that background.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dd has been into the princess craze for 2 years now. Which I really don't mind and don't have a problem with. Growing up I always wanted to be a princess and hoped my dad secretly was a king.

She had a princess birthday party last year and Cinderella came. She likes dressing up all girly girly with lots of lace and jewelry and clomp around the house in my high heels. I don't see it lasting much longer. Who knows??

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
We do SCA also. Last time we were at Target (trolling the toy aisle for what DD might like for her birthday), the only thing to really attract her attention besides the toy kitchen was princess stuff--specifically this cute cloth princess doll.

I personally was a tomboy, but what was MY big fave toy growing up? She-Ra, Princess of Power. Why don't they have more princesses like THAT, I ask you?

I can handle the princess stuff in small doses, as long as it's part of a wider make-believe mentality, and not just part of the Disney marketing engine.

·
Registered
229 Posts
A word of advice: I'm in my 20's and still in this "phase" so to speak. Everyone-friends included- always allowed me to act and be treated like the princess and that was even my nickname for years. If you over spoil and let your dd feel liek a true princess it can be hard to grow out of it
But ofcourse any true girly girly girl wants to be a princess and I think every girl/young woman is and deserves to be a princess at heart

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Everyone..
Gridley13.. I can see what you mean about the whole princess thing.
My daughter when she was a newborn my husband went out and bought her first cartoon DVD of Dora because it caught his attention.. she spoke spanish, which we thought would be great so she can also become more exposed to besides hearing it at home. We never thought 2.5 yrs. later she would still loooove dora. I have her room decorated princess like but with a dora theme.

She also likes princess very much but not the same as Dora. I think us as moms have a big part in all of this. I am very feminine and was super girly when I was young. I was very fortunate to have every Barbie, Doll that did everything// (poop, eat, talk
)

What I don't like is how a lot of girl things come with things such as "Drama Queen ..Goddess...as well as the Princess". I just think that buying those things at such an early age, we kind of condone that kind of behavior from them. Sometimes.. I go to buy her toys.. and the FIRST thing I ask myself.. is that what I want or what SHE wants...

I do find myself in that situation all the time.

But just the norm. of wanting to be in Princess clothes and dressing herself up in heels.. I think that is awesome. My daughter is starting to be in that stage now and I love it. It brings me back to when I was a kid . Sort of like Christmas morning.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
My girls are into princesses, which I find more than passing strange since we don't allow Disney stuff. I am still uncertain as to its genesis, but perhaps Shrek 2 wasn't such a great idea.
That's the only outside thing I can think of with a princess in it.

I don't care. I really don't. It's a relatively small aspect of their imaginary play, and damn it I'd wear a crown all the time if I thought I could get away with it! I think that trying to read deep meaning into it is a little silly, to be honest. Most girls like pretty things and being special, and that is what the princess craze is all about. Now, am I going to be taking my daughters to the girls' spa any time soon? Er, no. But I will continue to buy them $3 plastic tiaras as long as they want me to.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I have 3 girls and none of them have ever shown the slightest interest in princessy things. My middle child has been doing ballet class, where everything has to be pink and they use Disney princess products throughout the classroom, but she has yet to say a word about anything related to "princess".

Personally, I hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I've had to start watching the "is it what she wants or what I want" thing, too. Which is why DD is getting a toy kitchen instead of a castle playset for her birthday. And, maybe, a princess doll.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Aside from a few discussions here on MDC, I have not heard anything about a princess craze. My Dd wants to be a kitten or a bunny, but knows nothing about princesses. I'm not sure where one would hear about them. Watching TV, maybe?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravin

I personally was a tomboy, but what was MY big fave toy growing up? She-Ra, Princess of Power. Why don't they have more princesses like THAT, I ask you?
She-Ra and Xena... those are the kind of "princesses" I like

I don't allow the Disney princesses. I don't mind pretend princess play or stories with princesses, but I can't stand the damsel in distress crap. Granted right now my dd is more interested in swords and dirt than princesses, I'm sure I'll soon be carefully navigating the candy-pink waters of princesses.
:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ravin... I was in your same shoes this past Christmas. When I was little, I had a play kitchen and I've been very impatiently waiting for my daughter to be old enough to buy one and finally bought her the Dora kitchen. It's adorable. The blender makes noise, the phone dials to different people.. and a radio. I also liked the I think it was the playschool brand.. it was a mini grown up kitchen with stainless steal fridge... that's where my hubby drew the line

But overall.. I think it's all fine. Girls are girls.. and if that makes their day then hey... we were all babies once

·
Registered
514 Posts
I seriously thought that I could be a princess when I grew up. In nursery school when kids had to say what they wanted to be... post man, nurse, teacher, doctor, police officer. I was thinking "PRINCESS PEOPLE, DUH!!!" I couldn't understand why more people didn't pick princess.

Boy, was I disillusioned.

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
My daughter love "princess" stuff. But we don't get into the Disney stuff, or the "princess" clothes. Can't stand all those words right across her private areas. I don't want some stranger staring at her, especially in those areas.

But she LOVES pink. And she LOVES "frilly" stuff. So we usually do birthday's and gifts up in a "priincess" type way, with lots of sequens, sparkles, and ribbons. And we buy her lots of "fluffy" dresses that are "royal" looking.

But that is the extent of her desires.

·
Registered
39 Posts
kidzaplenty...oh yea... you are soooooo right about that. I don't want my daugter either wearing outfits with all this stuff now on her tushy.. and on her shirts.. I just don't like it on my little girl. Plus.. too many perverts out there now.
I feel the same way about seeing girls with anklet bracelets! uuugh!!!!!!!
My hubby and I go CRAZY when we see a baby/ toddler with and anklet on!
:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Eh....after a brief (childless) period of 'No way! Never! Down with pink!' I've lightened up a little. My 2.5 yr old DD is into princess dressup and roleplay. Everything sparkly and frilly she has she rec'd as presents from other people. She has older friends who are in preschool where the culture thrives, and has learned everything she needs to know about princesses from them. Oh, she also plays pirates, fisher, fairy, doctor, mommy, office, postal worker, etc. ad nauseum. We encourage creative play and don't vilify it - heck, at the very least, it would put too much of a focus on the 'forbidden fruit'.

It's an archetype of youth and power, and my daughter gets to experiment with power-play and maybe learn things like assertiveness, compassion (for loyal subjects, natch
), good and evil, gender roles. Playing 'King and Queen' with my brother at a young age made me the feminist I am today
I wasn't so groovy with the lack of Queenly power and submission to ANY King.

We don't own any Disney and don't read her the princess-victim fairytales. I do like the Paperbag Princess, etc. When she's older, I would like her to be able to communicate in the cultural language of her peers and she will be intro'd to these things, should she ask. Then we'll talk.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigi2214
I feel the same way about seeing girls with anklet bracelets! uuugh!!!!!!!
My hubby and I go CRAZY when we see a baby/ toddler with and anklet on!
:
Maybe it's because of where I'm from...but what does an ankle bracelet signify? I have NO clue!

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
DD requested to be a princess this year for Halloween.
We do some Disney but never anything with princesses, actually I can't think of anything that she has seen with a princess in it. One of her best little friends is really into the princess and getting married thing, and was a princess last Halloween so I think that is where it came from. So now I've been struggling to find a pattern for a costume that isn't Disney.
:

·
Registered
39 Posts
RainCoastMama..
well to me.. it's used like as something sexy that looks nice. I actually wear one because I like it. My husband says it's something that attracts men, it's used to look sexy...draws attention to your legs and as a child... much less a baby, I just don't see it appropriate. I don't know if others see it that way. It is just a piece of jewelry, but I do not want to draw anything attention in that sexy way to my little girl..

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
My girlfriend and I have always called each other Princess as a joke. But I have hesitated to include DD in that because of teh whole trendiness of the princess thing right now. So we decided to call her the Duchess.
DS is "His Royal Highness".

We'll see what DD is into when she grows up. Right now her favorite toys are balls, so maybe I can hold out hope for a tomboy like myself!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.