Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My monthly potluck thread again...we're going to an Oriental-themed potluck this weekend and I can't think of what to bring. It needs to be something that can serve as the main dish for DD and myself and has to be GFCF, no coconut, and no rice, either, unless I could substitute a different grain. Any suggestions? I was thinking it might be nice to do something besides Chinese but I'm not at all familiar with Thai or Japanese or Korean or other Oriental cuisines and I can't think of anything to make.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The first thing that pops to mind are one of my DD's favorite things-- I am not sure how GFCF they are but you could certianly mix and match veggies that are your favorites.
Vietnamese Transparent Spring Rolls.
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/stat...48/detail.html
I think that the transparent wrappers are made from rice starch- but they are very thin compared to the regular wrappers. With a nice peanut sauce for dipping they might be just the thing you're looking for.

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
You could do a noodle salad using bean threads (mung bean starch).

I've done rice-less sushi rolls... stuff the nori with julienned cuke, carrot, green onion, daikon, some seafood (cooked shrimp or crab usually).

For something really simple, you can take a big bowl of edamame, although I wouldn't want to make an entire meal of it.

A quick flip through a Thai cookbook... curried meatballs or chicken satay jumped out at me. Crab or fish cakes (even chicken) can be done Chinese, Thai or Vietnamese style.

I even found a recipe for Stuffed Cabbage Rolls in one of my cookbooks... stuffed with a filling similar to what you'd find in wontons.

Chicken wings in an asian sauce.

One of my Thai cookbooks had several interesting ideas. Corn cakes with a dipping sauce, hard cooked eggs that are stuffed with pork and shrimp, even a wrapped item (pork and shrimp) with a wrapper made of scrambled eggs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was just reading thru my Mother Earth news and they had an article on white millet-- it used to be a staple in Asia before rice-- they used it like you would use white rice. You could make your favorite stir fry and pour it over cooked white millet.
I know that my HFS carries it, so it really shouldn't be too hard to find. I always giggled when looking at all the grains in the HFS-- thinking that it was silly to eat what I was still feeding the birds in the winter..

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
How about a satay plate of some kind. Skewer meats with a peanut sauce. Chicken, shrimp, beef...You could even do tofu for some veggies. Just grill them/broil them/pan sear them, sprinkle in a bit of rice vinegar and serve with a peanut sauce that meats the dietary restrictions(I think the base you need in it, at the least, is a vinegar, peanut butter, some hot pepper to taste and salt...)

Another idea would be some Thai salads. Crunchy, cabbage based often with some papaya, meat, fresh mint and cilantro, and a fish sauce/lime juice/sesame oil dressing...google for specific recipies on these as I'm just making assumptions based on tasting these dishes...

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
The easiest (and cheapest) thing to do is an asian coleslaw. Take a head of purple cabbage, a head of green cabbage, and a couple big carrots (or lots of little carrots) and shred them all up. Then make a dressing with (amounts approximate, please taste as you go):

1/4 cup white miso
1/8 cup rice vinegar
juice + zest from 2 limes
1/8 cup honey (or more, I find it depends on the honey)
few tsp toasted sesame oil
2 cloves grated garlic
1 inch grated ginger
salt to taste (you will probably need a lot)
OPTIONAL: sambal oelek, if you like things spicy! Just a little dab'll do ya.

Sprinkle sesame seeds on top if you like, they add some more flavour and texture.

This takes all of about 10 minutes to make (if you have a food processor to help you shred) and is super-cheap, especially if you have lots of the stuff as pantry staples. In a pinch, you could sub ACV for the rice vinegar.

ETA: you can leave the miso out if you like too, it just gives the dressing more body and a deeper flavour, but it's fine without it - just increase amounts a bit.

ETA again: I'm not sure if miso is gf or not.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
How about a stir fry? Saute ginger, garlic, onion, and mushrooms in a safe oil, add chicken or beef and cook that, then add some broccolli, some broth (with a safe starch mixed in so it will thicken), GF soy sauce mixed in for extra flavor- if you don't tolerate soy then skip that and use extra mushrooms for depth of flavor and be sure to use salt!

Then you can serve that over millet, or keep it grain-free and let others mix it with rice if they want to (I'm sure somebody else will bring something with rice.)

That asian coleslaw sounds yummy too, and that might be tasty along with the stir fry, if you're up to making 2 dishes.

·
Registered
397 Posts
How about a Korean vegetable noodle dish called Chap Chae? It's easy to make and you can add/delete things according to your taste.

It's made with sweet potato starch noodles, beef (optional), and vegetables (like carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, spinach, and mung bean sprouts). The noodles are nice a stretchy and little kids tend to love the texture. It's a great dish to bring to a potluck because it's best made up the day before and it can be served at room tempurature.

** we're gfcf too, I noticed that wheat free tamari tends to have a stronger flavor than korean soy sauce, so you might want to use less tamari and then adjust to taste.

Here's a recipe for it - of course adjust ingredients to make it more tf friendly

http://koreanfood.about.com/od/ricea...r/chapchae.htm

* 8oz mung bean or sweet potato noodles (might be called cellophane or glass noodles or Chinese vermicelli)
* 1 sweet onion, sliced into thin strips
* 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1/2 pound baby spinach, parboiled
* 2 carrots, julienned
* 3 scallions, chopped
* 1/2 cup chopped Napa cabbage
* 5 shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated if dried and then sliced
* 2 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil
* 2 Tbsp sesame oil
* 3 Tbsp soy sauce
* 1 tsp sugar
* Salt to taste
* Sesame seeds (optional)
* 6 oz. beef or pork (optional)*

Preparation:

1. Cook noodles according to package directions.

2. In a large pan or wok over medium heat, heat vegetable (or olive) oil and 1 Tbsp sesame oil.

3. Add onion slices and garlic and sauté for about 1 minute.

4. Add rest of vegetables and cook for 4-5 minutes, until the vegetables are half-cooked and still a bit crispy.

5. Turn heat to low and add cooked noodles, meat (if using), soy sauce, sugar, and the remaining sesame oil.

6. Mix to combine and cook for another 2 minutes.

7. Add salt or more soy sauce if needed.

8. If using sesame seeds, add them at finish.

(Serves 4)

* The meat needs to be cooked before hand. A Korean beef recipe called bulgolgi is generally used in this dish. Marianade beef in tamari, garlic, onions and a little sweetner (I use honey) for a few hours. Saute beef until cooked then slice into thin strips. I'm sure you can find a more specific bulgolgi recipe on line if you want, but you really don't need to go through a lot of trouble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.